What do you consider "dad rock?" if anything?

fraroc

My grandfather loved Johnny Cash.

My father loved Johnny Cash.

My uncles love Johnny Cash.

I love Johnny Cash.

My kids love Johnny Cash.

I suspect my grandchildren and great grandchildren will love Johnny Cash.

If not, they will be cut off of the family tree.

• Like 1

When I refer to that classification of music, I use the radio term "classic rock," which is just an evolution of old AOR. Anything that wouldn't fly when AOR became classic rock radio, doesn't fly with me under that classification.

So in general we start with the tail end of the sixties and go up to (but never including) Nirvana, though some releases post Nevermind do make the cut (Tom Petty and Aerosmith come to mind).

I recently saw Ian Anderson in concert. During intermission he discussed prostate cancer and how most fans in the audience are 50+, and should get tested.

Now that is Dad Rock and I love it.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

I recently saw Ian Anderson in concert. During intermission he discussed prostate cancer and how most fans in the audience are 50+ and should get tested.

You just gave me an idea for the next song I will listen to.

Thanks!

Did he do Witch's Promise?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I recently saw Ian Anderson in concert. During intermission he discussed prostate cancer and how most fans in the audience are 50+ and should get tested.

You just gave me an idea for the next song I will listen to.

Thanks!

Did he do Witch's Promise?

LOL. No.

• Like 1

Top 20 DadRock albums. I have most of them. :facepalm:

https://www.amoeba.c...ther-s-day.html

That list sucks. If you're gonna list a top 20 albums which you refer to as "dad rock," knowing the term to often be used in a duragatory manner, you have to pick twenty albums that are both worshipped by 45+ dads everywhere and totally rock out. More like Moving Pictures (or 2112 maybe), Who's Next, Toys In The Attic, Back In Black, Destroyer, the Number Of The Beast, The Black Album, Boston, 4, Pyromania, etc. More emphasis on the rocking.

Gee, people need to be more accurate with their insults. :eyeroll: :syrinx:

So do I. I will hang my head in shame with you. :facepalm:

No Bob Segar, Eagles or James Taylor... so I'm good.

I had 15 of them. I didn't have that Chicago album. Or James Taylor. Or The Band or Allman Bros. Or Bob Seger.

i own 19 out of 20. So basically what was called classic rock a few years ago is now "dad rock"? Rubbish!
  • Like 1

I think "dad rock" is a loaded term used to not only disparage older bands, but to insult younger fans of older bands, in the sense of "ugh, you like Metallica? That's lame-ass dad rock."

Anyway, I'd like to get your thoughts on this matter.

I don't even think whoever said it meant it as THAT much of an insult to younger fans of older bands. Seems like the types that say those types of things say them to make themselves look cool, hip, whatever.

The answer to this "problem" is very easy. When they ask you/say to you, "ugh, you like (insert any older rock band)? That's lame ass dad rock", answer with: "Yeah. I like (that band)."

When you can reply like that without feeling defensive/annoyed, then you can TRULY move on and enjoy music without thinking so much about what others think.

So do I. I will hang my head in shame with you. :facepalm:

No Bob Segar, Eagles or James Taylor... so I'm good.

I had 15 of them. I didn't have that Chicago album. Or James Taylor. Or The Band or Allman Bros. Or Bob Seger.

i own 19 out of 20. So basically what was called classic rock a few years ago is now "dad rock"? Rubbish!

It's still classic rock. There's been no official name change. Dad rock is just an internet label.

• Like 1

I think the "dad" prefix has just become a general term that encompasses anything that younger people consider something their parents would do. I've heard it in relation to a lot of things and not just music.
  • Like 3

Classic rock isn't dad rock at all.

When I went to some Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd tribute bands, or when I saw Queen, lots of people there were kids, or teens, or younger adults, and they enjoyed the show very much.

I don't think "dad rock" is a real term. It's just a derogatory term against fans of older music.

• Like 2

I'm an awesome dad and I will love RUSH FOREVER!

My awesome dad is 80! HE LOVES RUSH! KISS! DEF LEPPARD! DREAM THEATER! IRON MAIDEN! GHOST! (minus the satanic stuff), MONTROSE! VAN HALEN! VAN HAGAR! TED NUGENT!!

So does that mean the music we all love could be called GRANDPA ROCK?

FUKK AGE! It's just a number! And it's number is 666!

• Like 6

I'm an awesome dad and I will love RUSH FOREVER!

My awesome dad is 80! HE LOVES RUSH! KISS! DEF LEPPARD! DREAM THEATER! IRON MAIDEN! GHOST! (minus the satanic stuff), MONTROSE! VAN HALEN! VAN HAGAR! TED NUGENT!!

So does that mean the music we all love could be called GRANDPA ROCK?

FUKK AGE! It's just a number! And it's number is 666!

My awesome mom is 80 too! I showed her a Neil Peart drum solo once and she said, "My gosh! He's like a tornado!" She can recognize talent when she sees it and doesn't care if something is old, new, or whatever. If she likes or dislikes something she can still give it credit if there's talent present. GRANDMA ROCK!

• Like 1