The 2019 NFL Season Thread

Principled Man

Wait...you take a delay of game instead of giving it to Marshawn from the half yard line?

Carroll is an idiot.

They didn't take it on purpose, though. There was too much chaos to get a play called. That whole sequence was just bizarre.

Wait...you take a delay of game instead of giving it to Marshawn from the half yard line?

Carroll is an idiot.

They didn't take it on purpose, though. There was too much chaos to get a play called. That whole sequence was just bizarre.

Nonsense.

NFL fans rightly rip Pete Carroll for blowing game with an incredibly bad penalty

Pete Carroll did it again. The Seattle Seahawks coach made another huge mistake with his team having the ball on the 1 yard line late in the final seconds of a huge and once again it cost his team a win. The Seahawks got a first and goal from the 1 yard line [one-half yard line, actually] with 23 seconds left. Russell Wilson then spiked the ball to stop the clock and Marshawn Lynch ran on the field. We’ve seen this before, right?

Well, Carroll didn’t even have a chance to not hand it off to Lynch this time around as the Seahawks wasted so much time getting players in and out and trying to get settled that they were called for a delay of game penalty. The ball went back to the 6 yard line and then on 4th down they came six inches away from winning the game.

I mean, how in the world do you let something like that happen at such a key moment of such a big game? That’s bad coaching in the moment as well as before the moment when prep work should have had the offense ready for anything and everything. Totally unacceptable.

https://ftw.usatoday...of-game-penalty

And here's an article from last week's Cardinals game: Pete Carroll explains a pair of Seahawks bizarre game management snafus

The Seahawks never win comfortably, and when you have such minimal margin for error, all of these decisions become even more scrutinized.

Don't be surprised to see game mismanagement hurt the Seahawks once again when the playoffs roll around.

[Well, you didn't have to wait for the playoffs.]

https://sports.yahoo...LYZVRJuTANW8_CW

Here's one from 2018 vs the Rams: Pete Carroll stands by his clock management in Seahawks’ defeat to the Rams.

https://www.seattlet...nning-and-more/

Pete Carroll? LOL!

giphy.gif

Edited by goose

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion about Carroll, but in your earlier post, I thought you meant "they took" the delay of game penalty intentionally, as one might take such a penalty in an attempt to lure the other team offside or give the punter a better angle. I do not think it was deliberate, but happened because they did not have any time outs left and could not get the personnel/play call sorted. Yeah, that's bad coaching or clock management (same thing, I suppose).
  • Like 1

Sigh

Long day for the Pats. 16pt favorites at home and they lose...

I was ribbing my wife today about her Seahawks' similar loss to the Cards last week. Off to Bourbon Street* to watch Seattle play for redemption vs Frisco.

*a local Dave & Busters type sports bar

The defense was atrocious.

Very poor.

Sometimes you just get beat by a better team.

Very true. And sometimes the better team’s defense is atrocious and they lose.

The Patriots defense hasn't been a problem all year. Now all of a sudden they suck?

Well, they gave up 27 points to a horrible team, and they made a journeyman QB look like Tom Brady circa 2007, so they did yesterday.

• Like 1

Sigh

I was ribbing my wife today about her Seahawks' similar loss to the Cards last week. Off to Bourbon Street* to watch Seattle play for redemption vs Frisco.

Very poor.

The Patriots defense hasn't been a problem all year. Now all of a sudden they suck?

Well, they gave up 27 points to a horrible team, and they made a journeyman QB look like Tom Brady circa 2007, so they did yesterday.

Maybe if you ask nice, we could trade that journeyman quarterback to you to replace the one that looks like Tom Brady circa 2019 (if you throw in a first round pick, of course.)

Let's see...an unnecessary focus on long passes, coupled with poor management of the clock and timeouts. Where have I seen this before from Carroll.

Super Bowl XLIX flashback: How clock management doomed the Seahawks vs. Patriots

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/2/1/14465378/super-bowl-xlix-flashback-clock-management-failure-seattle-seahawks-new-england-patriots

And no...I WILL NOT JUST LET THIS GO!!!

:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse:

:LOL:

• Like 1

Sigh

Very poor.

Maybe if you ask nice, we could trade that journeyman quarterback to you to replace the one that looks like Tom Brady circa 2019 (if you throw in a first round pick, of course.)

No thanks. Unless you have someone better than him, and significantly younger, I'm good.

Stop me if you have seen this before. When he left the field late in the fourth quarter, his team was on top. All the defense had to do was keep the other team out of the end zone . . .

Sigh

Very poor.

No thanks. Unless you have someone better than him, and significantly younger, I'm good.

Stop me if you have seen this before. When he left the field late in the fourth quarter, his team was on top. All the defense had to do was keep the other team out of the end zone . . .

