Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

(I picked back up on Hobb, just finished Fool’s Errand… :fistscrying:)

Oh wow!

Did you read Liveships?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've been a KoL fan since around 2005. I remember when fans said OBTN was a major sellout, I instead thought "these songs...never expected this from them", but in the BEST of ways. Come Around Sundown is just as great to me.

Never a bad album, they and The Killers are my favourite mainstream rock bands to debut this century.

I still need to check out Come Around Sundown. I went backwards instead just now, on Because The Times. Definitely a more “alternative” and less accessible album, but in a lot of ways it’s actually simpler than OBTN. The production quality is already here though. Everyone sounds fab, especially the bass.

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh wow!

Did you read Liveships?

Yes! It was a good long while back now. I remember messaging you about it when I finished Ship Of Destiny.

I still need to check out Come Around Sundown. I went backwards instead just now, on Because The Times. Definitely a more “alternative” and less accessible album, but in a lot of ways it’s actually simpler than OBTN. The production quality is already here though. Everyone sounds fab, especially the bass.

Yeah they have a killer discography. I enjoy EVERYTHING though I have clear faves

• Like 1

Yes! It was a good long while back now. I remember messaging you about it when I finished Ship Of Destiny.

I've totally forgotten! I run the official fan group with the author and friends so I talk about the series so much I forget!

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've totally forgotten! I run the official fan group with the author and friends so I talk about the series so much I forget!

You do what?? I did not know that, wow!

• Like 1

Better Lovers - God Made Me An Animal (EP)
Jinjer - Wallflowers

Better Lovers is a new supergroup featuring Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan, three members of Every Time I Die, and famed metal producer Will Putney.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You do what?? I did not know that, wow!

It's on FB. I have had minimal interaction with Hobb but she is lovely. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

Better Lovers - God Made Me An Animal (EP)
Jinjer - Wallflowers

Better Lovers is a new supergroup featuring Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan, three members of Every Time I Die, and famed metal producer Will Putney.

Everything Time I Die and DEP...oh they bring back memories

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Everything Time I Die and DEP...oh they bring back memories

I'm a huge fan of Every Time I Die. I was lucky enough to see them live twice.

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm not a fan of Rothfuss, but I love Feist!

Have you read Robin Hobb? 

I might have skimmed though a book or 2 in the bookstore and not been very interested.  Thats the extent of my interest in her work. 

Sadly fantasy has also gone somewhat the direction that music went for me.  Loved it in the 1980's - read everything I could put on hands on.  Katherine Kurtz, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Robert E. Howard, Barbara Hambley, Tolkien, Robert Jordan (before he wrote the Wheel of Time he wrote some Connan The Barbarian books that were very good so I knew his name when The Wheel of Time came out and I grabbed it right away, b4 most folks were paying any attention to it), some Terry Brooks (his first 3 books), Tad Williams, C.S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander, Harry Turtledove - on and on.  Then in the early  / mid 1990's, a few years after the music scene just died for me, the fantasy scene mostly died for me.  Not as bad.  I continued finding some stuff now and then that I liked.  But nothing like in the 1980's and early 1990's.

I know a lot of folks love George R.R. Martin's books and I tried the first one and gave up about half way through.  Did not interest me so I never watched Game of Thrones.  

So no, not into he stuff and I find it difficult to find good fantasy to read.  Sad but true since when done right its my favorite genre to read. 

5 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I might have skimmed though a book or 2 in the bookstore and not been very interested.  Thats the extent of my interest in her work. 

Sadly fantasy has also gone somewhat the direction that music went for me.  Loved it in the 1980's - read everything I could put on hands on.  Katherine Kurtz, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Robert E. Howard, Barbara Hambley, Tolkien, Robert Jordan (before he wrote the Wheel of Time he wrote some Connan The Barbarian books that were very good so I knew his name when The Wheel of Time came out and I grabbed it right away, b4 most folks were paying any attention to it), some Terry Brooks (his first 3 books), Tad Williams, C.S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander, Harry Turtledove - on and on.  Then in the early  / mid 1990's, a few years after the music scene just died for me, the fantasy scene mostly died for me.  Not as bad.  I continued finding some stuff now and then that I liked.  But nothing like in the 1980's and early 1990's.

I know a lot of folks love George R.R. Martin's books and I tried the first one and gave up about half way through.  Did not interest me so I never watched Game of Thrones.  

So no, not into he stuff and I find it difficult to find good fantasy to read.  Sad but true since when done right its my favorite genre to read. 

Give Robin Hobb a shot. She was an 80s author under the name Meghan Lindholm, and her fantasy is rich with a sense of the historical genre (not unlike Katherine Kurtz, who I adore). She changed her name when Assassins Apprentice came out because it was so different, they thought it might make impact if published like a debut.

You and I have the same taste in fantasy! I love all those authors.

Robin Hobb is very similar to Tad Williams. Hobb and Tad are my two favourite authors followed by Jordan.

Very big Terry Brooks fan as well.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Sorry I can't contribute to the sudden reading room but, lol

Steve Lukathar-Bridges (10/10)

Mick

My first listen was a strong 8

Need some more time to have to devote to it, but it felt like the natural follow up to XIV

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My first listen was a strong 8

Need some more time to have to devote to it, but it felt like the natural follow up to XIV

i think it blows XIV away but that's just me.

XIV has a lot of fat on it going an hour with the bonus track.  this is leaner and punchier IMO.

i enjoy XIV but it's waned slightly over the years.

Mick