Very talented rock bands with mediocre music output?

Texas King

The beach boys are a big one.

Respect the crap outta these guys (well not Mike Love) but it just really isn't my thing....like at all.

Mick

Yes. And their so-called best album is really a Brian Wilson solo album they sang on.

They All didn't get that album. All they did was lend their voices and Brian did everything else.

I'm iffy onn that record myself, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Yes- from 90125 forward.

Yes- from 90125 forward.

did they actually make albums after 90125?

can't think of any I'm missing out on.

That's my point, yeah. If you can't remember Big Generator, Union, Talk, Keys to Ascension I and II...those are off the top of my head. Some decent material in places, but they all (including 90125, IMO) pale in comparison to what had come before.

Here's another band that, in my opinion, started off great and then fizzled to mediocrity: The Moody Blues

this one too Lorraine. last time i listened to the classic 7 i thought this is super cheesy and really didn't age well.

Mick

i have to agree, and I idolized them for a very long time. No other band did I ever go to see as many times as i went to see them.

Their albums sound dated and didn't age well at all. Most of them at least. Seventh Sojourn isn't too bad; neither is EGBDF. And a couple of good songs on the Hayward and Lodge effort Blue Jays. But I find myself, when listening to the Moodies now, wanting to speed the music up. It just drags and is plodding.

• Like 1

Chicago - post Terry Kath.

Yes, yes, yes...as much as I don't like feeling this way, they should have packed it in after 1978.

Nearly everything in their first 9-10 years was brilliant, though.

Chicago - post Terry Kath.

Yes, yes, yes...as much as I don't like feeling this way, they should have packed it in after 1978.

Nearly everything in their first 9-10 years was brilliant, though.

Cetera castrated that band's sound with his sappy ballads and annoying vocals.

They were all about playing this hits as long as the cocaine kept flowing.

Edited by HemiBeers

Don't hit me but.....solo John Lennon.

i'm a guy who loved his beatles work.......ADORED it. but i was really let down by a majority of his solo work i know the talant was still there. it was just really unfocused during those years, IMO.

Mick

Van Halen - from Hagar forward.

Van Halen - pre Hagar.
  • Like 1

After the 70s ended, for the talent Deep Purple had, they put out a lot of forgettable albums

On a related note, as much as this might sound like guitar blasphemy, The Dregs, and in particular, Steve Morse

Deep Purple's "Abandon" w/ Steve is god awful

• Like 1

Quiet Riot managed to somehow suck with Randy Rhoads in the band. They sucked without him too, but they did manage one good album.

The thread was for 'very talented bands'. I don't think QR ever met that description.

I suppose, depending on your opinions, the alternative is that every band retire after their "peak" album. And if this was the case most bands would have hung up their guitars decades ago.

some bands you'd miss out........but there is A strong case for it......and i've actually argued for it a good amount.

Mick