Who do you think is the greatest guitarist, and why?

Lorraine

So I spoke with the guitar-playing audiophile music-freak down the hall from me and asked him. After the usual protests about the question being too broad, he said that if forced to name one person he'd say Jeff Beck. So along with my guitarist brother, Jeff Beck has (at least) two votes to my and the other EVH votes.

My Mount Rushmore:

David Gilmour

Alex Lifeson

Johnny Marr

Jonny Greenwood

Jonny can kind of seem like just a cog in the well-oiled Radiohead machine, but at he got a good plug from Alex at least: "I've admired him for a long time. The way he weaves his parts through the melody of a song is really exceptional – just amazing."

• Like 1

^^ He looks great now, thankfully. There was a time a few years ago where he was looking like the crazy cat lady of rock; he made Keith Richards look like a poster boy for antioxidant vitamins.
  • Like 2

^^ He looks great now, thankfully. There was a time a few years ago where he was looking like the crazy cat lady of rock; he made Keith Richards look like a poster boy for antioxidant vitamins.

To me, I think he looks a lot older than he should for his age. His years of abuse caught up with him. I always thought he was a lot younger than me (probably because Valerie Bertinelli is quite a few years younger), but I found out he is only a year younger having been born in 1955. He looks like he's had a rough life.

That was funny about Keith. I have no idea how he managed to survive his life, but he has.

Eddie has come a long way from this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.timetoast.com/public/uploads/photos/7555061/eddie-van-halen-2.jpg?1478042821

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

buckethead

pat metheny

SRV

Allan Holdsworth

Musicianship of each of these guys, in their own genres, rises above the usual lists

...and because i dare to defy the alter of EVH.

If I had a fifth Rushmore head it would be Jeff Beck.

If I had to make a guitar Mt. Rushmore....

Alex Lifeson

Brian May

David Gilmore

John Petrucci

honorable mentions to Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Matt Bellamy, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, EVH, Glenn Tipton, Marty Friedman, and Dave Mustaine.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

:popcorn:

This should have been a poll.

So many amazing six string slingers.

EDDIE VAN HALEN IS IT!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimi Hendrix

Iommi

Michael Schenker

Randy Rhoads

Wolf Hoffman

Steven Rothery

Alan Holdsworth

Buckethead

Ritchie Blackmore

Angus Young

Tommy Bolin

Steve Morse

Al Di Meola

John McLaughlin

Warren DeMartini

George Lynch

Ronnie Montrose

Dave Meniketti

Adrian Vandenberg

ACE

Ronni Le Tekrø

Brad Gillis

Vito Brata

Andrew Latimer

Uli Roth

David Gimour

Steve Hackett

Frank Zappa

Steve Marriott

Jake E. Lee

Kim Mitchell

Rik Emmitt

Steve Stevens

Steve Lukather

Steve Vai

Satch

Chris DeGarmo

Zakk

Nuno

Billy Gibbons

Billy Duffy

Buck Dharma

John Norum

Richie Faulkner

KK

Tipton

Adrian Smith

Murray

Pete Townshend

Tommy Thayer

John Sykes

John Norum

Matin Barre

Richie Kotzen

C.C. DeVille

Eric Johnson

Mick Mars

Earl Slick

Larry Carlton

Wes Montgomery

Yngvie Malmsteen

Tommy Shaw

Richie Sambora

Andy Summers

John Spinks The Outfield

Andy Timmons DANGER DANGER Duh Pat. I met Andy. Great guy. Loved that I knew his first band.

Satchel from STEEL PANTHER you BITCHES! LOL!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

Even though there are, and have been some people, who have picked Edward Van Halen as the greatest guitar player, the thread shouldn't, and doesn't need to get locked, and closed because of it. I'm sure there are some more, and other people around, who would pick other guitarists as the greatest. If the certain person, who posted something like that didn't think of this, and hasn't done it, he should start worrying, focusing, and concentrating on his son, and not what other people have said on a public forum. Earl, having the voter's option wouldn't make a difference because it wouldn't be accurate, they can change their minds, and not all people, whom come on this website would vote.

EDDIE VAN HALEN IS IT!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimi Hendrix

Iommi

Michael Schenker

Randy Rhoads

Wolf Hoffman

Steven Rothery

Alan Holdsworth

Buckethead

Ritchie Blackmore

Angus Young

Tommy Bolin

Steve Morse

Al Di Meola

John McLaughlin

Warren DeMartini

George Lynch

Ronnie Montrose

Dave Meniketti

Adrian Vandenberg

ACE

Ronni Le Tekrø

Brad Gillis

Vito Brata

Andrew Latimer

Uli Roth

David Gimour

Steve Hackett

Frank Zappa

Steve Marriott

Jake E. Lee

Kim Mitchell

Rik Emmitt

Steve Stevens

Steve Lukather

Steve Vai

Satch

Chris DeGarmo

Zakk

Nuno

Billy Gibbons

Billy Duffy

Buck Dharma

John Norum

Richie Faulkner

KK

Tipton

Adrian Smith

Murray

Pete Townshend

Tommy Thayer

John Sykes

John Norum

Matin Barre

Richie Kotzen

C.C. DeVille

Eric Johnson

Mick Mars

Earl Slick

Larry Carlton

Wes Montgomery

Yngvie Malmsteen

Tommy Shaw

Richie Sambora

Andy Summers

John Spinks The Outfield

Andy Timmons DANGER DANGER Duh Pat. I met Andy. Great guy. Loved that I knew his first band.

Earl, I was going to make it a poll, but I had no idea who to pick for options, other than a few obvious guitar players, to make it a good poll.

