THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

i had no idea that the Baxters and Coopers were gypsies. I have a ton of both in my family on my mom's side.

4 hours ago, jamie said:

i'm getting the slightest bit worried about the transmission though.

Is it acting up? Mazda’s 6-speed automatics have enjoyed pretty legendary reliability, if your Mazda is new enough to have it. Can’t remember the year cutoff. 

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

Gotta get out soon, the forecast is sunshine, warm, low humidity.

The Miata has been getting comparatively neglected this year. First year it didn't go on an out of state trip. Taking it out for a full day drive of many canyon roads Saturday with the boys.

A man only gets so many summers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

pay bills,

Bills I have that are not on autopay, that I have to pay manually:

one credit card

car insurance every six months

yep, that's it

I mean even the mortgage is on autopay

Edited by That One Guy

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Is it acting up? Mazda’s 6-speed automatics have enjoyed pretty legendary reliability, if your Mazda is new enough to have it. Can’t remember the year cutoff. 

Mazda got their great 6-speed automatic for 2012. Is your Mazzy3 older than that? If so, it's pretty much 90% Ford parts

Edited by That One Guy

22 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Miata has been getting comparatively neglected this year. First year it didn't go on an out of state trip. Taking it out for a full day drive of many canyon roads Saturday with the boys.

A man only gets so many summers

and when I say all day I mean this

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/WHISTLE+WOK/38.7651815,-111.6532685/38.5247104,-111.5712696/39.5115692,-111.1576965/WHISTLE+WOK,+East+30+North,+American+Fork,+UT/@39.4745771,-111.4021314,8.84z/data=!4m17!4m16!1m5!1m1!1s0x874d8168e7ddb211:0xfc1a41e6251a2326!2m2!1d-111.79343!2d40.377722!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x874d8168e7ddb211:0xfc1a41e6251a2326!2m2!1d-111.79343!2d40.377722!3e0?entry=ttu

30 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Bills I have that are not on autopay, that I have to pay manually:

one credit card

car insurance every six months

yep, that's it

I mean even the mortgage is on autopay

Bah, auto-pay is for hipsters that drive EV. I like to open envelopes twice a month and verbally complain about what I'm paying. I don't send checks anymore, I pay online, sometimes even using the mobile app, I'm not a neanderthal for chrissakes.

5 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Bah, auto-pay is for hipsters that drive EV. I like to open envelopes twice a month and verbally complain about what I'm paying. I don't send checks anymore, I pay online, sometimes even using the mobile app, I'm not a neanderthal for chrissakes.

Brah, I play it both ways.

I have autopay on the mortgage but I STILL choose to get mailed a paper statement every month. I like looking at the paper. I like seeing a six figure principal balance go down $700 every month.

My second bank recently notified me that they won't mail paper statements anymore, lol

Edited by That One Guy

15 hours ago, grep said:

90 grand for a ride with batteries that are only guaranteed for 8 years doesn't sound all that appealing, TBH.  That's not a long time at all.  Get that down to 50K and I'm interested. Maybe.  Because charging availability on the road, and charging times still aren't there yet.  LIke, If I'm going to drive 600 miles on a vacation trip, that's what, 2 charges minimum?  How long does each take, and how vulnerable am I sitting in some place for like an hour with few options for alternatives. 

I drive A LOT, and getting stuck somewhere is my biggest fear. 

The tech and prices have to get better before the average person will buy into this promising stuff.

I'm going to try to squeeze as much life out of my current 3 year old ride as I can.... and in 5 years look to get a hybrid. 

To be fair, that's 90 grand for a sedan that is nearly the fastest vehicle of any type on the planet, backed by an 8 year warranty. Remember that few gasoline cars carry a powertrain warranty longer than 5yr/60k miles. They sell a 75k version that isn't so hyper fast. They sell smaller vehicles that are cheaper, like the $42k Model 3. The Model S has about a 400 mile EPA range. EVs are most efficient at lower speeds. If you're hauling ass on 85mph road trips, you won't get 400 miles, and you can't really do a 2% to 100% charge (trickle charging from 90 to 100% is slow). Generally road trip charging from 10% to 80% is the fastest way. Most newer EVs get about 200-250 miles in that 70% of the battery, and it would take 20-40 minutes if the charger can pump out enough power, depending on the EV.

This is all to say that EV road tripping has gotten solid, totally doable for the typical person--but no, not good enough for those that road trip constantly, or have very frequent 400+ mile driving days like yourself. Hyper roadtrippers are a fringe population that will be served last in the EV revolution. But it is getting better every year.

Price wars have started happening but more attractive prices still need another year or two. If you factor in the federal tax credit, a Model 3 is cheaper than a comparably equipped Camry. Same story with the F-150 Lightning vs gas.

There's a lot of good hybrids on the market now, you will be well-served on your next purchase. Toyota 4x4's are going hybrid and I'm fairly excited for that. They estimate that the new Land Cruiser may get an EPA rating of 27mpg combined. My 2023 4Runner with a big old (and I mean OLD) V6 is EPA rated 17mpg.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Haven't spun Presto in years.

Immediately takes me back to 2012 me exploring offroad alone in my 1987 4Runner for a couple weeks. Presto was frequently playing during that personal odyssey.

"Officer caught on bodycam laughing, joking over death of grad student struck by another cop"

https://abc7chicago.com/seattle-officer-laughs-at-woman-killed-daniel-auderer-cop-laughing-jaahnavi-kandula-video/13781386/

Not intelligent. Not good for police departments to tolerate. Press this bad is what causes some to choose attempting to assassinate random police officers. If I was a cop, I would look this video and say "this officers actions indirectly endanger my safety on the job".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

"Officer caught on bodycam laughing, joking over death of grad student struck by another cop"

https://abc7chicago.com/seattle-officer-laughs-at-woman-killed-daniel-auderer-cop-laughing-jaahnavi-kandula-video/13781386/

Not intelligent. Not good for police departments to tolerate. Press this bad is what causes some to choose attempting to assassinate random police officers. If I was a cop, I would look this video and say "this officers actions indirectly endanger my safety on the job".

There has already been a spokesman saying it was taken out of context and he was aiming his comments at lawyers. Riiiiiight.

6 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

There has already been a spokesman saying it was taken out of context and he was aiming his comments at lawyers. Riiiiiight.

Yeah I don't care about the context. It's an armed public servant on duty, supposedly expected to operate at a professional level, finding it hilarious that his fellow officer drove 74mph through an urban intersection and murdered some woman in the process.

Yeah dude, super duper funny, joke about it on the clock while you're driving the same vehicle.

If I publicly laughed and joked about a person getting killed by a civil engineering project that had structurally failed, I would be risking my licensure for unprofessional conduct.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

What is "TOG" and SOCN"? 

As for the toxic poop, you might want to have that checked out. :laugh:

I'm TOG

SOCN is Sense O' Clock News, the political subforum here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BastillePark said:

What is "TOG" and SOCN"? 

As for the toxic poop, you might want to have that checked out. :laugh:

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm TOG

SOCN is Sense O' Clock News, the political subforum here.

and toxic poop is a grand TOST tradition