Is my musical taste really THAT off the norm?

rushgoober

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 17 2005, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 17 2005, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Nov 17 2005, 02:13 PM)
I'm pretty much with you Goob, I could start threads for Opeth, Spastic Ink, Silverchair, Borknagar, The Postal Service and a lot more, and I doubt I would get much if any response for most of them.

I do like the Grateful Dead though...

I love Postal Service! biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif

Do you have the al---*Gets killed by hijack police*

laugh.gif laugh.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was eagerly awaiting D-13's arrival on this thread. I guess I watch too much wrestling cuz i thought she'd hit the ring swinging. But then again... she's a HEART fan, so hence the eloquent and passionate responses to Goober's ELITIST ( tongue.gif ) attack on HEART. Good going D-13. goodpost.gif

D-13, for what it's worth, please forgive me using Heart as an example as it was really only an example of groups that I personally don't understand having enormous popularity here as opposed to groups that I think deserve at least that level of popularity but have FAR less. As I said previously, if you and if anyone enjoys music that I don't get, I'd be the last person to tell you you're wrong or to stop listening. If it does it for you, great. I just don't get most people's musical tastes in general and was seeing if there were others like me who felt like they were pretty much alone in their tastes on TRF outside of a shared love of Rush. Sorry if my intense opinions offended your or anyone else. I'm not apologizing for having my views so much as I apologize if I offended anyone who can't relate to my point of view. Anyway...

Peace,

Gary

My tastes are not the norm at all for a Rush fan. My 2 favorite bands besides Rush are Janes Addiction and Bauhaus. There arent too many hardcore Rush fans that love those 2 bands. I am not into Prog, not a big U2 fan, I dont like Nightwish, Porcupine Tree or any of those. All of my favorite bands are mostly alternative. Though I do enjoy classic Rock I dont listen to that as much as many on here.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 17 2005, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 01:20 PM)
While I appreciate it, my main point was a group like Heart gets more of a response than all these groups put together, and to me they're nowhere in the same league, or even in the same sport as these groups...  IMHO, of course...  ph34r.gif

Hey Goob smile.gif Have you ever watched any DVDs of theirs...or any Live material on video?

Goob stated in another thread that watching video of musical acts is a complete bore for him......and now that I am aware of that fact, I'm bummed that I wasted a Drunken Bootleg Giveaway on him. Dude, pass those DVDs on to someone who will appreciate them eh! tongue.gif laugh.gif

But seriously, Heart rocks and I'm pretty unconcerned when people don't value my taste in music. Lord knows I'm used to it by now. 1022.gif

I listen to a lot of experimental music. Stuff that you won't hear elsewhere.

Steve Vai - One of the greatest and most unique sounding Guitarists, plays smoothe, clean, and superfast on an 8-string guitar. He's been around forever, and with G3 of late, he's been better than ever. Especially when teamed up with Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Eric Johnson.

Buckethead - Guitar Virtuoso Extrodinare, and all around CREEPY GUY. Quite possibly the most versitile musician I've ever heard, clad with a KFC bucket on his head and a trademark white plastic mask; he can play anything from touching mellow guitar solos with names like "Watching Boats with My Dad", to borderline-insane headbanging and shredding in songs with names like "Onions Unleashed" and "Spidercrawl". For a nice relaxing time, I would definately recomment the album Colma.

Dream Theater - With definate Rush influences, this band has definately had some extraordinary albums, my favorite being Images and Words. Perhaps the only living drummer who could ever rival Peart, Portnoy leads the band's talent with awesome drumming, and excellent songwriting. At over 23 minutes "A Change of Seasons" is definately one of my favorite all time songs.

Foreigner - OK, maybe a bit cheezy, but they're awesome musicians. Songs like Dirty White Boy, Jukebox Hero, and Long Long way From Home; prove this.

Cacophony - A true diamond in the rough. Legendary guitarists Marty Friedman and Jason Becker teamed up to create two FANTASTIC albums. I would definately recommend songs like Concerto, Floating World, and Speed Metal Symphony.

Brad Paisley - Country Music's best guitar today, coupled with a fantastic voice, he has a way of making songs come to life. His recent rendition of Eric Clapton's Layla, was perfect; and I have to respect anyone that can do it so well. He's definately becoming something huge in country music.

Megadeth - This is truly a hit or miss band. When they're good, they're awesome. When they're bad, they're really sub-par. I would definately say that songs like: A Toute Le Monde, Promises, Holy Wars, and High Speed Dirt; are really a good way to spend your musical capital.

Iced Earth - Usually, I don't like this band's type of "sound"; but they really hit the right combination of extremely strong metal, and profoundly intellegent lyrics. Definately influenced by American Conservativism and Political History, they have a way of telling a story extraordinarily well without losing anything musical.

Garth Brooks - Country Music's Greatest. A decent (at best) guitarist, and one of the best vocalists of all time; he may be tough to rival as one of the most beloved musicians of the 1990s. Always a storyteller, Garth's voice almost seems to project images, and musical beauty. Like Country Music or not, he is definately one of biggest names in all music.

