Is my musical taste really THAT off the norm?

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Nov 17 2005, 02:30 PM)
8 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
invisibleairwaves, rushgoober, physics23, tangdog, paganoman, Mustard Death, Digital Man, Slaine mac Roth

ohmy.gif

now 10!

10 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, invisibleairwaves, tangdog, physics23, paganoman, Mustard Death, Digital Man, Slaine mac Roth

bekloppt.gif 1022.gif

Wait until the chips and dip run out.

Watch how fast the place empties then yes.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 17 2005, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Nov 17 2005, 02:30 PM)
8 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
invisibleairwaves, rushgoober, physics23, tangdog, paganoman, Mustard Death, Digital Man, Slaine mac Roth

ohmy.gif

now 10!

10 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, invisibleairwaves, tangdog, physics23, paganoman, Mustard Death, Digital Man, Slaine mac Roth

bekloppt.gif 1022.gif

Wait until the chips and dip run out.

Watch how fast the place empties then yes.gif

http://www.benthampottery.com/image/chip.jpg

oops.gif

:goes on chip and dip run: bolt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 06:13 PM)
6 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, paganoman, endlesslymocking, Moonraker

bekloppt.gif

It's like watching a train wreck. You can't take your eyes off it no matter how horrible it is. Quite a legacy for you, Goob. At least you'll have the highest view numbers on the boards. tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif

It's been such a busy day at work (which is the norm lately). If my posts can't be 5 words or less, I can rarely post at all it seems.

So.... let me take a few and respond here, before I head for home. My wife has a girl's night out tonight so I can't be late. She has a better social life than I do. HAHA.

I'm one of those people you can't relate to at all, Goob. I'm one of those who'll say they like most music when asked. The difference with me is... I really do - and I actively listen to it. I can leave my mp3 player on shuffle and go from an Anita Baker song to something from Dokken to something from ELP, then SOS Band, then Def Leppard..... and it won't phase me in the least. I'll keep singing (horribly) along. And it's not a surface level appreciation that most other casual listeners may have. I'm like you in the respect that I'll get completely lost in it. You know how you drive your entire way home with traffic, busy intersections, etc.... and you have no recollection how you did it? That's me. Rush just happens to be the pinnacle of it all, for me.... but there's no 2nd fav. There's Rush, and then there's everybody else I love equally.

In response to what you said with Moon.... I don't go at all for your snobbish attitude toward anything you've decided not to accept. I don't understand that position from someone who claims to have tolerance for everyone else. I find character traits such as that are not limited to musical taste, and I fear you'd be like that in most aspects of your life. I've never met you personally, but it's the conflicting vibe you give off. I'm struggling to understand it.

Anyway, there is soooo much amazing stuff out there and it doesn't have to be boxed into a particular genre or style for me. I think someone can be totally open minded and accepting to all styles of music without losing credibility.

Ok... I'm late.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 11:59 AM)
I dunno, I don't get it. Maybe it's just plain old weird that I'm a Rush fan considering the following. Threads I started on this forum:

Grateful Dead - 16 responses
Joni Mitchell - 10 responses
Captain Beefheart - 7 responses
The Kinks - 6 responses
Love - 7 responses
King Crimson - 3 responses
Procol Harum - 1 response

Add that up and you get 50 responses. And these are groups that I listen to that are pretty well known compared to most of the stuff I listen to.

And then I see this:

Heart - 59 responses ohmy.gif

What the hell? confused13.gif Ok, sorry to the fans out there, but HEART? fing.gif

I really do feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

http://www.filmzonen.dk/images/articles/pictures/zoolander/zoolander_7.jpg

Am I the only one who feels like their musical tastes are completely out of step with almost everyone else here besides a shared love for Rush? sad.gif

Yes, Goob your musical taste is that far off the norm, which is a positive thing in my estimation.

It was an a big realization to me when I figured out that other than listening to Rush, that I have very little in common in regards to musical preferences with the vast majority of forum members. Its unique how Rush attracts so many different types of people who listen to so many types and styles of music.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 17 2005, 02:47 PM)
In response to what you said with Moon.... I don't go at all for your snobbish attitude toward anything you've decided not to accept. I don't understand that position from someone who claims to have tolerance for everyone else. I find character traits such as that are not limited to musical taste, and I fear you'd be like that in most aspects of your life. I've never met you personally, but it's the conflicting vibe you give off. I'm struggling to understand it.

