The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, treeduck said:

In the coffin the rest of the week?

Oh maybe, lol

Worked from home today (last time for a few days - likely won't again till Thursday this week) so that gave me another chance to pull more vinyl out of the moving box.  First out:

Patty Smyth - Never Enough

After her success with Scandal and their "The Warrior" album Patty went solo and this was her first album.  It's the only album by her I ever picked up.  So you would think I did not care for it.  Well, I have a complicated reaction to it.  I was hoping for more songs like the title track to the Scandal album - that was a big hit.  The first song (the title track) on this album is in that direction.  After that it resembles most of the songs on The Warrior.  So it did not quite go in the direction I wanted.  That being said, I like The Warrior.  Its an album that when I listen to it I never skip a song.  And this album I rather enjoy - "Isn't It Enough & "Sue Lee" are the other standout songs on the album for me.  In fact, I never skip a song on this album when I listen to it.  So its a good album - did not go in the direction I wanted but I still like the entire album.  Next out of the box:

Journey - Evolution

This starts with the very good "Majestic" & "Too Late".  Then it has "Lovin, Touchin, Sqeezing" & "City of The Angles" which were hits but I don't care for them and generally will skip listening to them.  There are some other ok songs and side 2 has the very good "Just The Same Way" which is (IMO) the best song on the record.  A decent album and a sign Journey was going in the right direction.  But other than the 3 songs I mentioned I like, nothing I am crazy for.  Good album cover though.  Next out:

Journey - Escape

First off, good album cover.  Side 1 has the excellent "Don't Stop Believing" and the equally (IMO) excellent "Stone In Love".  Then the very strong "Who's Crying Now", "Keep on Run-in'" & "Still They Ride".  Side 2 starts out with 3 songs that did not impress me but then closes with the very strong "Mother, Father" and the excellent "Open Arms".  IMO this is Journey's best album.  Very good - but it does have 3 songs that don't do much for me on side 2.  On the other had it has a bunch of very strong or excellent songs.  Next out of the box:

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

An album I never skip a song on when I listen to it.  Don't care for the art work - Dee Snider in make up etc does not thrill me.  But the songs fit tougher well with 3 big hits ("We're Not Gonna Take It", I Wanna Rick" and "The Price") which deserved to be hits and everything else is very good.  Like this album still.  Next out of the box:

Whitesnake - Whitsnake

Excellent album.  Another album I never skip a song on when I listen to it.  Side 1 does have the over played "Here I go Again" but its still a good song.  Plus it has the awesome "Still of The Night" and the very good "Cryin In The Rain" & "Bad Boys".  Side 2 is not as good but like I said, I still don't skip anything there.  Last out of the box:

Def Leppard - Hysteria

This is where DL went wrong.  At the time I was disappointed in the album.  I considered it a major drop off from their first 3 albums (esp their 2nd and 3rd albums).  Like a huge drop off - and trust me I really tried listening to it.  The first 3 albums had generated a lot of good will from me to the band.  Their are some songs on it I liked and still find to be ok.  The title track, "Armageddon It", "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Animal" & "Gods Of War" are all ok.  But not close to anything on their 2nd and 3rd albums.  Over all I was disappointed at the time and its not aged well.

Best song of the day?  Either "Don't Stop Believing", "Stone In Love" or "Still Of The Night".  Worst album?  Hysteria.  Best album?  Hard to pick - their are 3 albums I never skip a song on plus Journey's best album.  Journey's best album however has a few weak songs on it so its down to the 3 albums I don't skip anything on.   I guess Whitsnake gets the nod as the best album of the day.  Good day musically though.

Then I took part of the PM off to watch the eclipse.  Where I live we got 90+ % of the eclipse.  Very interesting and enjoyable.  

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 2

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

My only issue with this album is the production. It sounds overdone, which is so sad after Broken Crown Halo and Delirium each sounded perfect for different reasons. Black Anima really deserved to sound like a combination of the two. It doesn't ruin the experience for me, great songs are still great songs, but yikes...I feel sometimes like the vocal effects are distracting from the killer vocals on display. The live album from this era proves that Andrea and Cristina are at the peak of their respective powers, so what gives? I put it down to the band only recently self producing, and perhaps being a little over confident after the killer job they did self producing Delirium. 

Comalies XX sounded fantastic in terms of sonic clarity so hopefully it's a one off.

Speaking of Comalies XX...

Lacuna Coil- Comalies XX

Comalies is an iconic album for my generation. It came out in 2002, and defined that era of female dominated metal, particularly from Europe, in a way only really matched by Within Temptation and Nightwish. The style of metal is flourishing now, thanks to the impact of records like this.

