Moving Pictures on Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Best Albums of All Time

RushFanForever

Lauryn Hill is in the top 10? Very moronic.

I mean, not true. I'm not a huge fan of hers myself but that album is very well renowned in both the hip hop world and the soul world as one of the greatest of all time.

Whatever. I have nothing againt Mrs Hill, but I still find very absurd to see her album in the top 10, while i.e. Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is about 20 spots lower, although being the much more significant classic in music history.

And Kanye West gets too much ass kissing as usual.

Why do you find it absurd that a critically and publicly acclaimed album which is generally considered a classic would sit in the top ten?

Kind Of Blue might be the best selling jazz album of all time, but that doesn't really make it anywhere close to the greatest. It's honestly a little tepid in places. Sketches Of Spain is much more interesting.

Have you ever actually listened to Kanye? I don't think so many of his albums deserve to be in the top 500 as there are, but just one is probably too few as well.

Yes, I've listened three Kanye albums, MBDTF being one of them. They're far from bad. But I still think he doesn't deserve so much praise and hype.

Marvin Gaye's album is ranked No 1 of all time? I get that he is a legendary soul artist, but does his album really have a MASS appeal?Nope. According to RIAA it went only Gold in the US and Platinum in the UK.

This list tried so hard to be politically correct (regarding gender and race).

My understanding from folks who have worked there is that Jann Wenner hated prog rock and was the driving force in keeping Rush and other similar bands off these lists in years past. But he sold the magazine a few years ago and doesn't really have any involvement anymore, and their coverage of Rush has become a lot more positive since then.

I think there was some game being played with the "In" bands and RS in the 70,80,90s.

Payola, blow, free tickets, access to the cool parties etc.

Since prog bands were more punk than any other acts, and didn't need RS at all, they were hated. Oh, you're going to write a mean review? Who gives a shit.

The reality is that kids didn't give a shit about RS then, either. I enjoyed reading it - but it didn't stop me, as hard as they could try, from being a DIE HARD Rush, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson fan.

Yeah. I certainly never bought a copy of RS back n the day and I don't remember anyone I knew doing so either.

(so yeah...f**k 'em)

• Like 1

Kind Of Blue might be the best selling jazz album of all time, but that doesn't really make it anywhere close to the greatest. It's honestly a little tepid in places. Sketches Of Spain is much more interesting.

"Kind of Blue" is generally regarded as the greatest jazz album along with John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme".

And as a music artist Miles Davis is definitely more significant and highly regarded than Lauryn Hill.

by now the OG critics like lester bangs, christgau, greil marcus, dave marsh, etc, etc are dead or retired, and these were guys who adhered to a very strict and limited idea of what rock was supposed to be. anything that deviated far from the chuck berry/rolling stones formula these guys grew up with was considered pretentious trash, which is why they liked any/all punk bands, regardless of merit. if I was born in the early 1940s and my favorite artists were buddy holly and bob dylan, I probably wouldnt wanna hear canucks on helium sing about spaceships either.

not surprising that five decades after the fact youve got a few rush fans who have weaseled their way into the magazine.

• Like 1

I mean, not true. I'm not a huge fan of hers myself but that album is very well renowned in both the hip hop world and the soul world as one of the greatest of all time.

Whatever. I have nothing againt Mrs Hill, but I still find very absurd to see her album in the top 10, while i.e. Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is about 20 spots lower, although being the much more significant classic in music history.

Why do you find it absurd that a critically and publicly acclaimed album which is generally considered a classic would sit in the top ten?

Have you ever actually listened to Kanye? I don't think so many of his albums deserve to be in the top 500 as there are, but just one is probably too few as well.

sketches is a little too mild-mannered

"Kind of Blue" is generally regarded as the greatest jazz album along with John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme".

And as a music artist Miles Davis is definitely more significant and highly regarded than Lauryn Hill.

By Rolling Stone maybe. A Love Supreme is vastly superior to Kind Of Blue in my opinion, along with a number of other albums including some my Miles himself. Kind Of Blue is a good album with some great moments, but I really don't see it as the greatest of all time.

I read the list. Drake better than Rush and Yes? :wtf:

And Beyonce album is at #32? Ahead of Dark Side of the Moon? Crappy, worthless, moronic list.

And your problem with Beyonce? What album is that, Lemonade? I think after 4 years that's actually never left the billboard 200 and has received more accolades critical and public than most any other album from the past 5 years.

I'll agree with this. I and I think most people familiar with all three artists would put Drake behind Rush and Yes.

Yes, I've listened three Kanye albums, MBDTF being one of them. They're far from bad. But I still think he doesn't deserve so much praise and hype.

Marvin Gaye's album is ranked No 1 of all time? I get that he is a legendary soul artist, but does his album really have a MASS appeal?Nope. According to RIAA it went only Gold in the US and Platinum in the UK.

