The 2022-23 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

15 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

The Federation and TV money is not as good at 1 Liga, so it's never a good idea to start feeling comfortable at a lower level, especially when your financial situation is less than ideal. The fans are basically keeping the team alive right now. There were three Ekstraklasa matches today, and all of them put together didn't have as many spectators as at the Wisla stadium. 

Well, hopefully if you stay at the top you`ll get promoted and thrive next season with a good feeling bounce. Don`t do a St Etienne.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Well, hopefully if you stay at the top you`ll get promoted and thrive next season with a good feeling bounce. Don`t do a St Etienne.  :facepalm:

Wisla just signed a striker from Spain yesterday, so everybody's optimistic. But if he shows to be a frequent scorer, he'll probably leave for a team with more money or go out West. That's part of the reason I never want Ekstraklasa clubs to do well in Europe. Why root for them to acquire more moolah. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Wisla just signed a striker from Spain yesterday, so everybody's optimistic. But if he shows to be a frequent scorer, he'll probably leave for a team with more money or go out West. That's part of the reason I never want Ekstraklasa clubs to do well in Europe. Why root for them to acquire more moolah. 

There are very few clubs that this isn`t the case for, the stepping stone thing. Even Man City are honing Haaland for a move to Real. I suppose Spurs may have slightly moved beyond being a feeder club for Man U and Real but that`s only because of the huge wealth inequality that exists, so we can say "no" sometimes. If Conte goes and we don`t make Top 4 our better players will be agitating, little realising they`ll never wear a nicer kit. :glare:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

There are very few clubs that this isn`t the case for, the stepping stone thing. Even Man City are honing Haaland for a move to Real. I suppose Spurs may have slightly moved beyond being a feeder club for Man U and Real but that`s only because of the huge wealth inequality that exists, so we can say "no" sometimes. If Conte goes and we don`t make Top 4 our better players will be agitating, little realising they`ll never wear a nicer kit. :glare:

An unsuccessful season will always bring a hurricane of changes. When Wisla was relegated, the team replaced 70% of the squad, hoping to find at least a couple of gems. But in the end, we're only scouts for the big fishes out there, just waiting to snatch away our top performers. Clubs like Tottenham, even when they lose a player or two, can easily pick up a proven replacement. Guys like us, we're shooting in the dark, praying the newcomers find the city attractive, have the will to fight tooth and nail for our logo and so on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

I won't argue that being a London club has attractions for some players. Whether that is good for them is another thing. :drink::whipgirl:

• Like 1

Eeeek. Haaland holding off defenders and running away from them and then playing the right pass might be something we all have to accept will happen again, and again. :scared:

Edited by IbanezJem

I`m sure some regular posters here are happy to see Newcastle beating City and to some extent I am too. But I`m very concerned about having another very good side in the mix this year and for many seasons after this one, a club with greater resources than City, Utd, everyone else. :fistscrying:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Non-asshole fan, more like. :wink:

If he wasn`t an alcoholic with severe mental health issues, he would be remembered as the most gifted English footballer. But he is. :sad:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

If he wasn`t an alcoholic with severe mental health issues, he would be remembered as the most gifted English footballer. But he is. :sad:

It's unfortunate he will always be known by the French expression,  'Enfant terrible'. :sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Too true. I read his autobiography; what sad story.

• Like 2

TV execs must be regretting picking this match for the big Monday night game - 15th vs 20th. :facepalm:

*My apologies - it`s the ever lovely West Ham that are in fact bearing the weight of the entire PL on their shoulders.

Edited by IbanezJem

4 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Klopp looking for a walkover, if tonight's match is called off...

He seems pretty angry, hot and flustered - he may spontaneously combust - that would cause an abandonment. :firedevil:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Are PL telecasts slanted in some way? How can that Rashford's goal be onside?  :wacko:

The mysteries of life eh? Often I look at the lines and I look at the so-called infringement, and I think... well... I don`t agree. I reckon the man that draws the line is a bit of a prankster. :joker:

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned