The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

What are the odds Ukraine and Austria just kick it back and forth for 90 minutes? Austria do have that in the toolkit, you know! As I understand it, a draw would probably suit them both, so I'm not anticipating a lot of attacking verve from either side. Is there some next-round match-up hoodoo, perhaps?

So, if they drew, which of them would go through?

What are the odds Ukraine and Austria just kick it back and forth for 90 minutes? Austria do have that in the toolkit, you know! As I understand it, a draw would probably suit them both, so I'm not anticipating a lot of attacking verve from either side. Is there some next-round match-up hoodoo, perhaps?

Some (four?) third place teams will go through, so it's possible they'd both go through, hence the need to avoid losing rather than attempt to win. I'm sure there's some goal difference algebra, but I don't know it. Maybe one of them does need to win to advance?

• Like 1

Some (four?) third place teams will go through, so it's possible they'd both go through, hence the need to avoid losing rather than attempt to win. I'm sure there's some goal difference algebra, but I don't know it. Maybe one of them does need to win to advance?

Ah! I didn't realise that. In that case I will avoid watching that one!!!

So... Group C runners-up will play Italy... so Ukraine, Austria, do you fancy that? Hello? Anybody?

However, whoever finishes third - if they are one of the favoured third place finishers, of course, will play the winners of the Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Poland group.

For winning the group, as they`ve already done, Netherlands will play the third place team from the above group, England`s group, or the Germany, Portugal, France Hungary group.

I don`t think there`s a way to plot through the tournament in a clever way. As the cliche goes, you have to play the best team to win! *Rarely the case in real life.

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

So... Group C runners-up will play Italy... so Ukraine, Austria, do you fancy that? Hello? Anybody?

However, whoever finishes third - if they are one of the favoured third place finishers, of course, will play the winners of the Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Poland group.

For winning the group, as they`ve already done, Netherlands will play third place team from the above group, England`s group, or the Germany, Portugal, France Hungary group.

I don`t think there`s a way to plot through the tournament this in a clever way. As the cliche goes, you have to play the best team to win! *Rarely the case in real life.

Some teams would be over the moon getting out of the group or lose in the quarterfinals, so calculations will always exist.
  • Like 1

For winning the group, as they`ve already done, Netherlands will play third place team from the above group, England`s group, or the Germany, Portugal, France Hungary group.

I don`t think there`s a way to plot through the tournament this in a clever way. As the cliche goes, you have to play the best team to win! *Rarely the case in real life.

Some teams would be over the moon getting out of the group or lose in the quarterfinals, so calculations will always exist.

And would any of those teams begin with a P?
  • Like 2

Ukraine allowing far too much offensive pressure by Austria from the outset, and it has bitten them in the ass. Austria gets the early goal! Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I've read seven articles talking about group possibilities involving Poland, yes.
  • Like 3

I've read seven articles talking about group possibilities involving Poland, yes.

You`ve got more flair than Sweden, but it would be an excellent tactic to persuade Isak to "get a knock in training" if he doesn`t want anything to happen to his family. Or even better, Sweden rest him in an act of pure Scandinavian madness. Any of the articles mention those strategies?
  • Like 3

You`ve got more flair than Sweden, but it would be an excellent tactic to persuade Isak to "get a knock in training" if he doesn`t want anything to happen to his family. Or even better, Sweden rest him in an act of pure Scandinavian madness. Any of the articles mention those strategies?

Only about Sweden being confident, looking for three points and winning the group. There's also some respect regarding Lewandowski, but the Swedes believe they have a strong D. Who can argue with that, they haven't given up a goal yet.
  • Like 2

I`m more interested in the later matches today - I`d like Denmark to manage a win to sneak past Finland and at least put themselves in with a shout for a best 3rd place team. Otherwise, their tournament would really have sucked, and they and Christian don`t deserve that. They were playing so well coming into it. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

I`m more interested in the later matches today - I`d like Denmark to manage a win to sneak past Finland and at least themselves in with a shout for a best 3rd place team. Otherwise, their tournament would really have sucked, and they and Christian don`t deserve that. They were playing so well coming into it.

They deserve something - to have that happen to Eriksen and then be put on the spot immediately regarding the completion of the game was pretty disastrous.
  • Like 2

Not sure which game to watch. I think I'll go for the Russia v Denmark game.

That`s my pick, due to two sides requiring something instead of one. I`m sure Belgium will be less than their strongest self (not that it should hamper them too much in terms of a result).
  • Like 1

I don`t think I`ve celebrated a goal by Andreas Christensen before :drool:

Denmark, you little beauty :heart:

Nights like tonight are one of the reasons I love footballs so much!

To see Denmark go through was glorious.

Enough to warm the heart of even the most cynical person!!

• Like 1

Does Putin like football? This XI had better hope not :bang bang:

Are there football pitches in Siberia?
  • Like 1

I don`t think I`ve celebrated a goal by Andreas Christensen before :drool:

Denmark, you little beauty :heart:

Nights like tonight are one of the reasons I love footballs so much!

To see Denmark go through was glorious.

Enough to warm the heart of even the most cynical person!!

It`s the feelgood story of the year :D
  • Like 1

Man City lining up £100 mil transfer fee bid for Harry Kane. Someone's serious.

They mustn't be watching England at the Euros then! :16ton:
  • Like 1

I heard today it was turned down.

Crazy, £100 mill could buy in some serious replacements.
  • Like 1