New Styx - Crash of the Crown

Laurabw

As someone who loves Styx who thought fans overrated The Mission just a touch, this new album is phenomofuckingal and I can't actually fathom it.

It slapped my tits black blue and backwards and I don't think I will ever recover.

• Like 3

And as someone who thinks the mission is rightly rated. Crash of the Crown still roundhouse kicks it's face and curb stomps it.

i love this new record to DEATH. up there with ANY of the classic period.

maybe better in certain albums cases? maybe?

Mick

• Like 4

As expected, I love it. It met all my expectations, but unlike The Mission, didn't exceed them. After first listen, standout favorites include To Those, A Monster, Reveries, the title track, Stream, and Hold Back The Darkness. Wish JY had more vocal duties, and I also wish Todd got a turn at vocals, at least co-lead (couldve had 4 lead vocalists on the title track! Why stop at 3?) after proving himself worthy on his solo album released last year.

Love the Moog, love the B3 organ, not crazy about how they handled the trumpet solo on Our Wonderful Lives, the guitar solos are great as always. I'm very pleased.

• Like 2

I'm literally three songs in. It's very Pieces of Eight, so far.

I still have a whole album, but there are some killer solos here. It's no shock, when you've got Tommy and James, and I'm liking it, so far.

Mick

If this is like Pieces Of Eight, does that make the Mission like the Grand Illusion? When do we get one like Paradise Theatre?

They're like revising through their work of music, and I have no problem with that, lol.

Seriously, Styx have been killing it, and Lawrence Gowan is a great replacement for Dennis. Dennis is not that missed here.

But I have a hard relationship with him, lol.

Mick

Until the Mission, Styx were in the same boat, similar as, and like Journey and Foreigner, to me, where a bad break up with their lead singer has left them creatively crippled. I always thought they should just make up, but then they did the Mission, and they proved to me they had the drive to be great without DeYoung. I'm still waiting for Journey and Foreigner to prove they don’t need Perry and Gramm

It's always been the name Lawrence Gowan, and not Zack. I have always thought that Styx, Foreigner, and Journey were three similar bands, and groups. Talking about Journey, and Foreigner, they have been working, and going to be releasing some new music. I haven't listened to Styx's Crash of the Crown as it was just released.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

I listened to it last last night.

This is such a good album.

Styx are in a good place right now and I am loving it!!!

• Like 3

I know, who would've thought this could ever happen?

• Like 4

I just wish this pandemic was over so that we could get Stateside to see them again!!

We last saw them live in Nashville 2016. They were great as always!

• Like 3

The 'Crash of the Crown' album cover looks like a giant eyeball.

I wonder if STYX borrowed RUSH's up close eyeball shots from 'The Enemy Within' video and then went to town on the album cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziJqdq4LcA

No pun intended to Gowan, but my comments will probably make people wonder if "(I'm a) strange animal" for thinking that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYPI03cdto

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

I just wish this pandemic was over so that we could get Stateside to see them again!!

We last saw them live in Nashville 2016. They were great as always!

I'm sure they'll be touring next year, hopefully then!

• Like 2

Heard the title track yesterday morning on some syndicated radio show Tommy was guesting on. Really liked it. Gonna have to pick this one up.

Hey guys, come on up to the Northwest please.

• Like 1

I have to say, having been a fan since 1978, I'm just SO THRILLED that there's some fans on TRF too!! I love when my musical worlds blend together!

Right now my current favorite is "A Monster" - it's kind of weird, I think Tommy said in an interview the chords are kind of weird - but I like it. And "Coming Out the Other Side" I like a lot too.

Todd playing:

https://www.facebook...158070019146179

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 2

I have to say, having been a fan since 1978, I'm just SO THRILLED that there's some fans on TRF too!! I love when my musical worlds blend together!

Right now my current favorite is "A Monster" - it's kind of weird, I think Tommy said in an interview the chords are kind of weird - but I like it. And "Coming Out the Other Side" I like a lot too.

Todd playing:

For me at the moment it is Reveries and Hold Back The Darkness. But I hear something different every time I listen to it!!
  • Like 1

Todd playing:

For me at the moment it is Reveries and Hold Back The Darkness. But I hear something different every time I listen to it!!

Like with most albums, itll probably take a few months for me to come down to my single favorite song, although most likely it would be between the 6 I mentioned in my previous post, which, yes I know, is half of the full length songs on the album haha.

• Like 1

Lawrence Gowan was recently interviewed by the SOAL Night Live- The Musical Talk Show channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmHhn62Tj8

Gowan claims that 80% of Crash of the Crown was written before the pandemic and yet the song titles emphasize a subject matter of the world ending.

Then the interviewer says STYX must've had a 'crystal ball' (to pun the band's mid 70's album and title track) of predicting the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5AcvFtf-wI

"STYX's crystal ball works".

On a side note, in 'Crash of the Crown' where Gowan, James J.Y. Young, and Tommy Shaw are taking turns singing verses, makes me think of John, Paul, and George taking turns on the guitar solos on 'In The End' from Abbey Road.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

so speaking of Styx, I'm going to digress, but, I was listening to an interview with Tommy and the guy talking to him for some reason had to start off with Renegade - they just released a new record but we have to go back in time? that's annoying.

Anyway, apparently Tommy had been listening to "The Raven" by Alan Parsons Project and was trying to figure out the song and that was how he came up with the opening chords to Renegade! I'm a big fan of APP and know the song, and not sure how I never knew this before

It's always fun when my bands collide. :)

• Like 1