Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

It's definitely not his strongest era. I think going in with super low expectations helped.

But I enjoyed it all, I just felt that everything, including parts of Windows, lacked a sense of identity.

The Wild Places could be from anyone. 

I'd say Windows and Walls is the best of the later period. I enjoy it more than Innocent Age, which unfortunately loses me with every spin. 

A bit too dour.

Not sure what my favourite album is. The first three are up there but Phoenix and Windows And Walls are pristine, with minor shortfalls (you're right, Longer is way too saccharine).

I enjoyed High Country Snows but bluegrass is an alien genre for me so it had the novelty of sounding "fresh". Being American, I'm sure you're familiarity of the genre in the media makes your reaction very different.

I saw an interview with him where he sais high Country snows was fun but he was out of his deapth a bit cause that's not his genre.  THEN he said garth Brooks cited him as an influence.  his response was great.  "I don't know what he's talking about cause country is not my lane":laugh:

as far as IA.......it's not lost me i just have to be in the mood. i think some of the deep cuts are just wonderful.

I'd say my least favs are the debut (sorry way too joni mitchell light.  and She was an influence.  knowing that now makes a bit......blatant) and everything post W & W.

Mick

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

I saw an interview with him where he sais high Country snows was fun but he was out of his deapth a bit cause that's not his genre.  THEN he said garth Brooks cited him as an influence.  his response was great.  "I don't know what he's talking about cause country is not my lane":laugh:

as far as IA.......it's not lost me i just have to be in the mood. i think some of the deep cuts are just wonderful.

I'd say my least favs are the debut (sorry way too joni mitchell light.  and She was an influence.  knowing that now makes a bit......blatant) and everything post W & W.

Mick

I hear a lot of Fogelberg in Brooks mellower tracks

Anthrax- Sound Of White Noise

What do fans think of this one? First time play, loved it, absolutely LOVE the song Only.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

What do fans think of this one? First time play, loved it, absolutely LOVE the song Only.

This one is fantastic!! I knew you’d love it!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

This one is fantastic!! I knew you’d love it!!

Oh good I was listening to it like "is this actually great or is this one of those moments I fall for an album everyone else sweets is crap?"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh good I was listening to it like "is this actually great or is this one of those moments I fall for an album everyone else sweets is crap?"

I’ve yet to go any later than it in their catalogue, but that’s just a me thing. Sound Of White Noise is just a phenomenal metal record start to finish. Great vocals, great riffs, great mix, great drumming. Heck I think I’ll play it now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve yet to go any later than it in their catalogue, but that’s just a me thing. Sound Of White Noise is just a phenomenal metal record start to finish. Great vocals, great riffs, great mix, great drumming. Heck I think I’ll play it now!

I think I missed some albums going straight into this. Not upset! I loved it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I think I missed some albums going straight into this. Not upset! I loved it!

If Persistence Of Time is the last album you heard then you've missed nothing in between except a B sides album called Attack Of The Killer Bs. I have always thought Sound Of White Noise was great. I think over time the Bush era has become more appreciated but as with any time a band changes singers there's a bit of a divide in the fan base. That didn't stop Only from being the bands highest charting single. It's not their most popular song among fans but it is in terms of chart success and radio rotation. Grunge taking over after this album and metal dying out in popularity dealt a big blow to the Bush era. But I think more fans have come around to the Bush era in the years since. In some ways John is a better vocalist than Joey. He has more raw emotion and aggression in his voice and is very expressive with it. Joey as far as technical singing ability goes is better but he lacked that emotion and aggressiveness up until the last two Anthrax albums.

Sound Of White Noise is a great album. They followed the same format Metallica did with the Black Album by making the songs simpler but still not sacrificing song quality and still making it sound like them despite the changes musically. The three albums that follow with Bush, Stomp 442, Vol 8 and We've Come For You All they take a heavier and more aggressive Pantera inspired kind of sound. It fits John's voice perfectly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

What did you think?

I'm not the biggest Slash fan but on first listen I was impressed. Strong setlist, plenty of energy from the band and they really did the early Guns stuff justice. I thought I might get maybe four or five songs in and give it the boot but that wasn't the case. The only real lull in the album is the guitar solo where he quotes the Godfather theme. He really shows his limitations there. I've always felt Slash's forte to be his catchy riffs, not his lead breaks. 

It piqued my interest when you said it was one of your favourite live albums ever and I'd never even heard it. I'll definitely listen to it again.

9 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

If Persistence Of Time is the last album you heard then you've missed nothing in between except a B sides album called Attack Of The Killer Bs. I have always thought Sound Of White Noise was great. I think over time the Bush era has become more appreciated but as with any time a band changes singers there's a bit of a divide in the fan base. That didn't stop Only from being the bands highest charting single. It's not their most popular song among fans but it is in terms of chart success and radio rotation. Grunge taking over after this album and metal dying out in popularity dealt a big blow to the Bush era. But I think more fans have come around to the Bush era in the years since. In some ways John is a better vocalist than Joey. He has more raw emotion and aggression in his voice and is very expressive with it. Joey as far as technical singing ability goes is better but he lacked that emotion and aggressiveness up until the last two Anthrax albums.

Sound Of White Noise is a great album. They followed the same format Metallica did with the Black Album by making the songs simpler but still not sacrificing song quality and still making it sound like them despite the changes musically. The three albums that follow with Bush, Stomp 442, Vol 8 and We've Come For You All they take a heavier and more aggressive Pantera inspired kind of sound. It fits John's voice perfectly.

I absolutely love that I randomly played this album and had such a correct feeling response.

Only was their biggest hit? Crazy, I loved it. It stood out on that album!

Definitely emerging as my favourite Big 4 thrash band.

• Like 1

Anthrax- Persistence In Time

This band...is a joy! I don't mind having spent decades not "getting" them, it's great fun deep diving their discography now.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2