Great stuff all. 

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old music from home:

The Amboy Dukes-The Amboy Dukes

The Amboy Duke-Journey To The Center Of The Mind.

"Come along if you care. Come along if you dare."

23 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Emperor - In The Nightside Ecplise

In Flames - Whoracle

Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter

Great stuff all. 

I love Emperor. What did you think of Whoracle? It has been heavily ripped off like all In Flames nineties works, so I won't be shocked if it didn't sound fresh. 

• Like 1

In Flames- Whoracle 

I have been playing this album a lot lately. I really love how the band merged highly melodic riffs with intense death metal, as well as gorgeous use of the acoustic guitar. 

This is just a beautiful metal album. I still don't side with the fans who think everything this band has done since 2000 sucks, but there is a tremendous majesty to their early albums. This might be my favourite 90s In Flames, but The Jester Race and Colony are stupendous as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Emperor. What did you think of Whoracle? It has been heavily ripped off like all In Flames nineties works, so I won't be shocked if it didn't sound fresh. 

It didn’t sound terribly fresh but it did sound terribly good. You weren’t kidding about the death metal Iron Maiden aspect of it, but they do an excellent job fusing the two. I especially loved the use of dynamics, letting some songs have acoustic passages or spoken word vocals to break things up, and the riffs were plenty heavy and the record didn’t overstay its welcome. Will revisit.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

It didn’t sound terribly fresh but it did sound terribly good. You weren’t kidding about the death metal Iron Maiden aspect of it, but they do an excellent job fusing the two. I especially loved the use of dynamics, letting some songs have acoustic passages or spoken word vocals to break things up, and the riffs were plenty heavy and the record didn’t overstay its welcome. Will revisit.

I've been a big fan of In Flames since 2005. Back then, the music they made still sounded current and exciting and they were really evolving at the time.

It's impossible for me to hear the albums with a fresh perspective now, because I love them and the era they come from, and American metal has taken a lot from their style over time (see the entire metalcore movement). They are hands down one of my desert island bands, they have pop metal albums I think you'd enjoy that edge closer to heavy emo. Yeah, I love those albums as well!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've been a big fan of In Flames since 2005. Back then, the music they made still sounded current and exciting and they were really evolving at the time.

It's impossible for me to hear the albums with a fresh perspective now, because I love them and the era they come from, and American metal has taken a lot from their style over time (see the entire metalcore movement). They are hands down one of my desert island bands, they have pop metal albums I think you'd enjoy that edge closer to heavy emo. Yeah, I love those albums as well!

I’ve definitely noticed your fandom of them, lol. This is was a great introduction. I look forward to checking out more!

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve definitely noticed your fandom of them, lol. This is was a great introduction. I look forward to checking out more!

If you want to try them at their most OTT, genreless best, try Reroute To Remain.

The album is bonkers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

John Denver-Rocky Mountain High (10/10)

He might be cheese but man he wrote gorgeous music.

'

Mick

My mum loved him. I have a soft spot for his well known songs myself.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My mum loved him. I have a soft spot for his well known songs myself.

his was sorta like swift is now in the 70's.  he was EVERYWHERE.  Hit albums every damn year.  TV specials galore, lol.

Wasn't cool to like at all.  but the guy was talent personified.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

In Flames- Colony 

I have hardly played early IF like I have post-2000 in recent years.

I'm glad I'm diving back in, I genuinely forgot how brilliant and entirely METAL this era of the band was. 

Still, though I totally understand why fans hate them for changing direction, there are moments on this album that make their 2000s direction sound less surprising.

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

his was sorta like swift is now in the 70's.  he was EVERYWHERE.  Hit albums every dan year.  TV specials galore, lol.

Wasn't cool to like at all.  but the guy was talent personified.

Mick

Yeah my family had a bunch of his records. I enjoyed his music, never took it seriously as an interest. Might be cool to dog out a best of and get familiar with the hits again!

• Like 1

In Flames- Clayman

Regarded by the majority as the bands finest moment...eek...not mine. However I'm appreciating it more than ever today, its somehow extremely heavy with the most mainstream baiting hooks of their career thus far.

I really have no words but praise for this band. There "worst" albums are still highly enjoyable to my ears.

And I think I've underrated this somewhat.

Bob Seger-Night Moves (10/10)

Segue and i were talking about how he likes Olivia Rodrigo but is slightly worried about her development.

Take Seger.  I'm not in love with his first like EIGHT albums, lol.  but once he found his niche around this album (maybe even 1 before)  he becabe a fixture in the US mid 70's/early 80's rock scene.

again 8 ALBUMS DEEP!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 3

In Flames- Foregone 

If this followed Clayman, or even Colony, they could have had a truly different career.

The fact their sixteenth album not only brings back a grit, but also further explores their current evolution, is impressive. I've seen fans put this album right up in their top five, and it's honestly thay good.