Which song is most UNLIKE the other songs on its album?

Weatherman

Which song is most UNLIKE the others songs on its album?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these songs LEAST matches the other songs on the album?

• By-Tor and the Snow Dog (on FBN)
    • I Think I'm Going Bald (on CoS)
    • Cinderella Man (on AFTK)
    • Circumstances (on H)
    • Vital Signs (on MP)
    • Mystic Rhythms (on PW)
    • Tai Shan (on HYF)

Pretty good question actually. I’ll have to go with Vital Signs. Nothing else on MP really has that reggae influenced sound to it, and it’s a pretty prominent element of VS.

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Pretty good question actually. I’ll have to go with Vital Signs. Nothing else on MP really has that reggae influenced sound to it, and it’s a pretty prominent element of VS.

5 hours ago, taurus said:

I voted Vital Signs as well. Perfect segue into their next album. VS would have fit seamlessly on to Signals - even has the words "Signals" in it

Ditto ...... very much a portent of things to come.

32 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Ditto ...... very much a portent of things to come.

I've always thought "everybody got to deviate from the norm" was a message to Terry.

• Like 2

I love "Vital Signs"!

I don't love "I Think I'm Going Bald" which is certainly a joke song (or, if you prefer, "more lighthearted") in the midst of maybe-too-self-serious CoS, what with Necromancers and Fountains and whatnot. And that's exactly why it sticks out so badly.

• Like 2

I almost picked Vital Signs...I agree with what everyone has said about it...but in terms of TONE I think it fits MP quite well...whereas I Think I"m Going Bald (my pick) sticks out like a sore thumb on COS.  It's silly on an album that is otherwise quite serious (minus the nostalgia of Lakeside Park) and it is kind of the opposite of progressive, being essentially a copy of the In The Mood riff.  Vital Signs (one of my top 5 Rush songs) doesn't stick out on MP...it's just perfectly placed to show that they are headed somewhere else...but to me it sits perfectly on that record.

• Like 1

Always thought limelight a bit different to the rest of album -  just Al's guitar has a different more basic rock sound to rest of tracks. Vital Signs more in keeping with the album i find

23 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The spirit of radio is the only reggae influenced song on permanent waves. 

Imo witch hunt is the most unlike other songs on MP.

My vote goes to Tai shan.

Yikes. What a dud

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tangy said:

The spirit of radio is the only reggae influenced song on permanent waves. 

Imo witch hunt is the most unlike other songs on MP.

My vote goes to Tai shan.

Yikes. What a dud

Witch Hunt is the next best contender, I’ll grant you that, but it wasn’t one of the pool options, and while TSOR has that little reggae section at the end (which doesn’t take long to break back into pretty straight rock and roll), VS fully embraces their growing Police influence and resembles what would come on the next few albums (especially GuP) more strongly than anything else they’d done up to that point.