$40 Million

Dweezil

Hey, I'm not greedy, I'll take $10,000 and be happy smile.gif

The draw is $14 Million smackers tonight fellow Canadians!!

If you win what are you gonna do with it?

'You can't go crazy': winning the big lotto has hazards

Winning the big lotto jackpot requires a certain amount of balance and common sense in order to avoid 'sudden wealth syndrome.'

TORONTO (CP) - Canadians were again descending on convenience store counters and lottery kiosks Tuesday in hopes of scoring at least a chunk of a record-setting $40-million jackpot in Wednesday's Lotto 6/49 draw.

"I just want to win - or try to win," said 49-year-old Diane Arseneault, a Montreal resident who works at the Quebec Auto Insurance Board. Arseneault admitted she has no idea what she would do with the money, "but I know I would have less headaches."

It's true that a mere portion of Canada's largest-ever lottery jackpot would likely set most people up for life. But experts are warning the would-be wealthy to heed cautionary tales from those who have won big, only to end up broke, or worse.

"They think the money is going to be the cure-all, the save-all, the solution to all their problems," said Dr. Mark Berber, a Toronto psychiatrist. "Suddenly they see it's not."

Gerald Muswagon, 42, from Winnipeg, hanged himself earlier this month - seven years after he collected a Super 7 jackpot worth $10 million.

Muswagon's spending habits became the stuff of local legend and he blew his entire fortune by making what his cousin called "some very bad decisions."

Then there's the acrimonious feud that erupted among a group of workers at an A&W restaurant in Mission, B.C., after they won $14-million in August with a 6/49 ticket that has become the centre of a protracted court battle.

Stories like that are common, and they astound Ted Hreljac, 44, of Sudbury, Ont., a former garbage collector who three months ago won a $13.64-million jackpot along with four of his co-workers.

"Sure, it's a dream," said Hreljac, who no longer collects trash.

"We used to live in a small rented house and now we live in a large house that we paid cash for. (But) you've got to have a plan. You can't just go crazy and blow it all. You've still got to shop for bargains."

Elizabeth Wilson, 69, of New Waterford, N.S., said she has no plans to move anywhere despite having picked up a 6/49 cheque for a $7.3 million two weeks ago.

"I just feel the same as I did before," said Wilson.

She's already given most of the money to her four children, nine grandchildren and five brothers, she said.

"I didn't need it all," said Wilson. "So I made a lot of people happy. That's the name of the game."

Wednesday's huge prize is the culmination of a series of escalating "bonus" draws, said Don Pister, spokesman for the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp.

"They're good for building the business," Pister said.

By early afternoon, more than seven million tickets had been sold in Ontario alone.

Lottery officials said they expected sales to rival those for Saturday's record $30-million record prize, for which Canadians bought 27 million tickets worth $54.4 million.

Because no one guessed all six numbers correctly, Wednesday's prize could actually go beyond $40 million, depending on final ticket sales. Even a past winner like Hreljac can't restrain himself.

"Can't miss out on that: $40 million, jeez," said Hreljac, who normally no longer buys tickets. "You never know. Lightning might strike twice. I've heard of that before."

Still more ticket buyers Tuesday were using what could well be the biggest lottery payoff in Canadian history to forget about the past month's grim parade of headlines about hurricanes, terrorism and the threat of a possible pandemic.

"It's one of those positive things to look at in the paper rather than reading sad stuff all the time," said Mark Gomez as he shopped in a Vancouver mall.

"It would be a good way to help people in those countries hit by earthquakes and storms if I were to win," said Gomez's sister, Trish.

For Arseneault, lottery tickets offer a glimmer of optimism in what's increasingly a pretty depressing world.

"Friday nights, when you're having a glass of wine and everybody is a little bit tipsy and saying, 'What would you do if you'd win,' everybody puts everything out on the table," she said.

"At the base, it's just a dream. We know we have a minimum chance but the minimum chance, with what's (going on) in the world, it's hope."

In Regina, Lillian Eberle - a regular lottery hopeful - wasn't getting carried away by the giant jackpot. She played her usual single line of numbers regardless of the potential payoff, which she said is simply "too much" for one person to win.

"I'd make sure my kids are looked after," Eberle said.

That's a good idea, experts say.

Family, a healthy balance in one's life and sensible philanthropy are among the best ways to avoid the pitfalls of "sudden wealth syndrome," said Berber, who lectures at the University of Toronto.

"It there are problems pre-existing, they may become worse psychologically speaking when there's a windfall."

I'll pay off some debts and put some into trust for the boys, give to some friends who need it, and prolly open a store with Huck.

Oh, and hire some leg breakers wink.gif

Chances are slim that I'd win though, I'm just not lucky that way. But tonight I can pretend biggrin.gif

If I was to actually win that money, I'd do a bunch of different things.

-First of all, I'd only allow myself access to $10 million now, and put the rest in to a savings account.

-I'd pay off all my schooling.

-Pay for my brothers when he starts.

-Take a nice vacation for me and 2 friends back to Italy (we went in 2003 with the school)

-Buy my dad a cottage, something he could spend time fixing up (his passion) up on of the lakes north of the city.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 26 2005, 07:28 PM)
I believe this Friday's Mega Millions drawing here in NY is worth $147 million. I plan on winning it. 1022.gif

EDIT: Topic title fixed.

You used up all our luck on the image capton thread....sorry, dude.

the power ball lotto was up to $340 million jackpot last Wednesday.

only 1 winner wacko.gif i think it was a chik from Oregon.Can u EVEN imagine!!! ohmy.gif

Id pay off ALL my bills along with my families bills. Buy New Truck,Build my Dream home in 2 locations laugh.gif , go off for like 6 months ALONE and get a make over...hope 6 months would be nuff to make me over unsure.gif laugh.gif

Then invest the rest so i can live happy and not worry (too much)

oh and throw as big Ass Party!!!! trink39.gif

If I would have won the Powerball, I would've built my mom her dream house on a secluded lot deep in the woods; bought a two way ticket to Romania and brought my girlfriend back with me; built a custom made drum kit; and put the rest into savings...

Oh, and held a party just for TRF with all expenses paid for (including travel and hotel rooms)

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 26 2005, 09:07 PM)
If I would have won the Powerball, I would've built my mom her dream house on a secluded lot deep in the woods; bought a two way ticket to Romania and brought my girlfriend back with me; built a custom made drum kit; and put the rest into savings...

Oh, and held a party just for TRF with all expenses paid for (including travel and hotel rooms)

653.gif buy us all tickets to every show on the next tour, too, k? trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 26 2005, 08:28 PM)
I believe this Friday's Mega Millions drawing here in NY is worth $147 million. I plan on winning it. 1022.gif

Your plan will fail.. because I will win it! (Illinois is part of the Mega-Millions game, also).

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Oct 27 2005, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 26 2005, 08:28 PM)
I believe this Friday's Mega Millions drawing here in NY is worth $147 million. I plan on winning it.  1022.gif

Your plan will fail.. because I will win it! (Illinois is part of the Mega-Millions game, also).

I'll bet neither of you win it tongue.gif

Archived