Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, yyz305 said:

I've tried and tried to get into that three-part ending, but it doesn't do it for me.

Fair enough. If I may offer one suggestion, for Part 3, try it by itself with the cartoon fan made music video on Muse’s YouTube. 

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

this was the album muse started going a bridge too far IMO.

but i do like parts of it.  but the ending is not good.  the 2nd law's ending was even WORSE:no:

Mick

Ah well you’re just no fun! :p

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Fair enough. If I may offer one suggestion, for Part 3, try it by itself with the cartoon fan made music video on Muse’s YouTube. 

Will give it a go. I find the music quite sterile...

• Like 1

Genesis-Invisible Touch (9/10)

I was watching a Genesis least and favs albums episode on Sea of Tranquility yesterday.  it was fun to watch those old fukks Suck off peter Gabrial while off course slagging this album.  Meanwhile gabriel wrote Goofy stuff like I know What I Like and Battle of Snoozy Forest, lol.....hypocrites.:puke::biggrin:

Absolutely zero problem with this album ever.

Mick

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sleep Token-Take me Back to Eden.

so i've had a couple months off from this.  Went back with Fresher ears.  and........I just don't like it.  To my ears this is not a good album at all.  Sure i can admit that it lays a very good bed of intentions and promise.  but it never lives up.  i'm sorry the whole thing is just clumsily done.  no two ways about it.  and the lyrics.......GOD these lyrics.  i read along it's just a game of scrable, lol

thhe supposed genre bending.  they do it yes but i swear it's the worst aspects of the genres they picked.

this album will be forgot.......i mean i think that's started frankly.

Mick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I was watching a Genesis least and favs albums episode on Sea of Tranquility yesterday.  it was fun to watch those old fukks Suck off peter Gabrial while off course slagging this album.  Meanwhile gabriel wrote Goofy stuff like I know What I Like and Battle of Snoozy Forest, lol.....hypocrites.:puke::biggrin:

Mick

Yeah I don’t really watch him anymore. I know what the established prog head opinion of Genesis is and I like mine better. This is actually probably the Genesis record I return to most anymore. It’s short, incessantly catchy, and densely packed. The only tune I don’t care for here is The Brazillian. Weirdly for a prog band I’ve always been hit or miss with Genesis’ instrumentals. They’re more consistent when someone’s singing imo.

Also ironically, I’ve really come around on Epping Forrest. That whole song is just fun for me now. Gabriel’s lyrics make me laugh, and the instrumental is full of little details to memorize.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah I don’t really watch him anymore. I know what the established prog head opinion of Genesis is and I like mine better. This is actually probably the Genesis record I return to most anymore. It’s short, incessantly catchy, and densely packed. The only tune I don’t care for here is The Brazillian. Weirdly for a prog band I’ve always been hit or miss with Genesis’ instrumentals. They’re more consistent when someone’s singing imo.

Also ironically, I’ve really come around on Epping Forrest. That whole song is just fun for me now. Gabriel’s lyrics make me laugh, and the instrumental is full of little details to memorize.

EP what drives me insane is how most people on that channel claim to hate "pop hooks)  yet to they not see the complex prog they love is PACKED with pop-y hooks in between the complex?  it flies right over their heads and i think they're serious in that they miss it.:laugh2:

They channel is a beautiful train wreck i love to witness, lol

Mick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

EP what drives me insane is how most people on that channel claim to hate "pop hooks)  yet to they not see the complex prog they love is PACKED with pop-y hooks in between the complex?  it flies right over their heads and i think they're serious in that they miss it.:laugh2:

Mick

Prog snobs are probably the most notoriously hypocritical music snobs I’ve ever encountered. You’d think it’d be punk snobs from the long history of angry disagreements about what counts as punk, but by 2023 I find they pretty well cooled off or quit arguing about it. Now you’ve just got the old geezers who can’t agree on the qualifications of Pink Floyd for their impossible to define subgenre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Prog snobs are probably the most notoriously hypocritical music snobs I’ve ever encountered. You’d think it’d be punk snobs from the long history of angry disagreements about what counts as punk, but by 2023 I find they pretty well cooled off or quit arguing about it. Now you’ve just got the old geezers who can’t agree on the qualifications of Pink Floyd for their impossible to define subgenre.

Punk and prog snobs are awful, but metal snobs might be worse, IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Super25Smasher said:

Punk and prog snobs are awful, but metal snobs might be worse, IMO.

they are also.........insufferable, lol.

The real bad ones are angry the 80's ended. and will not dare to try any newer metal beyond 89 or even earlier than that.

Mick

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and Domino are better epics than any of the fake ass artsy, fartsy, let's be weird for the sake of being weird stuff they did with Gabriel. Phil has a lot of passion and emotion in his voice too. So, what Genesis did with him as the front man comes off a lot more genuine.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and Domino are better epics than any of the fake ass artsy, fartsy, let's be weird for the sake of being weird stuff they did with Gabriel. Phil has a lot of passion and emotion in his voice too. So, what Genesis did with him as the front man comes off a lot more genuine.

Well I don’t agree with this almost at all but go off J, lol.

19 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Yes but there are amazing melodic hooks on Close To The Edge balanced with beautiful playing, ambient themes and just a sense of whimsy that's beautiful.

Then there are the insufferable pop hooks of an album like Big Generator that aren't balanced with the brilliant progressive styling of the past. The pop hooks for me become a problem when they overtake the sound and style of a band and the band removes much of the style I came to love so much. Pop hooks can be found anywhere, and if a band ditches ideas and musical leanings that drew me to them in the first place to record songs that sound like anyone else could have done them, I can see why people might lose interest. 

So I could get why an early days Genesis fan would listen to Invisible Touch and detest it.

I feel that way about a lot of bands. And so do you. Look at Kansas, Leftoverture and then your reaction to Drastic Measures. 

Bands take a turn in their sound and direction, and you may find that what worked for them before is now too much. It's about balance and the listeners preferences.

I love Lacuna Coil, their pop hooks are brilliant and have always been present, but I totally understand why fans abhore I Like It, regardless of the fact the chorus has echoes of early fan faves My Wings and Unspoken.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Yes but there are amazing melodic hooks on Close To The Edge balanced with beautiful playing, ambient themes and just a sense of whimsy that's beautiful.

Then there are the insufferable pop hooks of an album like Big Generator that aren't balanced with the brilliant progressive styling of the past. The pop hooks for me become a problem when they overtake the sound and style of a band and the band removes much of the style I came to love so much. Pop hooks can be found anywhere, and if a band ditches ideas and musical leanings that drew me to them in the first place to record songs that sound like anyone else could have done them, I can see why people might lose interest. 

So I could get why an early days Genesis fan would listen to Invisible Touch and detest it.

I feel that way about a lot of bands. And so do you. Look at Kansas, Leftoverture and then your reaction to Drastic Measures. 

Bands take a turn in their sound and direction, and you may find that what worked for them before is now too much. It's about balance and the listeners preferences.

I love Lacuna Coil, their pop hooks are brilliant and have always been present, but I totally understand why fans abhore I Like It, regardless of the fact the chorus has echoes of early fan faves My Wings and Unspoken.

well this is my problem with prog diehards.  they slag off pop while not realizing the base for most of the prog they love is hook laden pop.

i dunno if they genuinly don't realize it or are actually stupid but it angers me either way. lol.

Mick

• Like 2