THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

On 4/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, That One Guy said:

High speed rail? No thanks, I’d like to drive my $40k car that I insure and pay gas on, and remain at attention in a stressful situation so I don’t wreck it or get injured. I would like to do this for several hours and get passed by the train. It is the American way. 

A map of train lines in the US and Europe. 

ChblQqF.jpeg

Does Dawn have a monopoly on being the only good dish soap? In this essay, I will-

I finally have a way to watch Dodger baseball again!!! It keeps me sane!

Nothing better than getting stoned, making some good food, and watching some baseball. 

I didn’t have this many gray hairs before I moved to Arkansas 

The last 5-6 months have really aged me 

Going gray in your mid-late 20s is cool, I guess. 

• Like 1

It’s time to get my covid and flu shots 

I want to be a freaking board-certified entomologist someday 

4 hours ago, jamie said:

I finally have a way to watch Dodger baseball again!!! It keeps me sane!

4 hours ago, jamie said:

Nothing better than getting stoned, making some good food, and watching some baseball. 

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Baseball???

Meh, baseball. Give me triad!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 6:08 PM, BastillePark said:

A map of train lines in the US and Europe. 

ChblQqF.jpeg

I wonder how that aligns with population density

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goose said:

I wonder how that aligns with population density

Shhhh, don't tell TOG. I was really looking forward to that Amtrak expansion from OKC to KC that was planned like 15 years ago. Then we moved away. I'm sure its very popular...oh, wait it still doesn't exist. Oh well, Enid to KC is only 4.5 hours by Ford F-150. 

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, That One Guy said:

Wouldn’t catch me buying one. Between pure ICE, hybrid ICE (HEV), PHEV, and BEV, it’s by a wide margin the dumbest type of vehicle you could buy. I like EV purchase tax credit subsidies but kind of hate that we’re giving them to PHEVs. 

To anyone buying a non-Toyota PHEV, enjoy maintaining a costly mechanical nightmare in 8-10 years. All for next to no benefit compared to the alternatives. As if EVs can’t do your driving or 50mpg hybrids aren’t good enough lol 

I read another theory today. Hybrid, whether typical or plug-in is probably going to be more reliable than a gas or diesel only engine because neither the electric nor fuel parts will run 100% of the time as they would in with an ICE engine. :confused:

19 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I read another theory today. Hybrid, whether typical or plug-in is probably going to be more reliable than a gas or diesel only engine because neither the electric nor fuel parts will run 100% of the time as they would in with an ICE engine. :confused:

I don’t personally believe that. It’s more systems with more potentials for failure. 

A well-engineered electric vehicle is the gold standard of reliability. At best, an extremely well-engineered ICE vehicle can maybe attempt to come close. 

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don’t personally believe that. It’s more systems with more potentials for failure. 

A well-engineered electric vehicle is the gold standard of reliability. At best, an extremely well-engineered ICE vehicle can maybe attempt to come close. 

It's the same systems that are used on non-hybrid vehicles, no? The all electric ones use a similar system but with a larger battery and the all gas/diesel use the same but without the electric integration. Unless they came up with a completely new gasoline powered system to install on hybrid vehicles, wouldn't the ICE in a standard Camry be the same as the one in a hybrid Camry but with less HP?

45 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

It's the same systems that are used on non-hybrid vehicles, no? The all electric ones use a similar system but with a larger battery and the all gas/diesel use the same but without the electric integration. Unless they came up with a completely new gasoline powered system to install on hybrid vehicles, wouldn't the ICE in a standard Camry be the same as the one in a hybrid Camry but with less HP?

Not quite that simple. Hybrids tend to have much weaker motors than PHEVs and BEVs. They generally can only put full power down, or get above 40-50mph, when they kick the gas engine on. 

My theory is more stuff on one vehicle is more stuff on one vehicle. Overstressing parts for long times is the problem, not merely using them in the first place. 

If I had to take my guess at most reliable cars on sale today, I’d suspect 2.0L Corolla/Civic, 2wd 4Runner, base Rav4, and a couple EVs.