Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

26 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Pearl Jam-Dark Matter (6/10)

OK so i've sat with this album and yea big disappointment after gigaton.  

i listened past the production (whis is also bad...done by the same guy who did Hackney Diamonds.  another bad production job.) and this album really doesn't do much for me.

More lightning bolt than anything else.  there's my problem not an LB guy.

i don't think i'll be revisiting this that often.

Mick

This is the Hackney Diamonds guy? I literally was thinking of comparing the production weirdness on Eddie’s vox to Mick’s from that album yesterday. Wow. My ears must be better than I thought lol. I was not a fan of how that last Stones album sounded, and Mick’s voice was a big reason why. This one isn’t as bad as that, but it’s not great.

Side note though, and this could be nostalgia talking, but I remember really enjoying Lightning Bolt when it came out. Those were just better written songs I think. I still remember the singles well, and I haven’t heard them in years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

This is the Hackney Diamonds guy? I literally was thinking of comparing the production weirdness on Eddie’s vox to Mick’s from that album yesterday. Wow. My ears must be better than I thought lol. I was not a fan of how that last Stones album sounded, and Mick’s voice was a big reason why. This one isn’t as bad as that, but it’s not great.

Side note though, and this could be nostalgia talking, but I remember really enjoying Lightning Bolt when it came out. Those were just better written songs I think. I still remember the singles well, and I haven’t heard them in years. 

What was your problem with his voice? He sounds exactly like Mick Jagger to me on the new album 

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

What was your problem with his voice? He sounds exactly like Mick Jagger to me on the new album 

His vocals were super processed and unnatural sounding on Hackney Diamonds. The dynamics were all off, the pitch felt too on the nose, and overall there was this layer of effects to it that felt really out of place, like I was listening to AI Mick. If you can’t hear all of that then I’m glad you get to enjoy an album I can’t.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

this guy worked with pop acts.  why he's working with rock acts like PJ and the Stones don't know.

i liked the stones album but that production stunk too.

Mick

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

this guy worked with pop acts.  why he's working with rock acts like PJ and the Stones don't know.

i liked the stones album but that production stunk too.

Mick

Not just any pop acts either. He’s a tried and true hit maker. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Watt_(record_producer)

Apparently he also plays guitar in Eddie’s solo backing band, so that’s probably got something to do with his presence here.

• Like 2

Billie Eilish-Happier Than Ever (9/10)

I REALLY REEEALLY like this girl now.  i short changed her a lot.

There's a handful of people trying to bring pop outta the mud.  Olivia, Taylor, Sabrina Carpenter. WILLOW.   i'd even put the Weeknd there as well.  and yes......Billie Eilish has to be named.  ESPECIALLY after this sophmore album.

i mean.  Take your pick of tracks on here.  i was gonna list favs but it's literally highlight upon highlight for me.  Her lyrics are super relatable even with me at 39, lol.  she's mixing genres pretty smoothly.  and got  tyo say more nuanced singer then she appears.

She has a new album next month so i'm excited.

I like the debut.....but I LOVE Happier Than Ever.

Mick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

There's a handful of people trying to bring pop outta the mud.  Olivia, Taylor, Sabrina Carpenter. WILLOW.   i'd even put the Weeknd there as well.  and yes......Billie Eilish has to be named.  ESPECIALLY after this sophmore album.

i mean.  Take your pick of tracks on here.  i was gonna list favs but it's literally highlight upon highlight for me.  Her lyrics are super relatable even with me at 39, lol.  she's mixing genres pretty smoothly.  and got  tyo say more nuanced singer then she appears.

Mick

YES!!

I have no idea where the negativity towards her originates. This is pop music at its best. Forward thinking, relatable, sing able, impressive, and backed with some actual quite classic ideals (Billie Bossa anyone?) Plus the girl can SING. She might be the best vocalist in the top 40 right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

YES!!

I have no idea where the negativity towards her originates. This is pop music at its best. Forward thinking, relatable, sing able, impressive, and backed with some actual quite classic ideals (Billie Bossa anyone?) Plus the girl can SING. She might be the best vocalist in the top 40 right now.

her backing vocals with herself too.  a few of those made me back up the song to hear them again.

i think she gets flack because of her image from that first album.  but really that's not her (at least fully)  she's hilarious in interviews too.  like she seems really chill.

i can't wait till next month.

This seconed album was special as fukk.

Mick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

her backing vocals with herself too.  a few of those made me back up the song to hear them again.

i think she gets flack because of her image from that first album.  but really that's not her (at least fully)  she's hilarious in interviews too.  like she seems really chill.

i can't wait till next month.

This seconed album was special as fukk.

Mick

You know I’m a sucker for good backing vox. Man she’s incredible. She and Olivia should work together honestly. Idk what it would sound like but it just couldn’t be average.

• Like 2

Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Yeah I’m sorry this just doesn’t do much for me. I like the opener pretty well, and like there’s nothing here I’d turn off if it came on the radio (not that I can hear like… *any* of this getting much airtime… where are the hooks?). The songwriting just doesn’t pull me in, and the production is so wrong for this kind of band. You know what a great PJ record *sounds* like? It sound like Vs. Or like Vitalogy. Those records had character without having to try too hard either. I get if they want to chase a new sound, but I ain’t hearing any really new musical ideas to back up that decision either. Everything sounds too compressed, nothing breathes, and nothing surprises me. Again. I don’t hate it, but there’s shockingly little here that I really care about at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

His vocals were super processed and unnatural sounding on Hackney Diamonds. The dynamics were all off, the pitch felt too on the nose, and overall there was this layer of effects to it that felt really out of place, like I was listening to AI Mick. If you can’t hear all of that then I’m glad you get to enjoy an album I can’t.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Good, lol. Enjoy the record I can’t.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Yeah I’m sorry this just doesn’t do much for me. I like the opener pretty well, and like there’s nothing here I’d turn off if it came on the radio (not that I can hear like… *any* of this getting much airtime… where are the hooks?). The songwriting just doesn’t pull me in, and the production is so wrong for this kind of band. You know what a great PJ record *sounds* like? It sound like Vs. Or like Vitalogy. Those records had character without having to try too hard either. I get if they want to chase a new sound, but I ain’t hearing any really new musical ideas to back up that decision either. Everything sounds too compressed, nothing breathes, and nothing surprises me. Again. I don’t hate it, but there’s shockingly little here that I really care about at all.

this record just passed me by in a wall of white noise.  some people like it (way to go Segue, lol)

but i can't get into it......since i loved gigaton this just disappointed me.

But that's my PJ story in general.  like one.....hate one.....and on and on it goes, lol

Mick

• Like 1

The Weeknd-After Hours (10/10)

Another guy who i think is making really cool pop records he's more on the R N B side but he is just really unique i think.

Mick

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I love every song on this album. I’m super excited for her new album

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 2

Just now, Union 5-3992 said:

I didn't know she had a new album. Now I know what I'm listening to this afternoon

A new friend of mine is a big fan of hers, so I figured I’d make it my new album of the week when I heard she had one coming out today.  I’m hearing Björk, Kate Bush, Radiohead, and a bit of Muse even. And actually my initial favorite track reminds me of Five Years by David Bowie.