um, i like to keep people guessing? confused13.gif

i guess you could say that i really enjoy my way of doing things, and for the most part i live and let live, but then again, if you saw me when i was active in the political forum i wasn't exactly quiet about my views. i am generally tolerant and in person i'm usually a very nice guy. music is just one area in particular that i'm extremely opinionated about and snobbish in my views (hell, just ask my wife - she's had to hear me babble on and on for years - God bless her). i guess i decided i'd rather be proud of being a musical snob then to try and feign tolerance. in reality, obviously people can listen to whatever makes them happy and if they're happy, that's wonderful in my book. it doesn't mean i won't think what they're listening to is crap, but who cares what i think anyway? i'm glad that what makes me happy makes me happy. i've always struggled in life with understanding the differences between people and why people don't see things my way and why i can't relate to their way - i'm working on it, you know? if people call my music crap, i think that's just great. for me, music is about passion - and i admire the passion no matter what a person likes or doesn't like. besides that, a little controversy keeps things from getting too boring. i hope no one takes me seriously enough that they let my extremely opinionated views bother them.

btw, that quality of getting lost in the music you talked about - THAT to me is what it's all about...

peace,

gary

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 17 2005, 03:01 PM)
Just be yourself Goob.
You're allright in my books.
Nobody's perfect. At least we admit it. And that's a damn sight better than pretending to be what we're not.

yeah, and while i think my musical tastes are better in my own highly biased subjective view that i don't expect anyone to agree with, i never think that i as a person am better than anyone else. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2005, 12:04 AM)
Just be yourself Goob.
Nobody's perfect. At least we admit it. And that's a damn sight better than pretending to be what we're not.

yeah, and while i think my musical tastes are better in my own highly biased subjective view that i don't expect anyone to agree with, i never think that i as a person am better than anyone else. no.gif

We all think that our own musical taste is the best goob but I don't think people should take themselves and their taste so seriously (don't mean you goob)

Music is art and music is also fun, each to their own, we are all different and therefore unique. But at least on this board we all share a common bond...sometimes we forget this.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Nov 17 2005, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2005, 12:04 AM)
Just be yourself Goob.

We all think that our own musical taste is the best goob but I don't think people should take themselves and their taste so seriously (don't mean you goob)

Music is art and music is also fun, each to their own, we are all different and therefore unique. But at least on this board we all share a common bond...sometimes we forget this.

cool10.gif

trink39.gif

It's obvious that everyone has different tastes and I admit that when I was younger, I was very elitist about most of what i listened to. In my case, being a metal head was a life, so if you got caught singing Dress You Up by Madonna by your friends... you got the shit kicked out of you. Well... harassed greatly anyway in my case. Not that i got caught singing Madonna. doh.gif

But as I grew older I found that there were times when certain styles that I hated were appropriate. I became a Heart fan this way. I mean... can you really have a nice candlelit dinner with Slayer blaring in the background? Yeah... okay... you can, but Heart's Passionworks always seemed a better choice for me. Then I grew to like them even more. Then liking them, made me like other bands in their genre.

On to some of the bands you like Goobs. I grew up with much older brothers and sisters than I, so I had a very diverse background. My oldest brother is into all the stuff you mentioned. He wound up being a classical nut. My sisters are into RandB and top forty. They loved the Motown stuff. My youngest brother was in Nam, so when he came home, he was into heavy stuff. Thankfully I heard his stuff most and somewhere in there I got into Sabbath. But due to this diverse upbringing, i've found that I can listen to a lot, even if I don't particularly like it, i can respect it and sometimes GROW to like it.

BUT... here's where i totally agree with you. Though I can respect other's choices and since music is an art and all... yadda yadda yadda, i will never fully comprehend why people don't LOVE what I LOVE. When I'm blown away at a certain lyric or some incredible guitar riff or just the brilliance of the work of one of my faves, I can't for a minute understand why someone next to me can't GET IT also. I do share that feeling with you Goob. It comes up in chat a lot when we're all discussing what we're Now Playing on our own systems. I might share how I find a song by Manson absolutely brilliant, and someone may state they hate him and have never really given him a fair shot. THAT disturbs me. If I'm going to rip on an artist, then I have got to first give them a fair shake. I HATE Aerosmith and always badmouth them, but there was a time they were a favorite of mine. I can rag them out because I know how ridiculous they are now and that they completely insult their history. But to go off on a band I don't know about, that's something i couldn't do. Not anymore anyway, cuz i'm not worried about my metalhead buddies TRYING to kick my ass.