I'm guessing that considerably more of the game planning this week will involve hiding the weaknesses of the quarterback than regarding any weaknesses in the defensive side of the ball. At least it will be if the last four gameplans are any indication.

Sigh

Very poor.

I'm guessing that considerably more of the game planning this week will involve hiding the weaknesses of the quarterback than regarding any weaknesses in the defensive side of the ball. At least it will be if the last four gameplans are any indication.

I'm sure they understand that they're facing a real opponent this week, so I expect better play from the defense. No question they didn't take Miami seriously enough. It was a mistake, if an obviously understandable one.

I'm not trolling, since my #1 team isn't even in the playoffs, but do the last several weeks make you question the Patriots' defense? Their early schedule was easier, and they fell off later in the season. Miami Mark II may not have been an outlier?
  • Like 1

Sigh

Very poor.

I'm sure they understand that they're facing a real opponent this week, so I expect better play from the defense. No question they didn't take Miami seriously enough. It was a mistake, if an obviously understandable one.

That's pretty funny given that the last comments before kickoff were that several of the Patriots players told the color guy that Belichick knows emphasized they were in playoff mode. Your think that Brady might have mentioned that in 2015 a last game loss to the Dolphins cost them home field and made a trip to Denver necessary that might have made the difference between a Super Bowl trip.

Not as funny as if you'd have actually believes what you wrote above, but still mildly amusing.

I'm not trolling, since my #1 team isn't even in the playoffs, but do the last several weeks make you question the Patriots' defense? Their early schedule was easier, and they fell off later in the season. Miami Mark II may not have been an outlier?

A bit, but they are probably good enough to allow their glaring problem at QB not to cost them against the Titans.

Sigh

Very poor.

That's pretty funny given that the last comments before kickoff were that several of the Patriots players told the color guy that Belichick knows emphasized they were in playoff mode. Your think that Brady might have mentioned that in 2015 a last game loss to the Dolphins cost them home field and made a trip to Denver necessary that might have made the difference between a Super Bowl trip.

Not as funny as if you'd have actually believes what you wrote above, but still mildly amusing.

They clearly weren't in playoff mode. They let a horrible team hang 27 points on them. Including a late TD after (stop me if you've seen this before) Brady led the offense to a slightly less late score to take the lead.

Yes.

Worrying about the Patriots defense is like worrying about the level of musicianship of Toto band members. It's not the main problem.

Yes.

Worrying about the Patriots defense is like worrying about the level of musicianship of Toto band members. It's not the main problem.

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Tampa Bay ends the regular season 7-9 with a loss to the division rival Falcons. Terrible start at the beginning of season. Not to shabby the 2nd 1/2. Some interesting stats of our QB who's return is in question.

Got an NFL Record for being the 1st QB to throw more than 450 yards in 2 consecutive games.

Became one of only 8 QB's in NFL history that threw for over 5000 yards in a single season.

Became the 1st QB to throw for 33 TD's & 30 INT's in a single season. Thus becoming the founder of the "30-30 club.

Winston is nothing short of an enigma!

New Coach Bruce Ariens aka QB whisperer is being very cryptic regarding the return of #3. Is he in favor of the return of Winston or has realized a box of hammers hears no whispers! In a very positive note it looks like Tampa's defence will become (once again) a force to be reckoned with. Only time will tell.

