This one's not a poll! What's some of your favorite album artwork from the past 10 years?

I have the understanding that we need more non poll topics about new music to get things shaking in MOTS again. So with that in mind, here's the first topic I thought up. What are some of your favorite album covers to be released in the past 10 years? What do you like so much about them? Can you post pics so we all can enjoy them together? Yes, you can!

Here's one of mine:

81b+ElUbQtL._SL1500_.jpg

I would very much like to own this record on vinyl. Not only because I really love the music within, but this cover is just gorgeous! I have no idea if they actually made or found a real stained glass window for this picture--I suspect probably not, those things are expensive and the lighting would have to be perfect to get this shot--but the details and textures are excellently rendered, and the divide between the lush wild floral imagery and the tidal wave that looks to be made of jagged stones is dynamic enough to hold my gaze. The sweep of the woman's dress is captivating in its dual colors, yet she seems sad or unsure about something by her face. And the pale sun ties it all together. A stained glass window with a source of light depicted on it, brilliant!

Y'all don't have to write paragraphs like I always do, lol. Just share something you like!

• Like 3

I love the winter but I don't see the season as bleak.

Cover from Planning for Burial

52055440699_1376907cbe_o.png

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

have always loved both of those album artworks, though not necessarily the albums themselves. Rust is an incredibly sick song though

Incidentally, have you noticed that a lot of long-time bands (ones which have been active since the 80s and 90s) have gone from having amazing album art to very bland, soulless ones? It seems like album artwork is dying in general, and I blame the digital era for this.

With that said, I can't actually think of any at all, King of Limbs is now disqualified as of this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, custom55 said:

I love the winter but I don't see the season as bleak.

Cover from Planning for Burial

52055440699_1376907cbe_o.png

frosty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

have always loved both of those album artworks, though not necessarily the albums themselves. Rust is an incredibly sick song though

Incidentally, have you noticed that a lot of long-time bands (ones which have been active since the 80s and 90s) have gone from having amazing album art to very bland, soulless ones? It seems like album artwork is dying in general, and I blame the digital era for this.

With that said, I can't actually think of any at all, King of Limbs is now disqualified as of this year.

I think it started with CD's, and then the digital era really de-incentivized having good art. To be fair, I do think a lot of the bands still make great album art are the ones who generally have always cared more about that sort of thing anyway. 

1 hour ago, invisible airwave said:

H6wuNWk.png

When I hear people talk about Tame Impala, 90% of the time this is the only album they've actually spent any time with.  Oddly enough, the only Tame Impala album I own is Lonerism, which also has really compelling art... but the cover on Currents is iconic.  I think it's already begun aging like Unknown Pleasures or Dark Side Of The Moon in terms of the image starting to transcend the music.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Oh, here we go. Awesome album as well

MGMT_-_Little_Dark_Age_600_598.jpg

Perhaps the only album cover I've ever seen featuring pointillism? And not like super realistic pointillism either that can be just kind of bland and clinical. This has mood and ambiguity totally fitting the music inside. The only weird thing to me is that the album cover is yellow, but I suppose it adds to the ambiguity. This music could be happy? Or maybe yellow doesn't mean happy? Who knows? 

I also really loved the single artwork for this one:

18f977d3f37e78adf747719a5c547cab.1000x10

ab67616d0000b2736a7d6effa7a25dfa0dd9e6c6

mgmt-me-and-michael-Cover-Art.jpg

ab67616d0000b273fc5d4815b1d2cb64bac0a580mgmt-hand-it-over-Cover-Art.jpg

A few different styles here but I think they each tend to catch the same light goth macabre vibe. Also This is the first time I've seen the one for Hand It Over. Very happy to see some impressionism!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

When I hear people talk about Tame Impala, 90% of the time this is the only album they've actually spent any time with.  Oddly enough, the only Tame Impala album I own is Lonerism, which also has really compelling art... but the cover on Currents is iconic.  I think it's already begun aging like Unknown Pleasures or Dark Side Of The Moon in terms of the image starting to transcend the music.

It isn't close to being as iconic as either. 

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

It isn't close to being as iconic as either. 

Well it hasn’t been around nearly as long yet. I’ve meet rather few people my age who don’t know that album though, which I find very odd because it’s not like Tame Impala has or shoots for the same level of commercial success as like, Taylor Swift. Currents just attracts people for some reason, and so think the artwork helps draw people in in the same way those other two album covers I mentioned do.

1 hour ago, ST3V said:

Flying Colors - Album by Flying Colors | Spotify

Virtue - Album by The Voidz | Spotify

The New Abnormal - Album by The Strokes | Spotify

Smoke + Mirrors - Album by Imagine Dragons | Spotify

Origins (Deluxe) - Album by Imagine Dragons | Spotify

I’m personally not a fan of Smoke + Mirrors’ album art, but I do get the appeal. It’s very surrealistic and evocative. I did like some of the single artwork for that album. Origins might be ID’s best album cover…if only the music inside wasn’t their worst! Just imo of course. That Strokes album cover is just fantastic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Those aren’t from the last ten years Custom55! Lol

Sorry, I got carried away

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, custom55 said:

Sorry, I got carried away

It’s okay, all in the love of art!

3 hours ago, ST3V said:

also heres some Singles

Coul as a Ghoul - Single by The Voidz | Spotify

Roots - song and lyrics by Imagine Dragons | Spotify

At-The-Door

Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Single by Arctic Monkeys |  Spotify

The Voidz Share New Track “Pointlessness” - RCA Records

The Voidz - All Wordz Are Made Up - Single | Electric Fetus

Face on the Bridge by Asia (Single, Pop Rock): Reviews, Ratings, Credits,  Song list - Rate Your Music

Wow these are fab! I especially love the “At The Door” art. Very 50s sci fi novelette cover vibes.

• Like 1

tTt4jekL7PatsoilDuaiYRQ56tvySG8pgAYuLHzX

It doesn't get better than this