Bob Seger - My first favorite in music. Seger's influeces can be heard in many bands. I remember originally being very happy hearing the fact that Rush had a song called Turn the Page; and I was sorely let down for a moment when it wasn't what I though. Seger is pretty well known for 4 or 5 famous songs, but he had real hits that were never uncovered like The Mountain, Sunburst, Manhattan, and The Famous Final Scene.

And finally...

2.gif - The Greatest. Geddy, Alex, and Neil are the original power trio, and when genious lyricism couples with extreme musical virtuosity; you create something truly superhuman. Rush has so much chemestry, and so much talent that it is an amazing power in music. I see no band in history, more impressive than Rush. I can't wait to see them live.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 18 2005, 10:08 PM)
Steve Vai - One of the greatest and most unique sounding Guitarists, plays smoothe, clean, and superfast on an 8-string guitar.

8-string? I thought he played a 7-string, the seventh string being the low B. I've never even heard of an 8-string electric guitar.

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 18 2005, 06:50 PM)
My tastes are not the norm at all for a Rush fan. My 2 favorite bands besides Rush are Janes Addiction and Bauhaus. There arent too many hardcore Rush fans that love those 2 bands. I am not into Prog, not a big U2 fan, I dont like Nightwish, Porcupine Tree or any of those. All of my favorite bands are mostly alternative. Though I do enjoy classic Rock I dont listen to that as much as many on here.

Damn fine taste in music Pixey!! Damn fine!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 18 2005, 10:08 PM)
Steve Vai - One of the greatest and most unique sounding Guitarists, plays smoothe, clean, and superfast on an 8-string guitar. He's been around forever, and with G3 of late, he's been better than ever. Especially when teamed up with Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Eric Johnson.

I have never heard of him playing a 8 string, although with him you never know. The New G3 with Vai/Satriani & John Petrucci is IMHO, the best G3 dvd yet. The all star jams, and in particular Foxey Lady are absolutely amazing.

Petrucci's band consists of Mike Portnoy and Dave LaRue ( Dixie Dregs).

Billy Sheehan also appears with Vai.

I know what you're sayin' Goob. I just wrote a posting in response to why Dream Theater/Mike Portnoy get ripped on so much here...

Speaking of King Crimson, that reminds me. I'm going to Media Play tomorrow to pick up the Neal & Jack & Me DVD, which is a re-release of the VHS concerts for the Beat and 3 of a perfect pair tours on one disc. I had the latter(3...) and loaned it out by mistake and never got it back. Can't wait to see it again. Only $17.99 USD!

Don't let it worry you Goob. unsure.gif

I like Hawkwind fing.gif and won't stop liking them.

They are a kind of cult band, and with being essentially British, tend not to have huge followings elsewhere.

I'm with BSG, I don't give a flying F*ck what other peeps think really. Enjoy the music you like trink39.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Nov 19 2005, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 18 2005, 06:50 PM)

Damn fine taste in music Pixey!! Damn fine!

trink39.gif

TY Dweez! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 20 2005, 06:48 AM)

I'm with BSG, I don't give a flying F*ck what other peeps think really.

But it seems like you do sometimes when people tell you that a band you like aren't all that great. confused13.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Nov 19 2005, 12:07 AM)
When I saw him this summer, he brought out a custom made 8-string guitar. I wans't able to site the actual event, but I found this image of a similar custom built guitar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/rggr/226-0006f.jpg

What is there a LOW G string below the low B string or something? LOL

The dood for the White stripes needs one of those since they dont have a bass player. laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 20 2005, 05:48 AM)

I'm with BSG, I don't give a flying F*ck what other peeps think really. Enjoy the music you like  trink39.gif

I agree, too. If this were a board about '60s and '70s music, and not a Rush board, maybe those bands Goob likes would get more attention. If I started a Return To Forever thread on a Rush board, I wouldn't expect it to get 45 replies because they're just not that well known to hard rock fans, especially the younger ones. I would expect more like 3-4 replies, and that's okay -- I'd be happy that a few Rush fans out there "got it!"

Many of the older members here (and a few younger ones boarder.gif) grew up listening to Heart, either by buying their albums or just hearing them on the radio. Ann Wilson is arguably the best female rock vocalist ever. Their older, harder-rocking songs featured great guitar work. Heart was all over the radio during the '70s through the '90s, and their videos were in heavy rotation on MTV. Nowadays, their numerous hits get regular airplay on classic rock radio. Like them or not, it makes sense that a Heart thread would have 40+ responses on this board. Did Procol Harum and Captain Beefheart have similar exposure?