Anyway, the band said this is what they think Comalies would sound like now if they recorded it for the first time. And you know what? I call bullshit. Broken Crown Halo to my ears sounded the closest to a "modern" Comalies. Delirium and Black Anima also really show off their expertise at bold atmospherics with pop metal hooks. Lacuna Coil have never truly squandered their ability to create atmospheric metal with heart and soul.

And that's why I think Comalies XX is a massive misfire. They transform a collection of brilliant songs, and rip out their soul. This is a really poor album. Their are aspects I love (some of these versions are so, so dynamic live), and one or two versions I enjoy as much as the originals (Daylight Dancer and The Ghost Woman And The Hunter), but what made Comalies so special was its atmosphere: it had an ambient, hazy, melancholic feel that felt like an intense reverie. Its something I think Lacuna Coil are very good at, and when they abandon atmosphere for hooks, they suffer (Comalies XX is their most faceless, overtly clean and, honestly, lifeless sounding album since Shallow Life. That album at least had some killer pop songs, and the novelty that we had never heard them sound like that before).

If Lacuna Coil wanted to show off 20 years of evolution with a new recording, they could have joyfully recreated their music without having to make it this bizarrely clean, overly calculated, totally free of personality metal album. They mistake being LOUDER for being heavier. Whilst this album is objectively heavier than the 2002 original, in terms of feel, its as shallow as it gets.

Still, I do like the new Daylight Dancer, and vocally, as always, the singers are on peak form.

But if this is what the band thinks they sound like at their best, I'm worried.

However, I won't deny I think Andrea and Cristina sound fantastic, and the particularly faithful rendition of Swamped here shows how much they have grown without sacrificing too much of what made the original so special (it lacks the warmth and sensuality of the original though).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Lacuna Coil- In A Reverie

Lovely little album. They weren't yet on the level of The Gathering or Paradise Lost, but they were clearly on the right track.

Lacuna Coil- Shallow Life

I wish I hated this album, I feel left out. Oh well. Guess I will just have to keep on enjoying it...but not as much as anything else they did.

I like this handbag pop era of Lacuna Coil. I Like It is a crunchy pop rocker ready made for Glee or High School Musical. What's the iss...oh wait, never mind. I get it.

Sorry, I still singalong to every word 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

My only issue with this album is the production. It sounds overdone, which is so sad after Broken Crown Halo and Delirium each sounded perfect for different reasons. Black Anima really deserved to sound like a combination of the two. It doesn't ruin the experience for me, great songs are still great songs, but yikes...I feel sometimes like the vocal effects are distracting from the killer vocals on display. The live album from this era proves that Andrea and Cristina are at the peak of their respective powers, so what gives? I put it down to the band only recently self producing, and perhaps being a little over confident after the killer job they did self producing Delirium. 

Comalies XX sounded fantastic in terms of sonic clarity so hopefully it's a one off.

Speaking of Comalies XX...

Lacuna Coil- Comalies XX

Comalies is an iconic album for my generation. It came out in 2002, and defined that era of female dominated metal, particularly from Europe, in a way only really matched by Within Temptation and Nightwish. The style of metal is flourishing now, thanks to the impact of records like this.

Anyway, the band said this is what they think Comalies would sound like now if they recorded it for the first time. And you know what? I call bullshit. Broken Crown Halo to my ears sounded the closest to a "modern" Comalies. Delirium and Black Anima also really show off their expertise at bold atmospherics with pop metal hooks. Lacuna Coil have never truly squandered their ability to create atmospheric metal with heart and soul.

And that's why I think Comalies XX is a massive misfire. They transform a collection of brilliant songs, and rip out their soul. This is a really poor album. Their are aspects I love (some of these versions are so, so dynamic live), and one or two versions I enjoy as much as the originals (Daylight Dancer and The Ghost Woman And The Hunter), but what made Comalies so special was its atmosphere: it had an ambient, hazy, melancholic feel that felt like an intense reverie. Its something I think Lacuna Coil are very good at, and when they abandon atmosphere for hooks, they suffer (Comalies XX is their most faceless, overtly clean and, honestly, lifeless sounding album since Shallow Life. That album at least had some killer pop songs, and the novelty that we had never heard them sound like that before).

If Lacuna Coil wanted to show off 20 years of evolution with a new recording, they could have joyfully recreated their music without having to make it this bizarrely clean, overly calculated, totally free of personality metal album. They mistake being LOUDER for being heavier. Whilst this album is objectively heavier than the 2002 original, in terms of feel, its as shallow as it gets.

Still, I do like the new Daylight Dancer, and vocally, as always, the singers are on peak form.