So many of my friends would have their eyes bugging out to read these words cuz i used to be very intolerant of just about everything that wasn't metal. It's funny now because I'm building a library of tunes in my computer with stuff that i absolutely hated years ago. Maybe someday I'll add some Grateful Dead to that library, but i'm not that enlightened yet. laugh.gif

I think the point of your thread is pretty cool and debate is always welcome to me. I see the elitist thing because I share that in some ways. The day we stop thinking OUR way of thinking is the best way of thinking would probably be a bad day. Not saying that it's not cool to get someone to agree, but once we all do... bleh. 062802puke_prv.gif

So... you don't like Heart and I don't like the Dead... at least we agree that SLAYER 1022.gif

right?

Goobs?

you like slayer right?

goobs...

gary?

pokey.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 17 2005, 04:03 PM)
So... you don't like Heart and I don't like the Dead... at least we agree that SLAYER  1022.gif

right? 

Goobs? 

you like slayer right? 

goobs...

gary? 

pokey.gif

slayer... oh yeah...

big fan

BIG

HUGE even...

unsure.gif

necro, i'm going to dress you up with my love - all over your body - from your head down to your toes..

(sorry, madonna...)

bolt.gif

We've been here before Goobs!!

I understand what you mean - I started a thread once about what I consider to be the most important album of the year (War Child - Help : A Day In The Life). 11 views, 0 replies.

Joni, Procol Harum, Grateful Dead - I replied to none of them, simply because I don't know enough about them. Part of the problem is your writing is so precise and obviously knowledgable, that it's clear you know more about these bands than I do.

I own none of their albums, and while I can talk about listening to Court and Spark in my mate's flat, or how I prefer Conquestidor and Grand Hotel to A Whiter Shade of Pale, ultimately, I'll be out of my depth within two posts. The same goes for Nightwish, Aerosmith and Kiss BTW.

My own tastes are different, and to be honest, Rush is the only band I've ever been rabidly into (Apart from Horslips, Hamell on Trial and Manu Chao/Mano Negra). My album collection is a glorious concoction of bits of everything from Beethoven to Bloc Party and all points in between, and my musical knowledge is equally all over the place. I know a little bit about loads of shit and a lot about very little (that's either total nonsense or highly perceptive).

I read more than post in threads like your's. I mighten't reply, but I take it all in. I suspect I'm not the only one.

The essence of great music is it speaks to us. I'm fanatical about an Irish guy called Jinx Lennon, 99% of my mates don't get him at all. To them he's a talentless t**t with a County Louth accent who shouts. To me, he's a prophet and ought to be worshipped and cherished.

I've got stuff in my collection that I know you'd hate, but it speaks to me, and there's the problem. You can argue that a million other bands are technically better than Heart (and I'll not disagree), but all the technical proficiency in the world isn't worth shit if the music doesn't touch your soul.

It just so happens that your soul is touched by virtuoso hippies in bands with unpronouncable names producing psychadelic and progressive fusions that no-one can spell, and half the time, only pregnant dogs can properly hear. Me, I'd prefer to hear the Kaiser Chiefs a lot of the time , but that's cool.

I could keep going all night with my nicey nicey let's all sit on the fence and hug each other waffle, but I'll stop now.

Don't take it personally - we're just afraid of you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 17 2005, 02:47 PM)
In response to what you said with Moon.... I don't go at all for your snobbish attitude toward anything you've decided not to accept.  I don't understand that position from someone who claims to have tolerance for everyone else.  I find character traits such as that are not limited to musical taste, and I fear you'd be like that in most aspects of your life.  I've never met you personally, but it's the conflicting vibe you give off.  I'm struggling to understand it.

um, i like to keep people guessing? confused13.gif

i guess you could say that i really enjoy my way of doing things, and for the most part i live and let live, but then again, if you saw me when i was active in the political forum i wasn't exactly quiet about my views. i am generally tolerant and in person i'm usually a very nice guy. music is just one area in particular that i'm extremely opinionated about and snobbish in my views (hell, just ask my wife - she's had to hear me babble on and on for years - God bless her). i guess i decided i'd rather be proud of being a musical snob then to try and feign tolerance. in reality, obviously people can listen to whatever makes them happy and if they're happy, that's wonderful in my book. it doesn't mean i won't think what they're listening to is crap, but who cares what i think anyway? i'm glad that what makes me happy makes me happy. i've always struggled in life with understanding the differences between people and why people don't see things my way and why i can't relate to their way - i'm working on it, you know? if people call my music crap, i think that's just great. for me, music is about passion - and i admire the passion no matter what a person likes or doesn't like. besides that, a little controversy keeps things from getting too boring. i hope no one takes me seriously enough that they let my extremely opinionated views bother them.

