Eclipses are cool!

workingcinderellaman

It was pretty awesome! We have had a lot of song birds and cicadas this summer and everything went quiet. We had about 80% coverage. Like Lorraine said, I might not have noticed if I didn't know it was an eclipse day, but the animals noticed!

Here is a photo I took- Eclipse shadows on our driveway! Lovely crescents that are the exact shape of the sun above. Tiny openings in the tree leaves acted like pinhole cameras.

http://i.imgur.com/WdA1z3lm.jpg

• Like 7

My next door neighbors were driving by and saw me standing there with my glasses on, so they got out of the car and I passed my glasses around so everyone could catch a glimpse.
  • Like 2

It just passed the most we will get. It's amazing how much light 8% of the sun can produce.

I thought the same thing - we had about 94% coverage here and it was still pretty bright. It was odd and eerie though... At 1:30 PM CST - sun is not obscured by clouds at all... yet its darker ... Very weird. It was like I had filters on my eyes.

I took a picture through a welding mask here at work though..

20934939_692549447616887_3418473641557793500_o.jpg?oh=4f4e066e43c9b17e830a8c3e89a5ab6f&oe=5A2B7D9C

• Like 8

Co-worker had a pair of glasses, which she let me utilize for a minute.

That was beautiful.

A customer happened to be in while it was at its peak with those glasses here and I was able to view it with the glasses, which were slightly better than the welding mask I was using. Quite amazing.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

It's close ! tHIS IS SO COOL. Something to remember.

Really? Will you remember it a year from now, 5 years from now, 20 years from now? i guess you will, but probably only in a very minute and minuscule way.

I know I will. It was pretty cool. Even if we didn't have a total eclipse here, it is such a rare thing. I live for these things. A sight to behold.

• Like 2

It didn't get that dark but there were shadows and like Bc said 80% cover. It was worth it.
  • Like 2

It's close ! tHIS IS SO COOL. Something to remember.

Really? Will you remember it a year from now, 5 years from now, 20 years from now? i guess you will, but probably only in a very minute and minuscule way.

I remember the 1979 eclipse and one in 1994.

I believe those were the only two that were visible to me from where I was at the time.

This one is cool because it's a total eclipse that went across the middle of the country. I suspect most people will remember this one for the rest of their lives. That doesn't mean that it's life-changing, but it;s still pretty cool.

• Like 2

I saw a total eclipse in 1999 and it was spectacular. I was at a little lake and the colours of the water and the surrounding trees went pale and totally unreal, it was very strange and scarry at the same time. Birds screamed wild and all of a sudden everything was dead silent. It felt like being in an intermediate world. I'll never forget that mood and the weird feelings I had.
  • Like 5

Indeed! I remember both, the full eclipse of the Moon, and The Sun in my lifetime!

http://i.imgur.com/KG4I2rv.gif

• Like 2

Ingredients: One Klipsch subwoofer box, one pair of binoculars, one sheet of whiteboard, black duct tape and string (to hold up binoculars).

It worked pretty well! The images were much clearer than the iPhone photos that I took. I could see sunspots quite clearly.

5RZ2urx.jpg

Dtx3Ion.jpg

IwF97Cb.jpg

• Like 7

Ingredients: One Klipsch subwoofer box, one pair of binoculars, one sheet of whiteboard, black duct tape and string (to hold up binoculars).

It worked pretty well! The images were much clearer than the iPhone photos that I took. I could see sunspots quite clearly.

5RZ2urx.jpg

Dtx3Ion.jpg

IwF97Cb.jpg

The people across the street had one of those.

Maybe I'll borrow it to use to scare intruders away at night. I'll put it on my head and go charging after them. It'll work better than a gun.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I saw the lizard people

http://i.imgur.com/sK7lFxJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vAcY2VC.gif

• Like 3

5RZ2urx.jpg

Dtx3Ion.jpg

IwF97Cb.jpg

That's awesome! I should have aimed for a better project than a free pair of eclipse glasses from the neighbors. :P

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

That's awesome! I should have aimed for a better project than a free pair of eclipse glasses from the neighbors. :P

It took about 30 minutes to make....and I did have to run down to the Walmart to get the whiteboard. I fully expected the clouds to screw me over, but they smiled on me.... :banana:

We have a mere seven years to prepare for the next total eclipse, which will arrive in April, 2024. It will travel from Texas to Maine.

http://www.astronomy.com/-/media/Images/Magazine%20Articles/2016/10/ASYSK1016_03.jpg

• Like 2

It took about 30 minutes to make....and I did have to run down to the Walmart to get the whiteboard. I fully expected the clouds to screw me over, but they smiled on me.... :banana:

We have a mere seven years to prepare for the next total eclipse, which will arrive in April, 2024. It will travel from Texas to Maine.

http://www.astronomy.com/-/media/Images/Magazine%20Articles/2016/10/ASYSK1016_03.jpg

When's the next one after 2024?

I'm wondering if this one is the last one I will see in my lifetime. The next one won't even be near us.

Edited by Lorraine

When's the next one after 2024?

I'm wondering if this one is the last one I will see in my lifetime. The next one won't even be near us.

2044: Montana and North Dakota

2045: California to Florida

2052: Gulf Coast states

Shall I keep going? We're gonna live forever, so...... ;)

• Like 1