But if this is what the band thinks they sound like at their best, I'm worried.

However, I won't deny I think Andrea and Cristina sound fantastic, and the particularly faithful rendition of Swamped here shows how much they have grown without sacrificing too much of what made the original so special (it lacks the warmth and sensuality of the original though).

Butchered Comalies is toilet worthy. I have no idea what they were thinking? I would rather the band just stay quiet for an extended period of time and work on new material instead of trying something like this. I sometimes think things like this are pushed on the band by the record label because when I listen to it I'm baffled as to why any band would want to do something like this to an album that is considered by many to be their best and be ok with it.

19 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Butchered Comalies is toilet worthy. I have no idea what they were thinking? I would rather the band just stay quiet for an extended period of time and work on new material instead of trying something like this. I sometimes think things like this are pushed on the band by the record label because when I listen to it I'm baffled as to why any band would want to do something like this to an album that is considered by many to be their best and be ok with it.

I've noted a lot of bands doing re-recordings lately. Paradise Lost, Sonata Arctica, In Flames and I'm sure many more...I think it's an easy sell.

The worst part of the new Comalies for me is that it is actually a really well done album. Great vocals, great songs, great playing...but we know how it sounded before and that ruins any chance of enjoying this version.

And honestly, one thing I've noticed is a lack of sensuality. Early LC had a somewhat passionate, warm, breathy vocal style from Cristina that was backed up by the style of music they played. These songs lack any of that sort of ambience and it leaves us with a really soulless experience.

I enjoy some of the new takes, but even then I think they took incredible songs and made them sound like modest b-sides at best.

But the production is so much better than Black Anima's. I wish they would fix that instead.

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I agree.  Taylor swift did it but her reason was legit.  owning her own recordings again.

if you have a solid reason........please do.  

the new Comalies had no reason. (and don't say an anniversary ....that sucks, lol)  I haven't played it in a while but i remember my first listen.......yikes.  i hated it so much.

LC needs direction in the worst way.  they are a car that speeding down a highway.......with no driver.

Mick

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I agree.  Taylor swift did it but her reason was legit.  owning her own recordings again.

if you have a solid reason........please do.  

the new Comalies had no reason. (and don't say an anniversary ....that sucks, lol)  I haven't played it in a while but i remember my first listen.......yikes.  i hated it so much.

LC needs direction in the worst way.  they are a car that speeding down a highway.......with no driver.

Mick

Well...maybe...Black Anima is a really strong album aside from the mix.

But they do seem to be slow on a follow up...I swear they've been writing for at least two years now.

Hope it's not the end. But I'd hate them to turn into Leaves Eyes who just released the fourth exact same sounding album in a row.

• Like 1

Joni Mitchell- Hejira 

Phwoar! What an amazing album!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 7:48 PM, TheAccountant said:

Worked from home today (last time for a few days - likely won't again till Thursday this week) so that gave me another chance to pull more vinyl out of the moving box.  First out:

Patty Smyth - Never Enough

After her success with Scandal and their "The Warrior" album Patty went solo and this was her first album.  It's the only album by her I ever picked up.  So you would think I did not care for it.  Well, I have a complicated reaction to it.  I was hoping for more songs like the title track to the Scandal album - that was a big hit.  The first song (the title track) on this album is in that direction.  After that it resembles most of the songs on The Warrior.  So it did not quite go in the direction I wanted.  That being said, I like The Warrior.  Its an album that when I listen to it I never skip a song.  And this album I rather enjoy - "Isn't It Enough & "Sue Lee" are the other standout songs on the album for me.  In fact, I never skip a song on this album when I listen to it.  So its a good album - did not go in the direction I wanted but I still like the entire album.  Next out of the box:

Journey - Evolution

This starts with the very good "Majestic" & "Too Late".  Then it has "Lovin, Touchin, Sqeezing" & "City of The Angles" which were hits but I don't care for them and generally will skip listening to them.  There are some other ok songs and side 2 has the very good "Just The Same Way" which is (IMO) the best song on the record.  A decent album and a sign Journey was going in the right direction.  But other than the 3 songs I mentioned I like, nothing I am crazy for.  Good album cover though.  Next out:

Journey - Escape

First off, good album cover.  Side 1 has the excellent "Don't Stop Believing" and the equally (IMO) excellent "Stone In Love".  Then the very strong "Who's Crying Now", "Keep on Run-in'" & "Still They Ride".  Side 2 starts out with 3 songs that did not impress me but then closes with the very strong "Mother, Father" and the excellent "Open Arms".  IMO this is Journey's best album.  Very good - but it does have 3 songs that don't do much for me on side 2.  On the other had it has a bunch of very strong or excellent songs.  Next out of the box:

