Bands That Made 2 Amazing Studio Albums In One Year

Bigbobby10

If we’re counting US editions of previous albums, I’d add The Clash’s self titled with London Calling since the original self titled came out in 77 in the UK.

Smiths:

Hatful

Self titled

World Won’t Listen/Louder Than Bombs

Strangeways

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Rules:

1. No Rush (because I hate them)

2. As said in title, studio albums so not 1 studio and one live or compilation albums

3. Have fun

Some that come to mind

Yes - The Yes Album / Fragile

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath / Paranoid

Queen - Queen II / Sheer Heart Attack

Sabbath’s debut and Paranoid.

• Like 2

Judas Priest - Stained Class / Killing Machine (1978)

I had Killing Machine in my head as 79 for some reason. Dang, great year for Priest, and what progress too! Stained Class is my fav, but Killing Machine shows they had far more to them than what met the eye on the last four records. British Steel a couple years later made that obvious which Killing Machine had demonstrated.

You're both right actually. Killing Machine was released in the UK in late 1978 and in the US in early 1979. Either way, they got two great albums done in a short span of time.

• Like 3

Rush - FBN & CoS

​breaking the rules, breaking the rules :musicnote:

He said amazing.

compared to most other artists, FBN certainly has amazing sections. Anthem, BBB, By-Tor, and the title track all come quickly to mind.

and CoS is amazing. No questions asked.

Overrated. In fact. Its not. It sucks.

Rush - FBN & CoS

He said amazing.

compared to most other artists, FBN certainly has amazing sections. Anthem, BBB, By-Tor, and the title track all come quickly to mind.

cat_diarrhea.gif

• Like 3

Judas Priest - Stained Class / Killing Machine (1978)

I had Killing Machine in my head as 79 for some reason. Dang, great year for Priest, and what progress too! Stained Class is my fav, but Killing Machine shows they had far more to them than what met the eye on the last four records. British Steel a couple years later made that obvious which Killing Machine had demonstrated.

You're both right actually. Killing Machine was released in the UK in late 1978 and in the US in early 1979. Either way, they got two great albums done in a short span of time.

Yea it does get confusing sometimes like Black Sabbath was 70 but paranoid was released 70 in UK but 71 in US

• Like 1

While it could be argued that the first Return To Forever album was a Chick Corea album, it was still the same basic line up for that album and Light As A Feather which followed the same year ( 1972 )
  • Like 1

Rush - FBN & CoS

He said amazing.

cat_diarrhea.gif

Yeah exactly. They tried to shit on the wall and make it stick. Good analogy Lucas.

• Like 1

Chicago -

Chicago Transit Authority - recorded January 1969

Chicago - recorded August 1969

I would say cheating, but who cares. What amazing albums, and both double lp's.

In the realm of under-appreciated classics, Chicago may have the most. Seems their public legacy has far more to do with chart success than sheer musical ingenuity or prolific output.

Any album I've ever heard with Terry Kath on it has been excellent.

• Like 2

The Beatles

Meet The Beatles (1964)

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

Beatles VI (1965)

Help (1965)

Rubber Soul (1965)

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hit Makers) (1964)

12 X 5 (1964)

The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965)

Out of Our Heads (1965)

December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965)

Bob Dylan

The Times They Are a-Changin' (1964)

Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964)

Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

Highway 61 Revisited (1965)

• Like 2

I almost want to chime in and say 'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town' by Bruce Springsteen that were both released in 1992.

However both albums aren't that great.

This was a period in Springsteen's career where he didn't have the E Street Band

I love Lucky Town. Human Touch? Eh. So yeah...fair point lol.

Something worth mentioning is that 'Use Your Illusion I' and 'Use Your Illusion II' (both released September 17, 1991) by Guns N' Roses and 'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town' (both released March 31, 1992) by Bruce Springsteen are the only two companion albums per act released on the same day in the same year.

Regarding Segue Myles comment on the Springsteen albums, check this piece out here.

Something worth mentioning is that 'Use Your Illusion I' and 'Use Your Illusion II' (both released September 17, 1991) by Guns N' Roses and 'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town' (both released March 31, 1992) by Bruce Springsteen are the only two companion albums per act released on the same day in the same year.

Regarding Segue Myles comment on the Springsteen albums, check this piece out here.

I threw out the Illusions sort of tongue in cheek. In reality, it was a double album released as two separate albums as a cash grab, IMO.