2. 2. Eliminate:

• Boy (1980)
    • October (1981)
    • War (1983)
    • The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
    • The Joshua Tree (1987)
    • Achtung Baby (1991)
    • Zooropa (1993)

All That You Can't Leave Behind has been eliminated.

13. Songs Of innocence (2014)

12. Songs Of Experience (2017)

11. No Line On The Horizon (2009)

10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004)

9. Pop (1997)

8. All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

Early-midway peak for another band methinks? Is this happening for all bands? Or most on these polls? Must be something to do with creativity/youth and/or the life-cycle of the band and how much creative juices are in the band. And whether they allow the bottle-of-good-stuff to fill up again (due to time-off/new inspiration/whatever).

One from War through to Joshua to win eventually?

Early-midway peak for another band methinks? Is this happening for all bands? Or most on these polls? Must be something to do with creativity/youth and/or the life-cycle of the band and how much creative juices are in the band. And whether they allow the bottle-of-good-stuff to fill up again (due to time-off/new inspiration/whatever).

Achtung Baby for me.
  • Like 1

Achtung Baby for me.

War for me, Achtung Baby would be my number 3 after Joshua Tree.

The 60s bands that have been done, Beatles/ Stones/ Who, all seemed to hit their really popular albums later in the decade, maybe due to improved recording technology?

• Like 1

The 60s bands that have been done, Beatles/ Stones/ Who, all seemed to hit their really popular albums later in the decade, maybe due to improved recording technology?

Most likely better songs.

For me , U2’s strength is as a unit rather than their individual parts.

Exactly. A lot of good rock bands can be summarized this way. The Cars, Radiohead, Tom Petty + Heartbreakers... there's many acts that as a band work, but if you unravel what each musician is doing on any given track there's not a lot (or any) new ground being broken technically.

Comes down to taste and as a (hack) musician/producer myself, I enjoy a good U2 track as much as Dream Theater. It's about connecting and that's why there's a wide variety of music for us all to enjoy and connect with, much of which the next person with seemingly similar tastes might not.

I think Achtung Baby has aged very well, the creative use of lo-fi effects and experimentation makes for an interesting listen even now. TJT is a masterpiece of (mostly) well crafted pop songs. The remaining good songs are scattered across 3 more records and that's basically U2 in a nutshell for me - 2 albums and a handful of other songs. I haven't listened to War or Rattle and Hum from start to finish in probably 20 years, but I'm intimately familiar with the songs I like from each.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2