New Styx - Crash of the Crown

Laurabw

Just got my new Styx, Crash of the Crown, clear vinyl. Literally ripped it open. SO GOOD already!! I'd heard the title track, plus Reveries and Tommy had played Our Wonderful Lives during a few Styx Fixes over the past year. But I hadn't heard the rest till now. It harkens back to their stuff from the 70s, which is awesomely proggy. And there's definitely Yes and Queenish touches as well, which the band has freely admitted to. Oh, and I hear some Tommy/The Who stuff in there too on Common Ground.

Will Evankovich (Guess Who and also producer and other things on The Mission) plays on it, wrote some of it and also produced it.

So excited. They all sound great.

• Like 4

Mine wasn't supposed to be here till tomorrow (CD) and Monday (vinyl) but they both showed up early!

It's totally different, I mean, no story like The Mission. Just as good though, I already love it and it's still first listen. I have to read the lyrics.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my CD isn't coming until Sunday or Monday but I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.

I hope you think so! I'm enjoying it so much. They all sound so good.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my CD isn't coming until Sunday or Monday but I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.

I hope you think so! I'm enjoying it so much. They all sound so good.

Well, up to this point theres not 1 Styx album I don't enjoy, and theres the rare few songs that I dislike, so judging by the 2 singles ive heard already I have high hopes.

• Like 1

It's a good record. Still taking it in after 2 listens. . ( I just bought the mp3s from AMZN this morning).

I definitely hear that old Styx mix , similar to the last album back in 17'. All good.

• Like 3

Interesting I didn’t preorder this. When I think about it it’s definitely been one of my most highly anticipated albums of the year. I’ll have to pick it up some time.
  • Like 1

Interesting I didn’t preorder this. When I think about it it’s definitely been one of my most highly anticipated albums of the year. I’ll have to pick it up some time.

You must! If you liked their older stuff, you'll like it.

• Like 2

Literally 3 songs in. it's very pieces of Eight so far.

still have a whole album but some killer solos here. but no shock when you've got Tommy and JY. liking it so far.

Mick

If this is like Pieces Of Eight, does that make The Mission like The Grand Illusion? When do we get one like Paradise Theatre?

• Like 1

still have a whole album but some killer solos here. but no shock when you've got Tommy and JY. liking it so far.

Mick

If this is like Pieces Of Eight, does that make The Mission like The Grand Illusion? When do we get one like Paradise Theatre?

their like re-going through their work. and i have zero problem with that, lol

Seriously Styx havee been killing it. and Zack gowan is a great replacement for Dennis. Dennis is not that missed here.

But i have a hard relationship with him, lol

Mick

• Like 4

Mick

Seriously Styx havee been killing it. and Zack gowan is a great replacement for Dennis. Dennis is not that missed here.

Mick

Until The Mission, Styx were in the same boat as like Journey and Foreigner to me, where a bad break up with their lead singer has left them creatively crippled. I always thought they should just make up, but then they did The Mission and they proved to me they had the drive to be great without DeYoung. Still waiting for Journey and Foreigner to prove they don’t need Perry and Gramm

• Like 4

Mick

Mick

Until The Mission, Styx were in the same boat as like Journey and Foreigner to me, where a bad break up with their lead singer has left them creatively crippled. I always thought they should just make up, but then they did The Mission and they proved to me they had the drive to be great without DeYoung. Still waiting for Journey and Foreigner to prove they don’t need Perry and Gramm

you'll never get a good journey album. Cain and Schon litterally hate each other. they just tour and argue on twitter.

Mick

• Like 1

I hear a bit of Tommy/The Who in the keys when Gowan is singing towards the end of Common Ground.
  • Like 1

So on my first listen i'm so pleased. i got heavy Pieces...vibes. and the guitar and Keys work throughout....some of their best.

i was not expecting a sstyx second coming, ol

Mick

This is what i"ve been saying since The Mission!!

But yeah, love this album after only two listens. Similar retro sound to The Mission, but totally different at the same time.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

you'll never get a good journey album. Cain and Schon litterally hate each other. they just tour and argue on twitter.

Mick

Oh well, at least they put aside their differences enough to appear together at the RRHOF. I hate the Hall, but it wouldn't have been right to induct the band without both of them present.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I totally missed pre ordering this but will give it a go based on all the great reviews. Thanks for the feedback! I love to get good new music.

you'll be pleased with this one.

Mick

• Like 2

I absolutely LOATHED Styx for ages.

But I’ve been digging the Mission. And I just gave this a listen today, and I am really enjoying it. Sucherman’s playing is perfect for this material. And that was one my criticisms of earlier Styx: Stodgy-ass drumming.