POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

Texas King

POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

• Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
    • Prince - Purple Rain

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

Really? That surprises me.

Why does it surprise you?

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

Seems weird for a guy of your tastes

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix? His songs do nothing for me. I don't dislike what I have heard, I'm just indifferent to it. Revolutionary player but there have been many better players to come after him.

Black Sabbath is heavily influenced by JH. There have been many better players to come after him, but you have to admit Toni Iommi is not one of them.

What? A very good case that Iommi is a better player than Hendrix was can be made pretty easily.

the case may be easy to make but very hard to defend. its a tough fight, jimi brought alot to the game.

i usually hear chuck berry, hendrix, van halen as the old school game changers,

anyways, make the case and then make a poll. we will see where that goes.

I personally don't think there's any question that Edward Van Halen is better than Hendrix.

Yep, he is definitely better technically. But when it comes to impact in the world of rock guitar Jimi is greater than him or generally the greatest of all players.

Why do you keep bringing up impact? That's not what we're talking about. It's who we think the better player is. If I think guitar player A is better than guitar player B, even if player B had a bigger impact, that still doesn't change the fact I like player A better.

• Like 2

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix? His songs do nothing for me. I don't dislike what I have heard, I'm just indifferent to it. Revolutionary player but there have been many better players to come after him.

Black Sabbath is heavily influenced by JH. There have been many better players to come after him, but you have to admit Toni Iommi is not one of them.

What? A very good case that Iommi is a better player than Hendrix was can be made pretty easily.

the case may be easy to make but very hard to defend. its a tough fight, jimi brought alot to the game.

I personally don't think there's any question that Edward Van Halen is better than Hendrix.

Yep, he is definitely better technically. But when it comes to impact in the world of rock guitar Jimi is greater than him or generally the greatest of all players.

Really? 80s rock is largely comprised of Van Halen clones. That's not to take anything away from Hendrix's greatness. But Van Halen was IMO far more influential.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

Why do you keep bringing up impact? That's not what we're talking about. It's who we think the better player is. If I think guitar player A is better than guitar player B, even if player B had a bigger impact, that still doesn't change the fact I like player A better.

Right. One of my favorite guitarists of all time is Adrian Vandenberg, based on his work in his eponymous band. But in the general population of music fans, I doubt more than 1% would recognize his name, and certainly not outside Slip of the Tongue.

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

So, since I'm a metal fan I should automatically like Hendrix?

That's not what I said.

Correct, I completely read that the wrong way. My apologies.

:cheers:

Hey...How about Voodoo Chile?

Really? 80s rock is largely comprised of Van Halen clones. That's not to take anything away from Hendrix's greatness. But Van Halen was IMO far more influential.

Well Van Halen is always looked at being freeze-framed musically and culturally in the late 70's to the early 80's.

Whereas Hendrix is revered musically and culturally many decades later.

I don't hear many up-and-coming guitar players revere Eddie Van Halen in the same manner as Jimi Hendrix these days though. I could be wrong.

Well Van Halen is always looked at being freeze-framed musically and culturally in the late 70's to the early 80's.

Whereas Hendrix is revered musically and culturally many decades later.

I don't hear many up-and-coming guitar players revere Eddie Van Halen in the same manner as Jimi Hendrix these days though. I could be wrong.

I can't recall the last time I heard any up and coming guitarist talk about their influences, so I have no way of knowing who they cite. I do know that EVH changed the role of the guitar in rock. I love Hendrix's music, but there's nothing on any of his albums that even approaches what Eruption is. It's like comparing an NFL running back from 1950 to one from today.

• Like 2

Mick

Same.

The most influential architect of the Renaissance was probably an Italian named Leon Battista Alberti. He reinvigorated a lost way of building and showed the way out of the middle ages and the gothic. However, I don't think I know a soul who would place him above Bramante or Michelangelo, two architects who owe an incredible debt to Alberti's groundwork, but took that influence and designed far more beautiful and well-remembered buildings. The point is you can be super influential and still not be better than the guys who come after you, no matter how much debt they owe to you.

• Like 1

Hendrix is better than Iommi in every manner. In 3 albums Jimi created a huge amount of great "riffs". Stop confusing your favorite with better.

exactly. it can be hard to overcome the fanboi within.

i have been guilty of this before. back in the 80s...... of course i was the alex fanboi battling the EVH fanbois.

Hendrix is better than Iommi in every manner. In 3 albums Jimi created a huge amount of great "riffs". Stop confusing your favorite with better.

While EVH is technically brilliant and I really like his playing, he struck me as sort of a one-trick pony.

He actually isn't better than Iommi in any manner. He certainly wasn't more technically proficient, which given Iommi's handicap is even more incredible. By Master of Reality, so 3 albums, Iommi had created more riffs that are instantly recognizable than Hendrix. Sabbath's Ozzy era albums always had an elegant acoustic piece on them. I don't recall anything like that from Hendrix.

People who say Hendrix was better than EVH sound a little like people saying Whizzer White was a better a running back than Barry Sanders or Jerry West was a better basketball player than Michael Jordan.

Hendrix was great. I love his music. But there's nothing he ever did that made me say, "How the f*ck did he do that?" the way Eruption, Spanish Fly, or the intro to Mean Street did.

• Like 1

i have been guilty of this before. back in the 80s...... of course i was the alex fanboi battling the EVH fanbois.

You're a "fanboi" if you say you prefer one guitarist over another? In what universe?

