Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Toto - Isolation (first time listen)

Well it starts off really strong! Track 3 strikes me as a bit less substantial than the first two, and from there it's a mix of great and mid. I can see why it's not considered their peak, but it does have some definite winners.

This is actually in my top three, and I know many fans who love this album.

Endless might just be my number one Toto song! 

BIG FAN of the lead singer as well, his work with Trillion before this record is some of my favourite AOR ever.

• Like 2

Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast

• Like 8

ELO-Discovery (8/10)

Pop-ier Disco tinged ELO.  i don't like as much as Out Of the Blue.  not big on the dance elements....at least not on this band.  and i gotta Confess don't bring me down is my least fave of their hits.

this band kinda peters out after a fantastic 1970's they end on a weaker note for me.  than i like Time even less so i guess i'm a firm 1970's classic ELO guy.

Mick

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

Judas priest - point of entry a.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, I think this ranks amongst their best work.

I love it more than Painkiller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

problem for me is i just don't like Fergie Friderikson's voice.  he spoils it cause the meterial is super strong actually.  but his voice man so high and tinny.

luckily he was one and done.  Word is he was a pain to work with David Paitch has said he recorded every song literally line by line.  and if you've heard live bootlegs from the tour he could not hack it in concert.

and he's been 1 and done in other bands too.  Trillion. Le Roux and......i don't like him in those either, lol

I love the matieral mostly so it's a shame.

Mick

A lot of singers record line by line anymore, but that’s the benefit of digital tech. Back when you had to use tapes I can imagine that getting very expensive very fast.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 12:45 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Survivor-Vital Signs (10/10)

Toto-Isolation (6/10)

Huey Lewis-Fore! (10/10)

Journey-Infinity (9/10)

ELO-Discovery (8/10)

Mick

Dear Mick , I totally agree with you re: your ratings for Vital Signs , Fore and Infinity :yes:

(yep for me Escape is Journey’s 10/10 album)  

please give Isolation a few more plays … it’s worth wayyy more than a mere 6/10 ! 🙁

It’s the album that inspired me to ‘ try ‘LOL to be a musician ! 
I know Fergie’s vocals are perhaps an acquired taste , but the guitar riffs & solos from Luke are sublime :musik19:, Jeff’s drum sound & playing is awesome ️on this album & Paich’s & Steve.P’s keyboard work top notch 😎

IMHO it blows Toto Bore .. sorry Toto IV - 

a soft pop record,  which CBS made them put out to appeal to the non music loving masses ! 🤬-  out of the water ! :pirate:

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This is actually in my top three, and I know many fans who love this album.

Endless might just be my number one Toto song! 

BIG FAN of the lead singer as well, his work with Trillion before this record is some of my favourite AOR ever.

️ Isolation Rules !!!!
:pirate::yes:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Toto - Isolation (first time listen)

Well it starts off really strong! Track 3 strikes me as a bit less substantial than the first two, and from there it's a mix of great and mid. I can see why it's not considered their peak, but it does have some definite winners.

But from an excitement & in their execution of their stellar playing point of view it IS their peak for me Captain EP ! :imo:

I’m showing my age now LOL , but I purchased this album on cassette the day it came out back in late ‘84 .. and It is STILL my favourite Toto album !

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 9:04 PM, J2112YYZ said:

If that album is a 10/10 for everything then Mindcrime is 100/10

I'm ashamed to say that back when Queensryche opened for Metallica on the AJFA tour they were booed off the stage in Detroit.  People were throwing garbage and coins at them while preforming.  I can remember Tate stating if the audience didn't stop they were done.  One more song and done. This was supporting Operation Mindcrime!  I couldn't believe it!

BTW I LOVE the Mindcrime album but in my opinion its recording and mastering are not as good as Empire.  Concept and raw energy are better but not the recording IMO.

1 hour ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Dear Mick , I totally agree with you re: your ratings for Vital Signs , Fore and Infinity :yes:

(yep for me Escape is Journey’s 10/10 album)  

please give Isolation a few more plays … it’s worth wayyy more than a mere 6/10 ! 🙁

It’s the album that inspired me to ‘ try ‘LOL to be a musician ! 
I know Fergie’s vocals are perhaps an acquired taste , but the guitar riffs & solos from Luke are sublime :musik19:, Jeff’s drum sound & playing is awesome ️on this album & Paich’s & Steve.P’s keyboard work top notch 😎

IMHO it blows Toto Bore .. sorry Toto IV - 

a soft pop record,  which CBS made them put out to appeal to the non music loving masses ! 🤬-  out of the water ! :pirate:

The thing about Isolation is a love material.  BUT i'm not a fan of Fergie Frederikson's voice.  and not just in Toto i don't like hin in Any band he's been in.

just to twll you Toto did a version of Lion on 40 Trips round the Sun with Joseph Williams leading that absolutly KILLS. so the songs aren't my issue it's Fergie.

We agree on IV.  overhyped mostly snoozefest.

Mick

Blind Guardian- A Night At The Opera 

Dark Tranquillity- Projector 

Blind Guardian- Beyond The Red Mirror 

Such a fun, dynamic metal album. It also has the least busy compositions and production in a long while.

I can't wait for the new album later this year!

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

A lot of singers record line by line anymore, but that’s the benefit of digital tech. Back when you had to use tapes I can imagine that getting very expensive very fast.

I just have to chime in and say, regardless of recording issues he had with the band, I can't help but love his vocals on this album. I think he's insanely talented, and I loved his solo albums he released in the years before he died as well.

He wasn't easy to work with, but there is a reason he was able to get so many chances. His voice is THAT good. I think he's one of the best vocalists of all time. He's got a range somewhere between Steve Perry and Geoff Tate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I just have to chime in and say, regardless of recording issues he had with the band, I can't help but love his vocals on this album. I think he's insanely talented, and I loved his solo albums he released in the years before he died as well.

He wasn't easy to work with, but there is a reason he was able to get so many chances. His voice is THAT good. I think he's one of the best vocalists of all time. He's got a range somewhere between Steve Perry and Geoff Tate.

eh  all in the ear of the beholder.  i don't like Tate Either so mixing in him isn't gonna make me like fergie any better......but apparently what da hell do i know......i'm alone here so.........:rofl1:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked