Star Trek

KenJennings

20 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

I have felt this way for years. It's honestly one of my least favorite episodes of TNG.

This is all very confusing and dull for Picard.

:rofl1:

I've seen this episode at least twice and have no impression of it at all.

I'm a sometimes Trek fan: liked TNG back in the day, liked most of the movies (even the bad ones), and never really enjoyed anything else other than Enterprise.  There's a sale on the full season of Picard for $50.  Should I get it? 

2 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

I'm a sometimes Trek fan: liked TNG back in the day, liked most of the movies (even the bad ones), and never really enjoyed anything else other than Enterprise.  There's a sale on the full season of Picard for $50.  Should I get it? 

Classic Trek Man, here is my advice. Skip Discovery completely the good 18 minutes are worth the price of admission. Watch only season 3 of Picard, watch all of Lower Decks give it three episodes you'll be hooked, watch all of Strange New Worlds.

You have watched DS9, correct?

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

Classic Trek Man, here is my advice. Skip Discovery completely the good 18 minutes are worth the price of admission. Watch only season 3 of Picard, watch all of Lower Decks give it three episodes you'll be hooked, watch all of Strange New Worlds.

You have watched DS9, correct?

I watched about 10 episodes of DS9 probably about 15 years after they came out, and I didn’t like it (I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t like it).  I watched the first season of Discovery and liked some action, but hated virtually all of the characters and plot lines and actually forgot it existed until I saw the sale on Picard.  Never heard of Strange New Worlds or Lower Decks, but I see they are on Paramount+ so I will not watch them until they get on another platform.  

So, Picard season 3 for $25 or all 3 seasons for $50?

1 hour ago, NoahLutz said:

I watched about 10 episodes of DS9 probably about 15 years after they came out, and I didn’t like it (I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t like it).  I watched the first season of Discovery and liked some action, but hated virtually all of the characters and plot lines and actually forgot it existed until I saw the sale on Picard.  Never heard of Strange New Worlds or Lower Decks, but I see they are on Paramount+ so I will not watch them until they get on another platform.  

So, Picard season 3 for $25 or all 3 seasons for $50?

I can't say for sure but I remember like ST: TNG that DS9 took sometime to find it's sweet spot. Probably around the second half of season two, also later on having a small starship to occasionally run around with.

Spoiler

Like ST: TNG got better after Riker's beard, did DS9 get better after Sisko started shaving his head?

Are Picard season 1 & 2 worth $25? I dunno, with the exception of DISCO which I stopped watching midway through season 4 even lousy Trek is pretty good. I'd be interested in what the other three geeks have to say.

Since Lower Decks aired it's Twovix episode my experience online has been being bombarded with Tuvix memes. Memes mostly portraying Janeway as a cold, heartless murderer. As I explained to my wife. While I've seen every episode of Star Trek, with the exception of DISCO, that doesn't mean I remember them all, many episodes left no impression on me. I didn't remember Tuvix, having just re-watched it I'm surprised. I found it compelling today.

I do admit to thinking ST technology should have been able to...I dunno put Tuvix's pattern in some technobable buffer or some such thing prior to separation. Making some carbon copy of him in 21st century layman's terms. Then separate him. Alas TV needs drama.

What is the libertarian case for the Tuvix problem?

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS: 6 STAR TREK: VOYAGER Episodes to Watch After 'Twovix '

SNW might be the very best Trek series, we'll see how it goes.

Until that point DS9 is the best, which means I can't advise someone who doesn't think much of it on Trek.

TNG is second (or third if SNW continues it's climb)

Lower Decks is essential for any Trek fan, but it's better the more you know the various earlier series.

I agree on Picard 3, it is so much better than the other two Picard seasons.

I like Discovery. It makes several mistakes that range from annoying to glaring, but I like it.

Voyager is also better than Enterprise, btw.

Enterprise might be my last favorite since Picard redeemed itself. It's clunky like Discovery and Voyager, when it's good it's very good, but sometimes it's bad.

However you slice it, the to three are SNW, TNG, and DS9. And it's put TOS right after.

The animated series is excellent, but exists only to reflect the other series. It can't be best, but it's essential if you like Trek and it's excellent.

On 9/9/2023 at 12:14 PM, KenJennings said:

I have felt this way for years. It's honestly one of my least favorite episodes of TNG.

I don't have the skills to do it.... but I have this mental image of Picard playing the intro to Black Sabbath's "The Wizard" on that little flute throughout the episode.  If only someone could make that idea into a video. LOL.

On 10/24/2023 at 12:35 PM, grep said:

I think the Lower Decks guys are starting to run out of ideas.

I give the show 1 more season, and that's it.

Tlhih're qih

3 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

Or perhaps “Insurrection.”

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

• Like 2

Variety on the future of the franchise.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features/star-trek-future-starfleet-academy-section-31-michelle-yeoh-1235952301/

For Season 3, debuting in 2025, Frakes directed an episode framed as a Hollywood murder mystery that he calls “the best episode of television I’ve ever done.”

Star-Trek-Variety-Cover-Story-Illustrati

Every single person I spoke to for this story talked about “Star Trek” with a joyful earnestness as rare in the industry as (nerd alert) a Klingon pacifist.

The issue is that “Starfleet Academy” is set in the 32nd century, an era so far into the future Kurtzman and his team need to invent much of its design language.

Edited by JohnRogers

Starfleet Academy was an idea I first heard about back in the early 90's AOL days.  I think even Ron D Moore might have mentioned that it was being considered, back when he used to post about DS9 stuff.

I wasn't enthused then, and I'm less enthused now.   But it's not being targeted at my demographic today - it's going to be a kids/young adult show, I think.  Hope it's good for them.

1 hour ago, grep said:

I wasn't enthused then, and I'm less enthused now.   But it's not being targeted at my demographic today - it's going to be a kids/young adult show, I think.  Hope it's good for them.

Exactly, I'm almost a Star Trek completest but I'll pass. Rave reviews could change my mind.

6 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Is Prometheus an almost shot for shot secret remake of Star Trek V?

After being asked about the Star Trek episode she starred in in 1967, The City on the Edge of Forever, Joan Collins confessed that since then she'd had so many facelifts that she's got a beard and it's thicker than Shatner's wig!