Voivod!!!

I can't believe we didn't have a topic for Voivod yet, so here it is. winners of the 2019 Juno Awards for best metal performance. Seeing them live was a lifelong dream of mine - they only played in Brazil ONCE, and I couldn't go, so I swore I'd see them in Toronto at the first chance I had. Last night they played at the Phoenix Concert Theater with Amenra and Yob, and they kicked ass!!! I got to meet the band in a meet and greet at a vynil store in the afternoon too. Pictures below. Who else is a fan?20190330-224512.jpg20190330-224226.jpg20190330-171840.jpg
  • Like 3

I can't believe we didn't have a topic for Voivod yet, so here it is. winners of the 2019 Juno Awards for best metal performance. Seeing them live was a lifelong dream of mine - they only played in Brazil ONCE, and I couldn't go, so I swore I'd see them in Toronto at the first chance I had. Last night they played at the Phoenix Concert Theater with Amenra and Yob, and they kicked ass!!! I got to meet the band in a meet and greet at a vynil store in the afternoon too. Pictures below. Who else is a fan?20190330-224512.jpg20190330-224226.jpg20190330-171840.jpg

What's in the bag??

What's in the bag??

It was actually a used bag. I brought a copy of the newest album The Wake for them to sign!

• Like 1

Piggy was a sad loss to music....

He was indeed...but Dan does such an amazing job in Piggy's songs!!! And he brought his own style to the band now.

He does indeed...I wasn't disrespecting Dan, he's as good a replacement as they could have got.

• Like 1

What's in the bag??

It was actually a used bag. I brought a copy of the newest album The Wake for them to sign!

Where is that?

Saw them two times on the Outer Limits tour. Great live band back then.

Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits are all killer albums!!!

• Like 1

I absolutely hated Angel Rat when it came out...sounded way too polished for me. But I've warmed up to it, and apparently so did the band. They played The Prow from Angel Rat last night.

• Like 1

What's in the bag??

Where is that?

What do you mean? Where was the meet and greet, or where is the album?

What's in the bag??

Where is that?

What do you mean? Where was the meet and greet, or where is the album?

What place is that? Is it like Dead Dog Records, 245 Rush Fly By Night Boulevard, Toronto?

I absolutely hated Angel Rat when it came out...sounded way too polished for me. But I've warmed up to it, and apparently so did the band. They played The Prow from Angel Rat last night.

Great album! I loved that one instantly. Polished? I always thought it sounded great. Well, the vinyl version does though. Wasn't it produced by Broon? Took me way longer to appreciate Nothingface and the earlier stuff. I guess they were too weird for me in the eighties.

Extraordinary band in their heyday, sounded like no-one else on the planet.

Oh to have been at this gig, supporting Rush in Toronto in 1990. Astronomy Domine, one of the best rock covers ever...

• Like 2

Here's my review of the new live album: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/voivod-lost-machine-live/?fbclid=IwAR1sj8HAFbEF4Y7051RufphDsgPV_rLWMbenN7_suAZaVDzawnzc7OiirB4

I interviewed Snake last week, and will post the link here once it's published.

New song came out today!!!

http://youtu.be/uZnIhFzgsSo

Dig the music a lot, vocals are a bit bland but I get it. I hear the comparisons with bands like Gojira [realizing Voivoid pre-date Gojira]. Have to admit Voivoid have been slipping under my radar despite showing up on a lot of list with bands I enjoy.