btw, that quality of getting lost in the music you talked about - THAT to me is what it's all about...

peace,

gary

It's cool, Goob. And that's were I'm struggling, I guess. Your views in music and politics do not come with much room for considering how others may see things. laugh.gif

I'm not trying to insult you dude... I didn't say anything that you haven't said to describe yourself at one given time or another in music and political threads. I guess where I fall off the rail is I don't think my taste in things like music, or even my opinions about stuff in general are worthy of pushing very hard. I'm usually in the 'on the fence' category trying to see everyone's side. It's funny how you say you've always struggled with understanding how people think differently, or relating to other's ways. I'm more the opposite, always wearing the other shoe and usually trying to adapt to other people's ways instead of injecting my own. I guess that's where I get weirded out in opinion heavy threads like these. Sure that's not an absolute statement.... nothing is absolute and I certainly have had my say about stuff around here.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2005, 12:08 PM)
I dunno, I don't get it.  Maybe it's just plain old weird that I'm a Rush fan considering the following.  Threads I started on this forum:

Here are some websites for you that may elicit more responses trink39.gif

Grateful Dead - 16 responses
Joni Mitchell - 10 responses
Captain Beefheart - 7 responses
The Kinks - 6 responses
King Crimson - 3 responses
Procol Harum - 1 response

While I appreciate it, my main point was a group like Heart gets more of a response than all these groups put together, and to me they're nowhere in the same league, or even in the same sport as these groups... IMHO, of course... ph34r.gif

Hey Goob smile.gif Have you ever watched any DVDs of theirs...or any Live material on video?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 17 2005, 02:13 PM)
I'm pretty much with you Goob, I could start threads for Opeth, Spastic Ink, Silverchair, Borknagar, The Postal Service and a lot more, and I doubt I would get much if any response for most of them.

I do like the Grateful Dead though...

I love Postal Service! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 17 2005, 02:16 PM)
Just face it, everyone has different tastes in music, but why does that make one persons tastes any better then another. Would you really want every single person, all the people with absolutely no idea what good music is, listening to the same stuff you do? Outside of a few select albums though, I dont much listen to any of those groups mentioned above (nor do I listen to Heart either).

But there is one thing that gets me about this, the elitist way of saying that your music is so great and everything else is just mediocre. I can tolerate a person that has bad taste in music (at least in my opinion), but I absolutely cannot stand elitists who dismiss anything not resembling what they listen to. That is a far uglier trait to me.

I Totally agree Moon

Personally for me. I like Heart. I think you all knew that. lol

As a guitar player and a female *gasp* yes...a girl can play guitar too! lol tongue.gif ...Heart are my idols. 2 years ago I was looking through my parents collection of cds and I saw their greatest hits...I listen to that in my cd player on the train to work every day. I knew of their songs on the the radio but didn't really listen to them much. I actaully thought Ann did all the of guitar lol whoops...

Anyways I like them a lot. For me, Nancy inspires me greatly and gets me thinking about guitar. She's a lot like Joni Mitchell...in guitar sense...in open chord sense...so maybe thats why I hooked on to them easily because I also love Joni's stuff.

I think it's excellent that Heart has a mellow and rock side to it. Ann Wilson- "Theres room for something in people's lives like Heart, like a mellow side and a hard rock side"

But I know I could go on and on and on about these guys...and I think everyone knows what my opinion on Heart is...so...i'll just stop lol

Goob...Have you ever listen to the "deep" material? Like for instance..."Break" on Bebe Le Strange..."Nada One" on Dog and Butterfly ..."Sing Child" on Dreamboat Annie...."Back To Avalon" and "Dream Of The Archer" on not the studio album but the live album...The Road Home...."The Fallen Ones" on Their newest album...Jupiters Darling? If so I think you may like em...I dunno...just a suggestion...i'm not gonna playing the music nazi today.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 17 2005, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 17 2005, 02:13 PM)
I'm pretty much with you Goob, I could start threads for Opeth, Spastic Ink, Silverchair, Borknagar, The Postal Service and a lot more, and I doubt I would get much if any response for most of them.

I do like the Grateful Dead though...

I love Postal Service! biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif

Do you have the al---*Gets killed by hijack police*

Not really.

I've seen The Kinks, Captain Beefheart and Procul Harum.

My Peter Case thread got one reply....from me.

:-)

Archived