Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Epica- The Phantom Agony

I think as I mature, I find Epica's take on epic symphonic metal more challenging, more exciting than that of Nightwish. This debut picks up where Mark Jansen left off with After Forever, and it's a wonderful album. 

I love Nightwish, but seeing Epica's star continue to rise is astonishing to me. I'm not sure they've even peaked yet.

Simone is releasing a solo album. The new single is solid. It's the most Epica like song on the album she said. There is supposed to be some songs that are different from symphonic metal on it.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor Swift- The Tortured Poets Department 

Inching it's way higher and higher on my list, what I most admire about this album is how unsafe it is. Midnights was a blockbuster pop album, the sort she's done brilliantly before, but even BIGGER. Like Springsteen did after Born In The USA, she dialled it down and accomplished something special: a challenging, adult pop album about relationships, mental health, and growing older. The hooks are still huge but the way she has executed them is different. More nuanced and layered.

She also doesn't seem like a superstar here. She seems more jaded and tired, and weary.

I love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Simone is releasing a solo album. The new single is solid. It's the most Epica like song on the album she said. There is supposed to be some songs that are different from symphonic metal on it.

I like the new single. I admit I was more enamoured with her breasts in the video...my oh my

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I like the new single. I admit I was more enamoured with her breasts in the video...my oh my

Uh-oh! Is Simone about to turn you? 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Uh-oh! Is Simone about to turn you? 😄

Very likely 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Dua Lipa-Radical Optimism

I. LOVE. THIS. ALBUM.

i've been playing it quietly for daays.  Gonna be honest didn't know she was planning a new one.  wasn't paying attention.  Listen i know Future nostalgia was the fun album we needed.

But i think this album is far better. I found myself singing the hooks more.  the beats are infectious.  the production's amazing.  This album must be drugs cause i've been coming back and back and back and back in a way i NEVER EVER did with FN.

Pop is having a ground swell baby.

Mick

• Like 2

King Crimson - Beat

Not as good as Discipline, but a few big standouts. Neal And Jack And Me, Sartori In Tangier, and Requiem are all rad.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:17 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

This is an emotional journey. The songs tell the story of someone so entrenched in their own pain and insecurity that they won’t give real connection a real chance, and they wind up hurting other people, but then that desire for realness breaks in and they accept love over control. By the end they find their pain is gone as they realize they only feel happy for people they’ve left behind moving on. Are any of the songs as individually strong as the singles on Future Nostalgia? Probably not, but imo that album also had some kinda frivolous filler, I don’t think this one does. Plus, amazingly, the instrumentals are just as strong, if not stronger. The last record had vibe, this one has atmosphere. I’m reminded of the production of my favorite Muse album in its best moments, The Resistance. A sonic landscape worth revisiting on its own merits, regardless of the songs, which are still good, even great at times.

i just saw this post.  and i agree my man.  FN is great and fun in a time when we needed fun.........BUUUUUT...... i think RO is gonna have far better legs for it is surprisingly layered to where FN is just fun times bitches!!!

i've played RO 9 times already.

Mick

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Doing what Cristina couldn't. That's very impressive.

Where's your top 10 Ozzy-era Sabbath songs? 

14 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i just saw this post.  and i agree my man.  FN is great and fun in a time when we needed fun.........BUUUUUT...... i think RO is gonna have far better legs for it is surprisingly layered to where FN is just fun times bitches!!!

i've played RO 9 times already.

Mick

I’m not sure where it’s gonna end up for me. There’s a good deal in there lyrically that speaks to a piece of my story I’ve been reckoning with all year, so I’m not like diving in headfirst. Same reason I’m holding off on TTPD for a while, though I expect to really like it when I do listen. What I will say is I slotted RO in a tentative spot on my ever growing aoty list, and it was pretty high off the bat.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’m not sure where it’s gonna end up for me. There’s a good deal in there lyrically that speaks to a piece of my story I’ve been reckoning with all year, so I’m not like diving in headfirst. Same reason I’m holding off on TTPD for a while, though I expect to really like it when I do listen. What I will say is I slotted RO in a tentative spot on my ever growing aoty list, and it was pretty high off the bat.

this year is A GOOD year man.  there's been tons for me.  i'm real pumped for billie.  like way super exciteed.

and you'll love TTPD.  it'as rapidly become my fav of hers.  i think it's musically and lyrically leaps ahead in maturity.  (i do think she's had a problem growing musically lately but she's done it)

I think it's a good idea you waited.  Avoid the rapid hype till it's been a while.

Mick

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

this year is A GOOD year man.  there's been tons for me.  i'm real pumped for billie.  like way super exciteed.

and you'll love TTPD.  it'as rapidly become my fav of hers.  i think it's musically and lyrically leaps ahead in maturity.  (i do think she's had a problem growing musically lately but she's done it)

I think it's a good idea you waited.  Avoid the rapid hype till it's been a while.

Mick

Oh yeah I’m psyched for Billie. No idea what to expect, but after HTE my expectations are massive.  Also, not really the same sphere, but I’m very interested in the upcoming 21P record as well. Been avoiding most of the singles so I can listen fresh the first time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Do you know about the Martin era box set coming out this month?

Yeah I'll pick it up eventually. Are you getting it?

Edited by treeduck

On 5/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, Segue Myles said:

Pearl Jam- Binaural 

Pearl Jam- Riot Act

Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam- Backspacer 

Pearl Jam- Lightning Bolt 

Pearl Jam- Gigaton 

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter

Oops I did a PJ 21st Century marathon, and I liked it. Hope my boyfriend don't mind it.

(He did)

I can't imagine what other binges that poor man has had to endure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mastodon - Leviathan

Paradise Lost - Obsidian

High on Fire - Cometh the Storm

Death - The Sound of Perseverance

King Crimson - RED

Vektor - Terminal Redux

Unleash the Archers - Phantoma

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I can't imagine what other binges that poor man has had to endure.

Makes up for the endless rewatches of Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Hannibal, and hours and HOURS spent playing Fallout 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Makes up for the endless rewatches of Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Hannibal, and hours and HOURS spent playing Fallout 🤣

If he listened to the right radio stations in the game, you've received a lifetime's worth of Marty Robbins' music

• Like 1
  • Haha 1