• Like 2

While EVH is technically brilliant and I really like his playing, he struck me as sort of a one-trick pony.

He actually isn't better than Iommi in any manner. He certainly wasn't more technically proficient, which given Iommi's handicap is even more incredible. By Master of Reality, so 3 albums, Iommi had created more riffs that are instantly recognizable than Hendrix. Sabbath's Ozzy era albums always had an elegant acoustic piece on them. I don't recall anything like that from Hendrix.

People who say Hendrix was better than EVH sound a little like people saying Whizzer White was a better a running back than Barry Sanders or Jerry West was a better basketball player than Michael Jordan.

Hendrix was great. I love his music. But there's nothing he ever did that made me say, "How the f*ck did he do that?" the way Eruption, Spanish Fly, or the intro to Mean Street did.

You really dont think when Hendrix came onto the scene people weren't blown away by what he did? I think it was Clapton who saw Hendrix play and said he might as well quit playing. Hendrix did exactly what EVH did 15 years earlier in astounding the masses. Edited by Mithrandir

You really dont think when Hendrix came onto the scene people weren't blown away by what he did? I think it was Clapton who saw Hendrix play and said he might as well quit playing. Hendrix did exactly what EVH did 15 years earlier in astounding the masses.

I'm certain he did. But that's sort of my point. Jerry West was unbelievable in his day. But the world moved forward from his era. Take Jordan as he was in the 80s and 90s and plunk him down in the 60s and people wouldn't believe what they were seeing. This movie scene is funny because it illustrates exactly what we're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

• Like 1

You really dont think when Hendrix came onto the scene people weren't blown away by what he did? I think it was Clapton who saw Hendrix play and said he might as well quit playing. Hendrix did exactly what EVH did 15 years earlier in astounding the masses.

I'm certain he did. But that's sort of my point. Jerry West was unbelievable in his day. But the world moved forward from his era. Take Jordan as he was in the 80s and 90s and plunk him down in the 60s and people wouldn't believe what they were seeing. This movie scene is funny because it illustrates exactly what we're talking about:

So by your logic, today's guitarists blow EVH away?

And I love Jordan as much as anyone. But Lebron and others in today's game would take Jordan to town. People cant admit that though

Edited by Mithrandir

And I love Jordan as much as anyone. But Lebron and others in today's game would take Jordan to town. People cant admit that though

No, because I think the change slowed. It's a little like comparing flying in an airplane from 1930 to 1975 and then 1975 to now. I'm not as up on new guitarists, though. Maybe there's someone out there that people say, "how did he do that?"

Listen to Dancing with the Moonlit Knight by Genesis. Hackett was tapping well before EVH.

Dont think that I dont consider EVH one of the greatest, but...

Tapping isn't really the only thing that EVH did that blows me away personally. Listen to his run at the start of "Dirty Movies," or the outro to One Foot Out the Door. Or his rhythm work. He just made the guitar do things that no one else had before, IMO.

• Like 2

Listen to Dancing with the Moonlit Knight by Genesis. Hackett was tapping well before EVH.

Dont think that I dont consider EVH one of the greatest, but...

Tapping isn't really the only thing that EVH did that blows me away personally. Listen to his run at the start of "Dirty Movies," or the outro to One Foot Out the Door. Or his rhythm work. He just made the guitar do things that no one else had before, IMO.

This. Also, EVH didn’t invent tapping, but he may as well have with the way he used it.

• Like 1

You're a "fanboi" if you say you prefer one guitarist over another? In what universe?

third stone from the sun?

the only person i am calling a fanboi is me. quite honestly i still am. probably rate rush higher then they deserve.

fanboi is when your list of favorite players match your idea of best players....... And how vigorously you defend them?

No, because I think the change slowed. It's a little like comparing flying in an airplane from 1930 to 1975 and then 1975 to now. I'm not as up on new guitarists, though. Maybe there's someone out there that people say, "how did he do that?"

After EVH, the next genius was steve vai. imo

After that imo, its Tosin Abasi of animals as leaders

That said, if you want to say "how did he do that?" its buckethead for me. he has a relationship with a guitar unlike anyone else....

the only person i am calling a fanboi is me. quite honestly i still am. probably rate rush higher then they deserve.

fanboi is when your list of favorite players match your idea of best players....... And how vigorously you defend them?

We might define the term differently. In my mind, a fanboi says, “I can’t rate Rush’s albums in order, they’re all exactly the same quality.” If Angus Young’s work moves you more than anyone else’s, how is favorite different from best? I can’t think of how something subjective like appreciation of art can have a best that isn’t favorite for each individual.

• Like 2

We might define the term differently. In my mind, a fanboi says, “I can’t rate Rush’s albums in order, they’re all exactly the same quality.” If Angus Young’s work moves you more than anyone else’s, how is favorite different from best? I can’t think of how something subjective like appreciation of art can have a best that isn’t favorite for each individual.

fair enough

my list of favorites is vastly different than my idea of best.

hendrix for me is either #1 or #2 as the best, however he is not in the top ten of my favorites

• Like 1

fair enough

my list of favorites is vastly different than my idea of best.

hendrix for me is either #1 or #2 as the best, however he is not in the top ten of my favorites

I think you mentioned Vai. He and Malmsteen illustrate how I look at it. They have great dexterity and skill. I can’t stand either of them because their work IMO is bloodless. Malmsteen in particular. I wouldn’t rank them anywhere near best because they do nothing for me personally.