The Flash and Indiana Jones Flopped but Barbie and Oppenheimer Didn't, Why?

JohnRogers

The Flash and latest Indiana Jones film had robust marketing but failed. Some predicted the end of the cinema. Well, we know how that turned out.

Why?

The Flash failed because of Ezra Miller's criminal and lunatic behavior, which turned off many fans.   

It also failed because the film was not very good.    

• Like 5

I want to believe that bad films can still fail, despite massive marketing, and good films will succeed, so that theory is my favorite. It's also possible that superhero fatigue is a thing, and watching an 80-year-old Harrison Ford in this sort of movie isn't likely to move "the kids" and it's not enough to gin up the nostalgia crowd. It would be hard for me to overstate how much I loved the first three films from the '80s, and I still haven't seen this one.

By all accounts, both Oppenheimer and Barbie are fundamentally good movies (directing, acting, you know, movie stuff), plus! they benefitted from each other creating that weird feedback loop Barbenheimer thing. Two of my children have watched both, twice. It's zeitgeist-y.

• Like 2

We pretty much weren't interested in seeing yet another sequel (to anything) or another superhero universe movie. I was interested in Cillian Murphy because he was a good actor in Peaky Blinders. 

I'd see another good car movie (not a Vin Diesel movie.) Rewatched Ford vs Ferrari last night and it was really good.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

While I haven't seen any of these movies and have no interest in ever watching them, I would say it's because Barbie and Oppenheimer are fresh, new movie concepts. Superhero movies have been done to death years ago already. They have well overstayed their welcome. I would say the same about Indiana Jones. Who cares about anything new from that franchise in 2023?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

While I haven't seen any of these movies and have no interest in ever watching them, I would say it's because Barbie and Oppenheimer are fresh, new movie concepts. Superhero movies have been done to death years ago already. They have well overstayed their welcome. I would say the same about Indiana Jones. Who cares about anything new from that franchise in 2023?

were folks even ASKING for more IJ before C

rystal skunk er....Skull.

i mean pretty big in the 80's and should have stayed there IMO

And i loved the superhero films but......it's over.  let it rest.  bring it back in 20 years or more.

Mick

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Principled Man said:

The Flash failed because of Ezra Miller's criminal and lunatic behavior, which turned off many fans.   

It also failed because the film was not very good.    

Ezra Miller has to have been a factor in our current cancel culture, no way someone that cringe gets off scot-free. There is possible over saturation of super hero films. For some fans taking what was Snyderverse then trying to make it fit in the new DCEU with reshoots and muck around was a turn off. I’ve read too many positive reviews to buy in that the film wasn’t any good. 

I’l stream it next month. 

Edited by JohnRogers

Reviews, plain and simple and because Christopher Nolan spells out Christopher Nolan.  Tenet aside because of COVID and mixed reviews, his movies have made a healthy profit even dating back to Memento. Oh, and Ezra Miller has been persona non grata with DC just as much as Amber Turd.

Then again, some acclaimed audience loved movies still don't make money like Are....Margaret and Joy Ride because of poor marketing.  This means you, Lionsgate!

Edited by invisible airwave

5 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I’ve read too many positive reviews to buy in that the film wasn’t any good. 

There were some good things in the film, but not enough for me to give it a 👍.   I’ve seen good and bad reviews of the film.  

I totally agree about the supersaturation of superhero films.  I’ve become quite disinterested in them, especially because several of the most recent ones have been pretty lame, in my opinion.  I think the genre is soon to be kaput.  

• Like 1