New Metallica Album Announced (72 Seasons)

Union 5-3992

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

But smaller artists wouldn't have gotten the attention like Lars did. In fact, it would have died out pretty quickly if lesser known musicians talked about it instead. Look at where the music industry is now. Lars was right.

Smaller artists would’ve broached the topic more convincingly than multi-millionaire airhead drummer Lars Ulrich and his stupid “borrowing” analogy commercials on MTV. He didn’t just turn himself into a joke, he played ambassador for an unease the whole industry had and totally failed them. I’m not saying like, Lit, or Eve 6 should have been the ones spearheading the argument. But someone smaller and more charismatic than Lars and Metallica for sure. Maybe a band like Radiohead, who at the time were only just breaking into true stardom and were already changing the landscape of alternative music.  But they didn’t. And even if they had decided to (which looking at their track record I actually don’t think they ever would have, they’ve been really friendly to streaming and partly instrumental in the devaluation of recorded music with their 2007 album rollout), a voice like theirs would have been smothered by Lars’ overly simplistic, jockish attitude about the whole thing.  Now music is worth nothing, and Lars untwittingly helped spur than on.

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

... his drumming hasn’t been great since parts of The Black Album, and that was an intentional choice on his part, which is where all this negativity is mainly coming from.

His drumming on the Black Album is very well suited for the slower, sludgier (and more commercially palatable) brand of metal they were aiming for, and IMO succeeded fine at.  The issue is that, how many albums later (6?), it's gotten old and repetitive.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Smaller artists would’ve broached the topic more convincingly than multi-millionaire airhead drummer Lars Ulrich and his stupid “borrowing” analogy commercials on MTV. He didn’t just turn himself into a joke, he played ambassador for an unease the whole industry had and totally failed them. I’m not saying like, Lit, or Eve 6 should have been the ones spearheading the argument. But someone smaller and more charismatic than Lars and Metallica for sure. Maybe a band like Radiohead, who at the time were only just breaking into true stardom and were already changing the landscape of alternative music.  But they didn’t. And even if they had decided to (which looking at their track record I actually don’t think they ever would have, they’ve been really friendly to streaming and partly instrumental in the devaluation of recorded music with their 2007 album rollout), a voice like theirs would have been smothered by Lars’ overly simplistic, jockish attitude about the whole thing.  Now music is worth nothing, and Lars untwittingly helped spur than on.

The industry's argument really never should have been about "wealthy people not being wealthier", it should have been an ethical dilemma and framed as such.  While I have and still own several pirated pieces of music, movies, and even some software, as a whole I buy everything now.  At one time, I bought almost nothing.  My mindset changed, opinion changed, and I suspect I'm not alone in the subsequent discussions over the years on the topic changing it.  But when Lars was crying about it - nope.  Rich spoiled brat is all my ears heard.  It wasn't until my peers, my other peon music loving friends, made the argument that it started to resonate.

• Like 1

They've actually released a bunch of tix for Met Life, not too expensive. 

From the setlists I've seen, besides the two nights being different, it seems like a few other changes happen too.

2 hours ago, stoopid said:

The industry's argument really never should have been about "wealthy people not being wealthier", it should have been an ethical dilemma and framed as such.  While I have and still own several pirated pieces of music, movies, and even some software, as a whole I buy everything now.  At one time, I bought almost nothing.  My mindset changed, opinion changed, and I suspect I'm not alone in the subsequent discussions over the years on the topic changing it.  But when Lars was crying about it - nope.  Rich spoiled brat is all my ears heard.  It wasn't until my peers, my other peon music loving friends, made the argument that it started to resonate.

This exactly. It’s the exact same reason why Taylor Swift was the wrong person to spearhead protesting Spotify. Not that she’s a total spoiled brat like Lars, but the public perceived her problems with Spotify as “she can’t afford another swimming pool” and not “she’s speaking out on behalf of artists who can’t afford to tour.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoopid said:

His drumming on the Black Album is very well suited for the slower, sludgier (and more commercially palatable) brand of metal they were aiming for, and IMO succeeded fine at.  The issue is that, how many albums later (6?), it's gotten old and repetitive.

Yeah I do enjoy a number of his drum tracks on The Black Album, especially stuff like Sad But True, where power and swagger are the name of the game. But it doesn’t fit with their more complex material, and he won’t go back to writing the kind of parts he did on AJFA.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

... But it doesn’t fit with their more complex material, and he can’t go back to writing the kind of parts he did on AJFA.

Fixed. :cool:

As someone said in this thread, he's not really physically capable of performing on drums at a high level.  As Rush fans we were certainly spoiled by the professor still slamming at 60.  But with most drummers, it being such an athletic instrument, there's a sharp decline at some point as they age and literally lose the capacity to play sustained complex parts.  Metallica are also well aware that they have to go out and tour the material, so whatever they release on a new album needs to be played live at some point.

• Like 4

both shows were great. i got all my faves.

and Subdivisions was played while we were waiting for them.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Laurabw said:

both shows were great. i got all my faves.

and Subdivisions was played while we were waiting for them.

How was Pantera ?  I would have gone to the Friday show to see Pantera but I was a MSG seeing Phish.

4 hours ago, Laurabw said:

I'm the wrong person to ask because I'm not a Pantera fan but it seemed like the crowd liked them

Took me a moment to process this.  Then I realized I rarely play any Pantera.

Carry on.

:cool:

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's ok since it wasn't really Pantera that played anyways.

No.  But to his credit, Zak does an amazing job emulating Dime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grep said:

No.  But to his credit, Zak does an amazing job emulating Dime.

Sure, and if Rush continued I know they would have gotten somebody great to replace Neil. But you don't want to see Rush without Neil. The same if Sabbath replaced Iommi or if The Who carried on without Townsend or Metallica without Hetfield. You get my point. Some bands just can't continue under their name if they lose their most important member.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Sure, and if Rush continued I know they would have gotten somebody great to replace Neil. But you don't want to see Rush without Neil. The same if Sabbath replaced Iommi or if The Who carried on without Townsend or Metallica without Hetfield. You get my point. Some bands just can't continue under their name if they lose their most important member.

I agree with you. 

Just saying that Zak (Who I've been a fan of since his early ozzy days) is doing allright. 

Imagine if Foreigner played songs without any original members... what a travesty that would be..  Oh wait.. that happens regularly now.