King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard!

I've started my first run with these guys. This band is delightfully genre-confused. So glad I discovered them. Nonagon Infinity and Infest the Rats' Nest are great listens. Anyone else check these guys out?

• Like 2

I listened to a bunch of their stuff around 2015 -2019 period.

They are massively prolific but if space rock is your thing, they are a good representation of the genre.

My personal faves would be Nonagon Infinity, Flying Microtonal Banana and Polygondwanaland but there are loads of decent albums to pick from.

Edited by zepphead

I've heard Dragon and Gila Monster from their latest album - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night.

It sounds like really good parody of Space Thrash Metal (did I just make up a new genre of Metal?)  It's like they are making fun of the style, while really paying homage to it.

I really enjoy all I've heard. 

Refreshingly boundless and honestly so much fun. They have a lot of albums though, and so far, nothing has struck me as so great I want to replay it endlessly. But when I do put something of theirs on, I enjoy it a lot.

9 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

I've started my first run with these guys. This band is delightfully genre-confused. So glad I discovered them. Nonagon Infinity and Infest the Rats' Nest are great listens. Anyone else check these guys out?

If you like Infest the Rats' Nest be sure to give their latest -- PetroDragonic Apocalypse -- a spin!

• Like 1

I got into them a few years ago, they came up on my Discover Weekly on Spotify. I like their more metal/hard rock  stuff, but I also really enjoyed Butterfly 3000, I bumped it in my car all the time. I've missed several chances to see them over the years, but I will someday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chronos said:

If you like Infest the Rats' Nest be sure to give their latest -- PetroDragonic Apocalypse -- a spin!

I'm revisiting stuff I've listened to already after doing Rats' Nest. I'm appreciating how they've evolved even more now that I compare them. So far I've gone through:

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz

Nonagon Infinity

Polygondwanaland

Infest the Rats' Nest

Polygondwanaland has a few moments where things don't quite click for me but it's also pretty dense and I need more time with it.

PetroDragonic Apocalypse is next on my list!

13 hours ago, Maverick said:

I've heard Dragon and Gila Monster from their latest album - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night.

It sounds like really good parody of Space Thrash Metal (did I just make up a new genre of Metal?)  It's like they are making fun of the style, while really paying homage to it.

This is how I feel about Infest the Rats' Nest, without having heard the new one. It's almost comedic for sure, their take on it, but not quite parodying it. They're into it 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

This is how I feel about Infest the Rats' Nest, without having heard the new one. It's almost comedic for sure, their take on it, but not quite parodying it. They're into it 

Exactly.  They're making fun of it, having fun with it, while doing it justice.  Very cleverly done.

• Like 2

I went through and listened to their studio albums in order this year before PetroDragon was released was released. It was exhausting. Initially I was drawn in by Nonagon Infinity because I liked playing the album on a loop for hours at a time back in 2016. I like Infest the Rat's Nest and Polygondwanaland a lot, but they've really been on a roll since the start of 2022. For anyone getting into them, Omnium Gatherum is a perfect starting point since it has a little bit of everything they've done so far, and a couple hip hop tracks because why not?!

17 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I like PetroDragon, but I think Infest the Rats' Nest is the stronger of the two metal albums. Gaia is probably their best metal song and it's not on either album!

I just wrapped up PetroDragonic Apocalypse, and I think I prefer the opposite! They're both great. I think I prefer the more "prog metal" sound on this one over the more 80s thrash sound on Infest the Rats' Nest. These guys can definitely do metal even if they go out of their way to be cheesy with it 

Made it through the whole studio discography. I thought I'd be exhausted at this point but I'm starting to go through some live shows and it's elevated everything even more. Wish I found these guys sooner

• Like 1