If this were a Jefferson Airplane board, and someone started a Rush thread, maybe it gets five responses? Maybe it gets ten, with the other five saying, "I hate Geddy Lee's voice!"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2005, 10:38 AM)
D-13, for what it's worth, please forgive me using Heart as an example as it was really only an example of groups that I personally don't understand having enormous popularity here as opposed to groups that I think deserve at least that level of popularity but have FAR less. As I said previously, if you and if anyone enjoys music that I don't get, I'd be the last person to tell you you're wrong or to stop listening. If it does it for you, great. I just don't get most people's musical tastes in general and was seeing if there were others like me who felt like they were pretty much alone in their tastes on TRF outside of a shared love of Rush. Sorry if my intense opinions offended your or anyone else. I'm not apologizing for having my views so much as I apologize if I offended anyone who can't relate to my point of view. Anyway...

Peace,
Gary

Don't apologize my friend! laugh.gif

It's your opinion! Like what BSG said... I don't care what people think of what bands are good or what you listen to. biggrin.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 20 2005, 09:03 AM)

I'm with BSG, I don't give a flying F*ck what other peeps think really. Enjoy the music you like  trink39.gif

I agree, too. If this were a board about '60s and '70s music, and not a Rush board, maybe those bands Goob likes would get more attention. If I started a Return To Forever thread on a Rush board, I wouldn't expect it to get 45 replies because they're just not that well known to hard rock fans, especially the younger ones. I would expect more like 3-4 replies, and that's okay -- I'd be happy that a few Rush fans out there "got it!"

Many of the older members here (and a few younger ones boarder.gif) grew up listening to Heart, either by buying their albums or just hearing them on the radio. Ann Wilson is arguably the best female rock vocalist ever. Their older, harder-rocking songs featured great guitar work. Heart was all over the radio during the '70s through the '90s, and their videos were in heavy rotation on MTV. Nowadays, their numerous hits get regular airplay on classic rock radio. Like them or not, it makes sense that a Heart thread would have 40+ responses on this board. Did Procol Harum and Captain Beefheart have similar exposure?

If this were a Jefferson Airplane board, and someone started a Rush thread, maybe it gets five responses? Maybe it gets ten, with the other five saying, "I hate Geddy Lee's voice!"

ironically enough, i did start a rush thread on a psychedelic music board i used to be active on and practically got laughed off the board, or at least, couldn't find more than maybe one minor fan. i thought it actually fit because feedback had covers of some songs popular amongst psychedelic music fans, but alas, it was the usual you must be joking and the guy's got a horrible voice comments i dealt with in junior high school when talking about Rush.

The point is well taken though. I shouldn't expect people to be into the kind of music I'm into here. The reason I'm HERE as opposed to THERE (psychedelic music forums) is because here there are actually people! Don't get me wrong, there were people on those too, but far too few of them and I got really bored talking about the same kind of music constantly. Here there are lots of people, lots of activity and sub-forums on many things besides just Rush. Don't get me wrong, I love Rush and love talking about them, but if that was all it was I would have gotten a little bored with it awhile ago. Now I can talk about Rush when the mood takes me and talk about other things other times with a big group of cool and diverse people, many of which I've become good friends with!

Pretty cool if you ask me.

goob

one more thing - it's just a general frustration i've had all my life - outside of my brief flirtation with heavy metal as a young teen and pre-teen, I've always been on some kind of musical fringe. i've always just wanted to be able to hang out with people and listen to music i love together, but it's been an exceedingly rare occurrence in my life. usually i'm lucky if i can find a person who likes 5% of what i like. i've always wanted to hang out and listen to the weird and/or complex music i'm into with friends like other people seem to get to do regularly who have more mainstream tastes, but alas, the experience has alluded me most of my life and i must admit to having grown a bit jaded to the point where i think so many people are like musical sheep just following the crowd and not branching out to try out the more obscure music that i see so much in. sorry if my frustration has bursted forth on the board - i just have never gotten why the music i listen to is so vastly unpopular, at least in the era when i've been into it. finding people who like rush is great, but also kind of expected. i know there are tons of rush, pink floyd, led zeppelin and grateful dead fans out there and i love all of those groups. it would be nice to hang out with someone though and listen to ya ho wa 13, the west coast pop art experimental band, paul schutze, banco del mutuo soccorso, ange, kak, klaus schulze, amon duul II and so many others that most people have never heard of. anyway...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 20 2005, 01:03 PM)

Yea, pretty much on the money with that post.

QUOTE (thestand @ Nov 24 2005, 12:50 PM)
... There's been a Captain Beefheart thread before??? I LOVE YOU!!! drool1.gif

um... I love you too??? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

i started a trout mask replica thread a good while back - it met with minor success. oddly enough, trout mask replica got more replys than a lot of other music threads i started. as obscure as he was, he's a lot more well known then many bands from that period i listen to.

i think beefheart deserves a lot more exposure as he was amazingly innovative and original, but he'll probably always be way too avant-garde for most people's tastes...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2005, 06:33 PM)
finding people who like rush is great, but also kind of expected. i know there are tons of rush, pink floyd, led zeppelin and grateful dead fans out there and i love all of those groups. it would be nice to hang out with someone though and listen to ya ho wa 13, the west coast pop art experimental band, paul schutze, banco del mutuo soccorso, ange, kak, klaus schulze, amon duul II and so many others that most people have never heard of. anyway...

You're not alone...

Archived