This list tried so hard to be politically correct (regarding gender and race).

Another massively critically acclaimed album that has plenty of public love. It wouldn't make my top ten, but I don't think it's a bad choice for RS's number one album. It's very progressive actually, incredibly influential as well. Not to mention it's just a good album through and through.

• Like 1

By Rolling Stone maybe. A Love Supreme is vastly superior to Kind Of Blue in my opinion, along with a number of other albums including some my Miles himself. Kind Of Blue is a good album with some great moments, but I really don't see it as the greatest of all time.

Kind of Blue is the highest ranked/rated jazz album on RateYourMusic:

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

From Wikipedia: Kind of Blue has been regarded by many critics as the greatest jazz record, Davis's masterpiece, and one of the best albums of all time. Its influence on music, including jazz, rock, and classical genres, has led writers to also deem it one of the most influential albums ever recorded.

Kind of Blue is the highest ranked/rated jazz album on RateYourMusic:

http://rateyourmusic...none&countries=

From Wikipedia: Kind of Blue has been regarded by many critics as the greatest jazz record, Davis's masterpiece, and one of the best albums of all time. Its influence on music, including jazz, rock, and classical genres, has led writers to also deem it one of the most influential albums ever recorded.

Yep, I know how critically acclaimed it is. Not disputing that, and not disputing that it deserves a high ranking with that legacy. I just don't love it as much as many other jazz records. Like Brilliant Corners from Thelonious Monk a Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet.

I'll agree with this. I and I think most people familiar with all three artists would put Drake behind Rush and Yes.

no. f**k that m8. Kanye West better than Rush and Yes?

:no:

no. f**k that m8. Kanye West better than Rush and Yes?

:no:

I mean, there are definitely some Kanye albums (Late Registration, perhaps My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) I would take over some low tier Rush and Yes albums. Rush and Yes aren't automatically better in every matchup because they have higher highs.

Another example of why it's such a dumb idea to rank albums using any method other than commercial success.

Would've been better to have just called it 500 albums you should own (I do have plenty of them myself) and forgotten about numbering them.

Edited by Lurkst

My music tastes are rather narrow as far as listening to different genres. I listen to very little orchestral, jazz, r'n'b, reggae, rap, hip hop, country, bluegrass, folk, techno etc

Basically I listen to rock hard/prog and metal with occasional bouts of jazz/r'n'b/orchestral.

And not one Zappa title in the whole lot?!?! :huh:

I own 40 of these albums

The Stooges, 'The Stooges' (488) cd

Yes, 'Close to the Edge' (445) cd

David Bowie, 'Scary Monsters' (443) vinyl/cd

Motörhead, 'Ace of Spades' (408) cd

Ramones, 'Rocket to Russia' (385) cd

Rush, 'Moving Pictures' (379) vinyl/cassette/cd

Aerosmith, 'Rocks' (366) vinyl/cd

Sonic Youth, 'Goo' (358) cd

Dr. John, 'Gris-Gris' (356) cd

Black Sabbath, 'Black Sabbath' (355) vinyl/cd

MC5, 'Kick Out the Jams' (349) vinyl

Kiss, 'Alive!' (305) vinyl/cd

Neil Young, 'Rust Never Sleeps' (296) cd

Van Halen, 'Van Halen' (292) vinyl

Led Zeppelin, 'Houses of the Holy' (278) vinyl/cd

Pink Floyd, 'Wish You Were Here' (264) vinyl/cd

Pink Floyd, 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (253) cd

Metallica, 'Metallica (The Black Album)' (235) cd

Black Sabbath, 'Master of Reality' (234) vinyl/cd

David Bowie, 'Low' (206) vinyl/cd

Led Zeppelin, 'Physical Graffiti' (144) cd

Black Sabbath, 'Paranoid' (139) vinyl/cd

Pink Floyd, 'The Wall' (129) cd

Queen, 'A Night at the Opera' (128) cd

Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin II' (123) vinyl/cd

Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin' (101) vinyl/cd

Metallica, 'Master of Puppets' (97) cassette/cd

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, 'Axis: Bold as Love' (92) cd

David Bowie, 'Hunky Dory' (88) vinyl/cd

AC/DC, 'Back in Black' (84) cd

Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin IV' (58) vinyl/cd

Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon' (55) vinyl/cd

Jimi Hendrix, 'Electric Ladyland' (53) cd

David Bowie, 'Station to Station' (52) vinyl/cd

David Bowie, 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' (40) vinyl/cd

Miles Davis, 'Kind of Blue' (31) cd

Jimi Hendrix, 'Are You Experienced'(30) cd

The Velvet Underground, 'The Velvet Underground and Nico'(23) cd

Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'(7) cd

Nirvana, 'Nevermind'(6) cd