The Cat 3

Beyoncé- Lemonade

Still an astonishing masterpiece. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get Your Wings

My intro to Aerosmith.   Back in 1974 I walked into a dorm room at college and this album was blasting.   I sat down :smoke:  and listened to the rest of the album.  Aerosmith was now on my radar.  I saw them in Central Park the summer of 1975 and they blew me away.

Got tickets for the band Feb 2025 at MSG. 

Love this song with the headphones on. 

Edited by custom55
  • Like 5

Jacob Collier - Djesse Vol. 4

I must be insane, because this just shot straight to the top of my 2024 aoty list. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s totally beatable, but I had no expectation of loving it out of the gate. He’s got the flavors of James Taylor, Coldplay, and 100 Gecs all mixed together in my ears and somehow balanced in a way that totally works for me.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Stones - It's Only Rock N Roll

I always thought the sound on this album was muddy. 

Side 1 is great while side 2, meh.  Fingerprint File is the winner of side 2. 

53662204213_e3bd0fa192_z.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 5

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

Deftones - White Pony

Another Sky - Beach Day

Oo, glad I decided to turn the page backwards and check out some records from earlier this year that I missed. This one should place high on my year end list.

Worked from home today for parts of the day (had to take part off to take mom to a dr.'s appointment) so that gave me another chance to pull out more vinyl while I worked.  First album out:

Historical Anthology of Music - Processional & Ceremonial Music

A collection of works by Giovanni Gabrielle (1557 - 1612).  Enjoyable classical music.  Next out of the box:

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

One of my very favorite works of classical music.  We got this when I was a young child and I listened to it a ton.  Still is excellent.  Next out of the box:

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite

Very enjoyable.  Next out of the box:

Reds - The Soundtrack to the movie

Saw this movie in the theater when it came out in 1981.  I recall it being a long movie - so long it had a break during it.  I was not crazy about it but my parents liked it and may dad loved the music so my mom bought him the soundtrack.  Many years latter they gave it to me.  Its ok.  Nothing I am crazy about though.  Kind of filler for me.  Next out of the box:

Franz Lehr - The Merry Widow

An operetta written in 1905.  This recording was done in 1978.  My parents saw it live when they lived in England in 1958 & 1959.  They both liked it, esp. my dad.  For me though its mostly filler.  Nothing that thrills me.  Next out of the box:

Rodgers & Hammerstein - The Sound of Music

The soundtrack to the movie starring Julie Andrews & Christopher Plummer.  I enjoy the movie and we bought the soundtrack when I was a kid and we listened to it a ton back then.  Still very good.  Next out of the box:

Hymns Triumphant Volume I

A collection of traditional hymns by the London Philharmonic Choir.  Good stuff - I can recall mom singing some of them to me when I was a very little kid and she was putting me to bed- esp. "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow".

Clearly it was classical music day.  Best work?  1812 Overture.

• Like 2

Taylor Swift- The Tortured Poets Department

And just like that, you have my album of the year.

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter

And just like that, Pearl Jam delivers the goods. Don't mind if I do...

Are my top two albums from two of my top three artists/bands both out today?

Lacuna Coil- new single, has a title, not sure it matters 

Didn't like it. Bored.

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Taylor Swift- The Tortured Poets Department

And just like that, you have my album of the year.

You need one of those old “that was easy” buttons, lol.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You need one of those old “that was easy” buttons, lol.

This new album has no clear pop singles, it's very morose and honest and it's like...you know Back To December, where she looks within and sees mistakes she's made? It's that vibe. It's reminding me of solo Phil Collins, with a subtle return of guitars at times and the drumming sounds live and dynamic.

It sounds like an album she needed to me rather than HEY, HERE ARE MORE BANGERS.

I don't know if this will sell as well as previous works but it could be her Tunnel Of Love.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter

And just like that, Pearl Jam delivers the goods. Don't mind if I do...

Are my top two albums from two of my top three artists/bands both out today?

Lacuna Coil- new single, has a title, not sure it matters 

Didn't like it. Bored.

That new Lacuna Coil track is pretty bland. Even more than Never Dawn. Even with help from another band the song isn't much. The new Within Temptation single is much better. At least the chorus has a hook.

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That new Lacuna Coil track is pretty bland. Even more than Never Dawn. Even with help from another band the song isn't much. The new Within Temptation single is much better. At least the chorus has a hook.

I didn't like the new WT either

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This new album has no clear pop singles, it's very morose and honest and it's like...you know Back To December, where she looks within and sees mistakes she's made? It's that vibe. It's reminding me of solo Phil Collins, with a subtle return of guitars at times and the drumming sounds live and dynamic.

It sounds like an album she needed to me rather than HEY, HERE ARE MORE BANGERS.

I don't know if this will sell as well as previous works but it could be her Tunnel Of Love.

I mean I was already planning on giving it a listen this weekend, but name checking Back To December as a reference? *Now* I’m interested, lol.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean I was already planning on giving it a listen this weekend, but name checking Back To December as a reference? *Now* I’m interested, lol.

The album is such an interesting deviation from Midnights. It introduces really interesting elements of post rock at times, impactful drum fills, their is something very Phil Collins like about the arrangements and tone of the songs. And some songs remind me of early U2 production wise. My Boy Only Breaks His Favourite Toys reminds me of the sound of October, for example.

And...there are no immediate hit singles here. This whole album is very personal, it's a vibe. I can't tell how this is going to go down with fans. But I could see it becoming a major fan favourite. 

• Like 1

Neil Young - Time Fades Away

Handsome Jack - A Good Thing

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

The Doors - LA Woman

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Mojo

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hard Promises

Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

• Like 4