Florida bridge collapse

Relayer2112

I'm no engineer, but can anyone out there explain how this sort of thing can happen in the modern age? All the engineering feats that have been accomplished in this country and a brand new pedestrian bridge collapses, killing six people.

It appears that they were trying some new technique where they build the bridge next to the road and then rotate it when it was completed so that the road didn't need to be closed during construction.

The bridge was built to withstand hurricane force winds and ends up not lasting more than five days. I just don't understand.

I have no idea. All I know is that there is a very special young woman going to medical school down there (I'm in Virginia,) and I'm just glad that she is ok. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones.
  • Like 4

"The $14.2 million FIU bridge was designed under a process called “accelerated bridge construction” that allowed for larger sections to be built and then lifted into place."

Seems like a bad idea.

• Like 2

Wow, it will be interesting to see who gets blamed for this one. Possibly miscommunication between the bridge designers and the group that moved the bridge into place (though you'd think that they would be one in the same).

"The $14.2 million FIU bridge was designed under a process called “accelerated bridge construction” that allowed for larger sections to be built and then lifted into place."

Seems like a bad idea.

It's not. It's actually fantastic applied correctly. We pioneered it here in Utah and have placed many new interstate overpasses and underpasses with it.

Beats closing an interstate for weeks. You can do it overnight and not even interrupt one day's commute traffic flow.

Our 6 pm news said that there are several newer bridges around central PA that are a similar design. All of them are now being inspected for safety. Glad to know that !

"The $14.2 million FIU bridge was designed under a process called “accelerated bridge construction” that allowed for larger sections to be built and then lifted into place."

Seems like a bad idea.

It's not. It's actually fantastic applied correctly. We pioneered it here in Utah and have placed many new interstate overpasses and underpasses with it.

Beats closing an interstate for weeks. You can do it overnight and not even interrupt one day's commute traffic flow.

With huge, unsupported pieces?

I don't think crushing commuters is preferable to an inconvenient drive for a few weeks, but then, I'm not an engineer.

Engineer advised of cracking on bridge two days before collapse

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/us/bridge-collapse-florida/index.html

Crack on Florida Bridge Was Discussed in Meeting Hours Before Collapse

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/florida-bridge-collapse-crack.html

The engineering company, Figg Bridge Engineers, delivered a technical presentation on the crack, and “concluded there were no safety concerns and the crack did not compromise the structural integrity of the bridge,” the statement said.

:facepalm:

Engineer advised of cracking on bridge two days before collapse

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/us/bridge-collapse-florida/index.html

Crack on Florida Bridge Was Discussed in Meeting Hours Before Collapse

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/florida-bridge-collapse-crack.html

The engineering company, Figg Bridge Engineers, delivered a technical presentation on the crack, and “concluded there were no safety concerns and the crack did not compromise the structural integrity of the bridge,” the statement said.

:facepalm:

Shit goes south fast when engineers don't do their jobs properly.

"The $14.2 million FIU bridge was designed under a process called “accelerated bridge construction” that allowed for larger sections to be built and then lifted into place."

Seems like a bad idea.

I don't think crushing commuters is preferable to an inconvenient drive for a few weeks, but then, I'm not an engineer.

Best not to rail against modern construction and engineering methods because of one engineers failure. ABC is not known as risky, and this isn't going to change that for nonlaypeople.

From the sounds of things, that engineer should've shut down traffic for that street once this was detected. But perhaps more information will surface.

Seems like a bad idea.

Best not to rail against modern construction and engineering methods because of one engineers failure.

How about because of his grammar?

a·pos·tro·phe1

əˈpästrəfē/

noun

1. a punctuation mark ( ’ ) used to indicate either possession

:LOL:

Edited by goose

But seriously, from what I've read, it seems that this project was pushing the bounds of safe practice in taking a proven method to an extreme.

This reminds me why I didn't choose the structural engineering realm of civil engineering--because I have no interest in having liability over shit like bridge and building safety hanging over my head. No thanks!
  • Like 2