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

An album I never skip a song on when I listen to it.  Don't care for the art work - Dee Snider in make up etc does not thrill me.  But the songs fit tougher well with 3 big hits ("We're Not Gonna Take It", I Wanna Rick" and "The Price") which deserved to be hits and everything else is very good.  Like this album still.  Next out of the box:

Whitesnake - Whitsnake

Excellent album.  Another album I never skip a song on when I listen to it.  Side 1 does have the over played "Here I go Again" but its still a good song.  Plus it has the awesome "Still of The Night" and the very good "Cryin In The Rain" & "Bad Boys".  Side 2 is not as good but like I said, I still don't skip anything there.  Last out of the box:

Def Leppard - Hysteria

This is where DL went wrong.  At the time I was disappointed in the album.  I considered it a major drop off from their first 3 albums (esp their 2nd and 3rd albums).  Like a huge drop off - and trust me I really tried listening to it.  The first 3 albums had generated a lot of good will from me to the band.  Their are some songs on it I liked and still find to be ok.  The title track, "Armageddon It", "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Animal" & "Gods Of War" are all ok.  But not close to anything on their 2nd and 3rd albums.  Over all I was disappointed at the time and its not aged well.

Best song of the day?  Either "Don't Stop Believing", "Stone In Love" or "Still Of The Night".  Worst album?  Hysteria.  Best album?  Hard to pick - their are 3 albums I never skip a song on plus Journey's best album.  Journey's best album however has a few weak songs on it so its down to the 3 albums I don't skip anything on.   I guess Whitsnake gets the nod as the best album of the day.  Good day musically though.

Then I took part of the PM off to watch the eclipse.  Where I live we got 90+ % of the eclipse.  Very interesting and enjoyable.  

I consider Hysteria to be arguably the greatest pop/rock album of all time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Joni Mitchell- Hejira 

Phwoar! What an amazing album!

yay.  now you can properly enjoy her now that the old bitch is like

"well i guess i'll let the kiddies listen on the liver spotify or whatever that contraptions called.

:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

yay.  now you can properly enjoy her now that the old bitch is like

"well i guess i'll let the kiddies listen on the liver spotify or whatever that contraptions called.

:laugh:

Mick

Exactly! I am rarely home spinning albums anymore. I'm often out and about listening on the go, which is why Spotify is important to me now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Exactly! I am rarely home spinning albums anymore. I'm often out and about listening on the go, which is why Spotify is important to me now

listen to how laszy i am.  

i listen on the go too..........BUT i'll still be at home with a CD player and my joni boxset and still just cue up spotify.:laugh:

i just have gone all digital with listening now.  Physical media people will be all disgusted but......you do you, lol

Mick

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

listen to how laszy i am.  

i listen on the go too..........BUT i'll still be at home with a CD player and my joni boxset and still just cue up spotify.:laugh:

i just have gone all digital with listening now.  Physical media people will be all disgusted but......you do you, lol

Mick

I've been all digital for a few years now. The majority of my interneting is done on my phone and with Spotify on it I have the full discography of every band I like right there. So I listen to everything on Spotify now. I still have a stereo and CDs and I still buy CDs because I like owning and looking at the whole packaging but I haven't actually listened to a CD in ages.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've been all digital for a few years now. The majority of my interneting is done on my phone and with Spotify on it I have the full discography of every band I like right there. So I listen to everything on Spotify now. I still have a stereo and CDs and I still buy CDs because I like owning and looking at the whole packaging but I haven't actually listened to a CD in ages.

this is me too.  i have a fairly big collection that i'm proud of but it's all for show.

.well at least they never get scratched now, lol

Mick

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I listen to vinyl when I have enough time at home, but all of my music outside of that is through Apple Music. I stopped collecting CDs when I decided to exclusively use streaming when I’m not playing vinyl.

• Like 1

Weezer - OK Human

Mmm, needed this.

Katy Perry - One Of The Boys

Maybe a hot take but I feel like Olivia Rodrigo learned a lot from this record, which is way older in 2024 than seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Dark Tranquillity- Character

Dark Tranquillity- Fiction

This band is phenomenal. Unlike In Flames, they never delved into mainstream waters. No hit singles, no soaring anthems ready for crowd singalongs...but I love that about them. They also have one of the strongest discographies in metal, but somehow remain underrated.

Oh well. 

They should be as big as In Flames at least, and I'd say fans of Trivium, Lamb Of God and KillSwitch Engage should look into them.

Rhapsody- Legendary Tales 

Still a masterpiece to my ears.