Go Bucs :madra:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

Ravens Definitely Aren’t Cheating, But This Video Does Make You Wonder

by Dakota Randall on Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 5:21PM

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear: We are not accusing the Baltimore Ravens of cheating. There is absolutely zero evidence suggesting the Ravens are guilty of any wrongdoing. That said, there are some videos on the Ravens’ team website that might raise some eyebrows, particularly among New England Patriots fans. As you surely know by now, the Patriots are being investigated by the NFL for inappropriately videotaping the Cincinnati Bengals’ sideline last week in Cleveland — a violation the Patriots have admitted. The franchise claimed a “Do Your Job” film crew member acted out of ignorance rather than with nefarious intent, but the Patriots nonetheless are in some hot water. And, once again, a videotape containing footage of an opponent’s sideline is at the center of a controversy. That brings us to the Ravens and their “360 Replay” video series. The @Ravens have something on their site called 360 Replay. It contains a consistently suspicious angle on the opponent’s sidelines. This appears to be proprietary footage. How is this different? Turn over the tapes. pic.twitter.com/yGCqZIvSWk — WWII Felger (@WWIIFelger) December 16, 2019 First noted by Twitter user WWII Felger, the Ravens use the replays to offer dynamic views of the gameday experience at M&T Bank Stadium, including certain plays. Moreover, some of the replays offer views from behind the visiting team’s sideline, and the angles are comparable to what the Patriots’ film crew shot in Cleveland. (You can click here to watch the replay that’s caused some commotion on Twitter.) (And you can click here to view all of the “360 Replay” videos available on the Ravens’ website .) Now, it’s worth noting the Ravens haven’t uploaded a “360 Replay” to their website once this season. Instead, all of the new “360” content apparently lives exclusively on YouTube. However, a majority of the new “360” videos only highlight gameday production, atmosphere, fan experiences and behind-the-scenes looks at Ravens players. For the most part, views of opponents’ sidelines are nowhere to be found. Take a look: Is it possible the NFL informed the Ravens their old “360” videos technically violated league rules? Perhaps. Maybe the Ravens realized it on their own and decided to switch up the content strategy. Maybe their production team just found the content generally underwhelming. Regardless, there is no reason to believe the Ravens used the replays to gain a competitive edge. But that’s not the point. If the Patriots produced these videos, NFL players, fans and media alike would twist themselves into pretzels to concoct a new “Patriots are cheating” conspiracy theory. You surely would hear something along the lines of, “What if someone has access to a 360-degree replay of an entire game, including the other teams’ sidelines?” People would add it to the overflowing bucket of reasons to hate/question the NFL’s model franchise. But therein lies the harshest reality of all if you’re a New England fan. It’s the Patriots’ own faults that they are viewed and scrutinized the way they are around the NFL. When you do what they reportedly did for nearly a decade, you lose the benefit of the doubt. Would it be nice if the same microscope applied to things like the Ravens’ “360” replays? Sure, but the fact is there simply isn’t enough reason to be as skeptical of them or any of the NFL’s other 30 teams. And, like it or not, the Patriots have nobody to blame but themselves for that.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2019/12/ravens-definitely-arent-cheating-but-this-video-does-make-you-wonder/

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear: We are not accusing the Baltimore Ravens of cheating. There is absolutely zero evidence suggesting the Ravens are guilty of any wrongdoing. That said, there are some videos on the Ravens’ team website that might raise some eyebrows, particularly among New England Patriots fans. As you surely know by now, the Patriots are being investigated by the NFL for inappropriately videotaping the Cincinnati Bengals’ sideline last week in Cleveland — a violation the Patriots have admitted. The franchise claimed a “Do Your Job” film crew member acted out of ignorance rather than with nefarious intent, but the Patriots nonetheless are in some hot water. And, once again, a videotape containing footage of an opponent’s sideline is at the center of a controversy. That brings us to the Ravens and their “360 Replay” video series. The @Ravens have something on their site called 360 Replay. It contains a consistently suspicious angle on the opponent’s sidelines. This appears to be proprietary footage. How is this different? Turn over the tapes. pic.twitter.com/yGCqZIvSWk — WWII Felger (@WWIIFelger) December 16, 2019 First noted by Twitter user WWII Felger, the Ravens use the replays to offer dynamic views of the gameday experience at M&T Bank Stadium, including certain plays. Moreover, some of the replays offer views from behind the visiting team’s sideline, and the angles are comparable to what the Patriots’ film crew shot in Cleveland. (You can click here to watch the replay that’s caused some commotion on Twitter.) (And you can click here to view all of the “360 Replay” videos available on the Ravens’ website .) Now, it’s worth noting the Ravens haven’t uploaded a “360 Replay” to their website once this season. Instead, all of the new “360” content apparently lives exclusively on YouTube. However, a majority of the new “360” videos only highlight gameday production, atmosphere, fan experiences and behind-the-scenes looks at Ravens players. For the most part, views of opponents’ sidelines are nowhere to be found. Take a look: Is it possible the NFL informed the Ravens their old “360” videos technically violated league rules? Perhaps. Maybe the Ravens realized it on their own and decided to switch up the content strategy. Maybe their production team just found the content generally underwhelming. Regardless, there is no reason to believe the Ravens used the replays to gain a competitive edge. But that’s not the point. If the Patriots produced these videos, NFL players, fans and media alike would twist themselves into pretzels to concoct a new “Patriots are cheating” conspiracy theory. You surely would hear something along the lines of, “What if someone has access to a 360-degree replay of an entire game, including the other teams’ sidelines?” People would add it to the overflowing bucket of reasons to hate/question the NFL’s model franchise. But therein lies the harshest reality of all if you’re a New England fan. It’s the Patriots’ own faults that they are viewed and scrutinized the way they are around the NFL. When you do what they reportedly did for nearly a decade, you lose the benefit of the doubt. Would it be nice if the same microscope applied to things like the Ravens’ “360” replays? Sure, but the fact is there simply isn’t enough reason to be as skeptical of them or any of the NFL’s other 30 teams. And, like it or not, the Patriots have nobody to blame but themselves for that.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/201...ake-you-wonder/

NESN lol

Read more at: https://nesn.com/201...ake-you-wonder/

NESN lol

Ad hominem!