Rush's Roots

winter17

I always hear how Rush developed parts of their sound from Led Zeppelin, but I never understood it until I took a deeper listen to "Ramble On" and hear how the bass work resembled that of Geddy's early baselines. What are some other examples? Just curious as relatively new Rush fan...

It's not a Led Zeppelin example, but Geddy has cited Steve Marriott of Humble Pie as one of his vocal influences when Rush first got started. I think you can hear it in this song with the higher register and all. Once in awhile when I hear the chorus of "Closer to the Heart", half of my brain is going, "Thirty Days in the Hole . . . . " ( I think there's a young Peter Frampton at 0:55) although he left before this was recorded .....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws

Edited by blueschica

For Geddy's influences...a couple things he's mentioned:

Check out the early Yes album Time and A Word

"3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds" off Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane

"Spoonful" off Fresh Cream by Cream

It's all the debut. They sound like a completely different band by fly by night. When you look at the time between the two it's actually pretty amazing how much they changed.
  • Like 1

It's all the debut. They sound like a completely different band by fly by night. When you look at the time between the two it's actually pretty amazing how much they changed.

So true, usually we're too obsessed with their changes in sound from 2112 through HYF on this forum to remember how totally different they were by album 2!

I suppose there's a certain virtuosic, well-read reason behind some of that...hehe.

• Like 1

In A relatively recent radio interview Alex and Ged said what really turned them on at the beginning were John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers and Cream. Since I vividly remember being electrified by the first John Mayall album I heard in 1966, I can see where they got the impetus
  • Like 2

My spirits are low, in the depths of despair, my lifeblood, spills over is total Janis Joplin

.. and that ABC 1974 Agora Ballroom recording, the influence is definitely there - esp the phrasing

• Like 2

"I like Neil but he's completely ruined that band. They'll never go anywhere now."

-Paul Stanley

Fact or Fiction?

Could go either way.

nonsense

:LOL:

Yeah I know. If anything, Paul & Gene would've said Rush were going to be huge with all the talent to back it up.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2