The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Don`t let an ex-West Ham and Stoke player who`s now retired in China come between you and your destiny! :popcorn:

I`d forgotten how terrifying knockout stages of international football are.

Edited by IbanezJem

Disappointment for me, but this performance will not be even close enough for Belgium. :fury:

The next victims of what they`re already calling "The Curse of Blackhawkrush" :zalice:
  • Like 1

Disappointment for me, but this performance will not be even close enough for Belgium. :fury:

The next victims of what they`re already calling "The Curse of Blackhawkrush" :zalice:

All right, let's try: I believe Portugal will defeat Belgium. :)
  • Like 1

If Penaldo is given the chance to score from 11 metres Portugal might win.
  • Like 3

We`re all in agreement that the Dutch will overcome the Czech Republic? I think set pieces could easily trouble the Netherlands, but they should have enough. As for the thorny issue of Belgium and Portugal, there`s no doubt Belgium can be thrilling, and Portugal are creaking - I think the noise is Pepe`s knees - but there are lots of matches where they`re clearly inferior then CR scores a penalty. It`s going to be a little bit Beauty vs Beast, which I like the idea of because of how offended Ronaldo would be. Can Portugal squeeze one more win from their old men? I think.... no. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

We`re all in agreement that the Dutch will overcome the Czech Republic? I think set pieces could easily trouble the Netherlands, but they should have enough. As for the thorny issue of Belgium and Portugal, there`s no doubt Belgium can be thrilling, and Portugal are creaking - I think the noise is Pepe`s knees - but there are lots of matches where they`re clearly inferior then CR scores a penalty. It`s going to be a little bit Beauty vs Beast, which I like the idea of because of how offended Ronaldo would be. Can Portugal squeeze one more win from their old men? I think.... no.

I believe Portugal will defeat Belgium. :)
  • Like 3

We`re all in agreement that the Dutch will overcome the Czech Republic? I think set pieces could easily trouble the Netherlands, but they should have enough. As for the thorny issue of Belgium and Portugal, there`s no doubt Belgium can be thrilling, and Portugal are creaking - I think the noise is Pepe`s knees - but there are lots of matches where they`re clearly inferior then CR scores a penalty. It`s going to be a little bit Beauty vs Beast, which I like the idea of because of how offended Ronaldo would be. Can Portugal squeeze one more win from their old men? I think.... no.

I believe Portugal will defeat Belgium. :)

For me I think both the Netherlands and Belgium will prevail. I completely missed the Italy match (too many beers earlier in the day!!) but it sounds like it was a good game.

I thought Wales were disappointing - never got into the game at all. Fair play Denmark.

• Like 1

As for Portugal, the question is how will they stop Lukaku?

In the Italy game I was surprised that Chiesa, Pessina and Belotti came in that late. Seemed like a little bit of gamble to save these substitutes 'till the end, but it finally payed off. I was hoping to see Pessina in the starting eleven, but Italy has a lot to choose from.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 2

Today's locked-in choices: Holland over the Czechs, and Belgium over Poutugal.

I've had my magic eight-ball on the job.

I understood from yesterday's game commentary that Wales had a lucky sheep -- I'm struggling to find the right Welshmen/lucky sheep joke for a family forum, but I'll think of something . . .

Nova Carmina, I'm looking forward to that joke... :D

I have two bars of milk chocolate. Not from Belgium, but it might still do the trick to help their team win Portugal.

• Like 1

Is the curse over when aided by a red card? :unsure:

No! It just gets stronger :fury: You`ll have to stand in the tea chest. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

I napped through the second half of the Holland game. Or should I say, the Czech game. A set-piece for the first goal, you say? I called it, read back a few posts, and ignore the rest of the sentence :16ton:

Lukaku vs Pepe. Ronaldo vs Vermaelen and Alderweireld. My, there`s some experience there, especially in those defenders if we`re going to look at their combined age in a positive way. Lukaku is the only player who couldn`t have played Euro 2004 (unless he was a precocious 11 year old).

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Is the curse over when aided by a red card? :unsure:

No! It just gets stronger :fury: You`ll have to stand in the tea chest.

Fortunately Belgium saved me from all that, even though they also played a man down. :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Denmark, Belgium, AND the Czech Republic advance? That 3-way bet would have paid handsomely, I'm sure.

I thought the Czechs had no chance! A surprise result.
  • Like 1

It`s never great to see a goalkeeper with such an outstanding name become an international comedy figure :rage:

But on the other hand, I really don`t like Spain :laughing guy:

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

It`s never great to see a goalkeeper with such an outstanding name become an international comedy figure :rage:

But on the other hand, I really don`t like Spain :laughing guy:

You can stop laughing now. :P And how about that hand ball in the box just a minute before Simon's misfortune?
  • Like 1