• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galactic Cowboys- Galactic Cowboys 

This is AMAZING 

It is like a grunge Dream Theater.

21 hours ago, treeduck said:

My favourite Dokken album is Under Lock and Key. I saw them on that tour too in 1986 when they supported Accept, this was at Manchester Apollo.

You lucky dog you.  Never got to see either Dokken or Accept (or Dio for that matter).  All 3, esp. Dokken, were on my list of bands I really wanted to see back in the day.

I liked Under Lock and Key more than Breaking The Chains and perhaps slightly more than Back for the Attack.  But (obviously) not as much as Tooth and Nail.  Still, a good 4 album run before they blew apart.   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

You lucky dog you.  Never got to see either Dokken or Accept (or Dio for that matter).  All 3, esp. Dokken, were on my list of bands I really wanted to see back in the day.

I liked Under Lock and Key more than Breaking The Chains and perhaps slightly more than Back for the Attack.  But (obviously) not as much as Tooth and Nail.  Still, a good 4 album run before they blew apart.   

There first four albums are all close to perfection for me! Gosh I love classic Dokken! They put me in such a great mood.

Alone Again is my favourite metal ballad/power ballad of the eighties.

• Like 3

Rush- Permanent Waves

Rush- Clockwork Angels

Rush- Moving Pictures

Rush- Roll The Bones

Yes, I played them in that order.

Oh, and I loved every minute of every single one!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

I saw Accept a couple of years before that at Donington in 1984. And Dio I saw three times, 1983, 1984 and 1986. The first two were also at Manchester Apollo, Waysted were the support in 1983, Queensryche were the support on the Last in Line tour and the third was in Leeds with Keel as the supporting act. And it was Leeds where purely by accident me and my mates met Dio. His tour bus just happened to pull up right in front of us in the middle of Leeds town centre! So we went over and had a chat and got our tickets signed, that's all I had on me apart from money. Ronnie got out his gold pen which looked good on the green ticket. I asked him what the setlist was (no internet back then) and he said "Ah you'll have to wait until tonight..."

• Like 2

Deafheaven - Sunbather 10th anniversary remix/remaster

Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

Deafheaven - Infinite Granite 

IkijXho7OSLocE_4iUCwd4EeDMl8I3oe5oimER_Rce_o6lW1aSioXbc1qr3xxlKVkVjRkCypjCaBN4GgKQ=w544-h544-l90-rj

yet another example of an album that is supposed to be a band's "weakest" which turns out to be one of my favorites. why does this always happen? am i a lenient listener? or is everyone else just wrong all the time?

• Like 1

Worked from home for part of the day today (took the AM off to take dad to another doctors appointment).  So that allowed me to open up the moving box and listen to whatever came out at random.  First out:

AC DC - Flick of the Switch

First off, not a big ACDC fan.  Did see them in concert once - it was ok but nothing special (IMO).  I have a friend who saw them in the early 1980's in West Germany when he was stationed there in the US Army (come to think of it, it was likely on this tour) and he swears it was the best show he ever saw.  High praise since he is into early 80's New Wave music and generally he dislikes metal.

That being said, I have always had a feeling this album is slightly underrated.  Yes, it suffers from coming right after ACDC's (un)Holy Trinity (Highway to Hell, Back in Black & For Those About to Rock).  But it should not be overlooked.  Part of the reason I think it is overlooked (IMO) is that not only does it come after those albums but it also came out in 1983.  By that time you had Def Leopard putting out Pyromania, Priest had put out Screaming for Vengeance, Maiden had put out Piece of Mind (and was about to release Powerslave), Ozzy was putting out what he was putting out Dio was putting out albums that are classics.  I could go on. Yet ACDC was just chugging along putting out music that sounded very similar to what it had put out in the 1970's.  Basically ACDC was driving a 1970's station wagon and much of heavy metal had moved onto sport cars.  The station wagon was just not attractive in comparison.

But their is something enjoyable about the station wagon.  Its not great but its enjoyable in its own way - esp the songs "Rising Power", "This House is on Fire" and the title track.  So it an ok album.  Next out of the box was a double album:

Iron Maiden - Tales of Steel & Other Beautiful Things

Not familiar with this Maiden album?  Not a shock - its a boot.  It appears to be a full show that was recorded in Frankfurt Germany in 1991 just before Christmas (Bruce wish's the crowd a Merry Christmas) with Anthrax having opened for Maiden.  The set list is excellent.  It consists of the following:

Tail Gunner

Public Enemy #1

Wrath Child

Die With Your Boots On

Hallowed Be Thy Name

22 Acacia Avenue

Holy Smoke

The Assassin

No Prayer for the Dying

Hooks in You

The Clairvoyant

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Trooper

Heaven Can Wait

Iron Maiden

The Number of the Beast

Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter

Run to the Hills

Sanctuary

Excellent live Maiden.  Very good album.  Listening to it basically 32 years after the show and it holds up to the test of time.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Segue Myles said:

This is AMAZING 

I bought some of their cd's about 20 years ago.  Never really got into then as much as I thought I might.  Some cool songs.

On 12/21/2023 at 4:16 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Toto-Isolation (6/10)

Mick

Bit of a Scroogey score Mick ! 😮😉

On 12/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, treeduck said:

On 12/21/2023 at 4:16 PM,  bluefox4000 said: 

Toto-Isolation (10/10)

Mick 

This is the correct score rating ! 👍😎

:yes:

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
Copy & paste added
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Journey-Trial by Fire (8/10)

underrated album.

Mick

Yep it is ( under-rated ) :yes:

better than Raised On Radio :imo:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Bit of a Scroogey score Mick ! 😮😉

i don't like fergie's voice.  in any band he's been in:laugh:

but the songs are ace.  like the Isolation songs were the highlight of the 40th anniversary tour for me.

Mick

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i don't like fergie's voice.  in any band he's been in:laugh:

but the songs are ace.  like the Isolation songs were the highlight of the 40th anniversary tour for me.

Mick

Have you tried his late career stuff? I thought his voice actually really suited age. He was super active up to his passing, I miss him.

• Like 1

I'm boring:

Taylor Swift- Evermore 

Pearl Jam- Lightning Bolt 

I just can't find any desire in me to play much beyond these two.

On 12/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Segue Myles said:

This is AMAZING 

The loudest band I've ever seen live, hands down.

A busy two days

Wire - Pink Flag

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus

Paul McCartney - McCartney

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell

King Crimson - Absent Lovers (Live Montreal 1984)

Dio - Live at Donington 19883

Low - Christmas

Primus - Suck on This!

Les Claypool's Duo De Twange - Four Foot Shack

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Elvis Presley - Elvis' Christmas Album

• Like 4