Desert island picks - Iron Maiden

My top five would almost certainly be Dickinson’s first three (Beast, Piece, Powerslave) and then two from the modern era to scratch that itch, A Matter Of Life And Death and The Final Frontier. Those aren’t necessarily my five favorite albums of theirs, but it would satisfy the most cravings. If granted a bonus platter it would be Killers.

I used a very similar rationale for my choices.

The Final Frontier is easily my fave modern Maiden album. But that may change.

it's my LEAST fav modern one. it's got some good stuff but it drags ass so much for me.

the band doesn't even sound that into it.

7/10 for me

it's my LEAST fav modern one. it's got some good stuff but it drags ass so much for me.

7/10 for me

It came out when I was really into proggier, heavier metal. Like Opeth or early Mastodon, Neurosis, Meshuggah...it fit right in without really sounding like any of them at all. I think it's divisive but I loved it. It's hard to say for definite if it's still my favourite, I will revisit all the albums before the end of the year, and I remember for the longest time thinking modern Maiden was the best Maiden. But since the eighties albums sent me straight to heaven, I may feel differently now.

Fun fact: before this year the only Maiden album I owned was AMOLAD. Why? Not sure...

• Like 1

7/10 for me

It came out when I was really into proggier, heavier metal. Like Opeth or early Mastodon, Neurosis, Meshuggah...it fit right in without really sounding like any of them at all. I think it's divisive but I loved it. It's hard to say for definite if it's still my favourite, I will revisit all the albums before the end of the year, and I remember for the longest time thinking modern Maiden was the best Maiden. But since the eighties albums sent me straight to heaven, I may feel differently now.

Fun fact: before this year the only Maiden album I owned was AMOLAD. Why? Not sure...

AMOLAD is not a bad start.

it's number six in my top 10. i love it. there are times when i feel the reunion stuff is on par with the classics. if only they'd showed SOME restraint, they're just too much of everything, lol

Mick

Some of you fellas don’t see Beast as one of their 5 best albums? C’mon man.

When the chorus to The Prisoner gets stuck in their head one day they'll realize the mistake they've made.

It'll be too late. They'll be on a deserted island stuck with Virtual XI instead.

You're being a bit dickish...they have more than five classic albums, it's not hard to believe someone could make a list that includes any of the first eight albums and not include, say, at least three of them.

Sigh. More of this sh*t from you Segue? Is there a point where you won't whine about a poster disagreeing with another's opinion? You wouldn't have the balls to call me a dick to my face, if you have the integrity to be honest about it. Why do it here?

When the chorus to The Prisoner gets stuck in their head one day they'll realize the mistake they've made.

Haha I wonder who you are referring too

And honestly? So true. The Prisoner is without a doubt one of the best unsung Maiden classics ever. I think it's better than even the stunning title track!

I have no issues saying Run To The Hills is my favourite, both for nostalgia and Sony because it's one of the catchiest songs ever.

I wasn't referring to any one individual with that comment. Just making a general one. The chorus to The Prisoner is much catchier than RTTH. In fact that chorus is at the top of the list for Maiden's catchiest one along with Wasted Years.

I saw them twice on their 2012 tour where they played The Prisoner. At both shows there wasn't a single person not singing that chorus at the top of their lungs. I've never considered it an unsung tune among the fans and their reaction at these shows certainly proves it's not.

Maiden can do anything off the first seven albums live and the crowd will eat it up. There aren't many casual know nothings going to see them. Their fanbase is huge and dedicated. They're very receptive to the newer stuff too. But anything from the 80s they'll go insane for.

• Like 1

And honestly? So true. The Prisoner is without a doubt one of the best unsung Maiden classics ever. I think it's better than even the stunning title track!

I have no issues saying Run To The Hills is my favourite, both for nostalgia and Sony because it's one of the catchiest songs ever.

I wasn't referring to any one individual with that comment. Just making a general one. The chorus to The Prisoner is much catchier than RTTH. In fact that chorus is at the top of the list for Maiden's catchiest one along with Wasted Years.

I saw them twice on their 2012 tour where they played The Prisoner. At both shows there wasn't a single person not singing that chorus at the top of their lungs. I've never considered it an unsung tune among the fans and their reaction at these shows certainly proves it's not.

Maiden can do anything off the first seven albums live and the crowd will eat it up. There aren't many casual know nothings going to see them. Their fanbase is huge and dedicated. They're very receptive to the newer stuff too. But anything from the 80s they'll go insane for.

i think Prisoner and wasted years are 2 of the most pop/rock catchy songs they have.

throw in Can I Play with Madness in there too.

Mick

• Like 1

i think Prisoner and wasted years are 2 of the most pop/rock catchy songs they have.

Mick

Bruce and Adrian have this amazing ability to write these extremely catchy and melodic choruses.

• Like 1

Mick

Bruce and Adrian have this amazing ability to write these extremely catchy and melodic choruses.

Yea. Can i play With Madness i think i knew the chorus on my first go round of my first listen, lol. that's great writing.

Mick

It'll be too late. They'll be on a deserted island stuck with Virtual XI instead.

You're being a bit dickish...they have more than five classic albums, it's not hard to believe someone could make a list that includes any of the first eight albums and not include, say, at least three of them.

Sigh. More of this sh*t from you Segue? Is there a point where you won't whine about a poster disagreeing with another's opinion? You wouldn't have the balls to call me a dick to my face, if you have the integrity to be honest about it. Why do it here?

And once again I type something and it gets lost in translation.

I had attempted to put humour in their but...nope I see why you just reacted as you did.

My humour gets lost in text sorry

Mick

Yea. Can i play With Madness i think i knew the chorus on my first go round of my first listen, lol. that's great writing.

Mick

Even a chorus as lyrical lame as the one for Hooks In You is catchy as can be because Bruce and Adrian wrote it.

• Like 1

:LOL:

Looks like playoff hockey intensity is spilling over!

I DIDN'T MEAN IT TO SOUND LIKE THAT!

not that I care, he can be terse as well lol

So we reach agreement on some level then.

So we reach agreement on some level then.

I am sorry I got on your tits.

Wasn't intentional. At all.