I'm surprised you consider Richie Sambora a good guitar player. No one ever really mentions him.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Even though some people picked Edward Van Halen as the greatest guitar player, there's no need to lock the thread. I'm sure there are people who haven't chimed in yet and they may have other guitarists in mind. Gibberish gibberish his son gibberish gibbersh. Earl, I totally missed the humor of your post about making this a poll. I sometimes treat seriously stuff that was meant to be light-hearted.

fixed

• Like 3

EDDIE VAN HALEN IS IT!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimi Hendrix

Iommi

Michael Schenker

Randy Rhoads

Wolf Hoffman

Steven Rothery

Alan Holdsworth

Buckethead

Ritchie Blackmore

Angus Young

Tommy Bolin

Steve Morse

Al Di Meola

John McLaughlin

Warren DeMartini

George Lynch

Ronnie Montrose

Dave Meniketti

Adrian Vandenberg

ACE

Ronni Le Tekrø

Brad Gillis

Vito Brata

Andrew Latimer

Uli Roth

David Gimour

Steve Hackett

Frank Zappa

Steve Marriott

Jake E. Lee

Kim Mitchell

Rik Emmitt

Steve Stevens

Steve Lukather

Steve Vai

Satch

Chris DeGarmo

Zakk

Nuno

Billy Gibbons

Billy Duffy

Buck Dharma

John Norum

Richie Faulkner

KK

Tipton

Adrian Smith

Murray

Pete Townshend

Tommy Thayer

John Sykes

John Norum

Matin Barre

Richie Kotzen

C.C. DeVille

Eric Johnson

Mick Mars

Earl Slick

Larry Carlton

Wes Montgomery

Yngvie Malmsteen

Tommy Shaw

Richie Sambora

Andy Summers

John Spinks The Outfield

Earl, I was going to make it a poll, but I had no idea who to pick for options, other than a few obvious guitar players, to make it a good poll.

I'm surprised you consider Richie Sambora a good guitar player. No one ever really mentions him.

Sambora is a good player. Very good, imo. But not great.

• Like 1

Jarg, I'm not going to "Edit", and don't need to "Edit" what I posted, anyone has scrolled up, and can scroll up to read, and go back to read previous pages, as it hasn't ever been hard to read anything. You've been another person, who doesn't seem to be wanting to take the time to do some things properly on a public, and community forum, and don't seem to care what some people have to say. Unless, it does agree, with your own opinion. I can start going around by doing somethings you've done, and did, too. Just keep on talking like that, especially on a public, and community forum, and let's see how much farther you will get on it. Maybe, you'll get lucky by having your posting privileges removed. I've been on other public, and community forums, and I make a difference. Even not on them, around the world, too. I've said this before, too. I've been in a lighten up mood. About me being too bossy, don't know me to say that. With learning English, anyone else having difficulty can try to learn it. Any guitarist doesn't have to be any type of good, and great. As long as they are guitarists, it hasn't made, and doesn't make any difference. Edited by Derek19

Even though there are, and have been some people, who have picked Edward Van Halen as the greatest guitar player, the thread shouldn't, and doesn't need to get locked, and closed because of it. I'm sure there are some more, and other people around, who would pick other guitarists as the greatest. If the certain person, who posted something like that didn't think of this, and hasn't done it, he should start worrying, focusing, and concentrating on his son, and not what other people have said on a public forum. Earl, having the voter's option wouldn't make a difference because it wouldn't be accurate, they can change their minds, and not all people, whom come on this website would vote.

You haven't, and can't, write a complete sentence in, or around, English. Futhermore, you do, and always, display a lack of a sense of humor, and amusement. You have been, and were, asked if English is your first language. You didn't, and haven't, answered that. What is the answer, and response?

• Like 2

If the certain person, who posted something like that didn't think of this, and hasn't done it, he should start worrying, focusing, and concentrating on his son, and not what other people have said on a public forum. .

I'm going to also have to insist you explain what you mean here.

You haven't, and can't, write a complete sentence in, or around, English. Futhermore, you do, and always, display a lack of a sense of humor, and amusement. You have been, and were, asked if English is your first language. You didn't, and haven't, answered that. What is the answer, and response?

He needs to lighten up and stop being so bossy. This is a Rush fan forum, not the Aristotle Lyceum For Philosophers and Scholars

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Jarg, I'm not going to "Edit", and don't need to "Edit" what I posted, can scroll up to read as it hasn't ever been hard to read anything. You've been another person, who doesn't seem to wanting to take the time to do some things properly on a public forum

You're forgetting I'm the arbiter of what is and isn't proper on a public forum. I have, and am willing to show you, and any others who are curious, and would like to see, but haven't though to ask it yet therefore have, so far, remained silent, a laminated card to prove it.

, and don't seem to care what some people have to say, unless, it does agree, with your own opinion.

I don't even care then!

I can start going around by doing somethings you've done, and did, too. Just keep on talking like that, especially on a public forum, and let's see how much farther you will get on it. Maybe, you'll get your posting privileges removed.

My post count:22093

(Your post count:1054)

I think I'm safe by now.

• Like 1

If the certain person, who posted something like that didn't think of this, and hasn't done it, he should start worrying, focusing, and concentrating on his son, and not what other people have said on a public forum. .

Whoa Sally!!! Insist????? :o

Edited by Lorraine

Yeah, I think if you tell someone to concentrate on their son, you need to have a good explanation for that.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think if you tell someone to concentrate on their son, you need to have a good explanation for that.

It was certainly a dick thing to say.

• Like 2

It was certainly a dick thing to say.

Creepy, really.