Overused phrases of the moment...

treeduck

*perfect*

In almost every store in my town, the cashiers and clerks love to say *perfect* when talking to customers. I do a simple thing, like putting my items on the counter or some other normal act, and the cashier says *perfect*.

Miss, you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. There is nothing "perfect" about what I just did. :eh:

• Like 2

*perfect*

In almost every store in my town, the cashiers and clerks love to say *perfect* when talking to customers. I do a simple thing, like putting my items on the counter or some other normal act, and the cashier says *perfect*.

Miss, you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. There is nothing "perfect" about what I just did. :eh:

Perfect!

Not a phrase, but people beginning their reply to a question with "So..."

Drives me batshit as it's becoming commonplace.

This is SO funny! I entered this thread for the sole purpose of stating the above. i wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. It drives me crazy - everyone is starting sentences with "so" now it seems. You watch commentators debating on TV and it is very common.

So what's your point?

• Like 1

*perfect*

Perfect!

I hate you. ;)

• Like 1

*perfect*

Perfect!

I hate you. ;)

Just happened to me AGAIN today. I brought a case of ceiling tile up to the counter, and the cashier (an older guy) immediately said, "Perfect"...... :facepalm:

• Like 1

*perfect*

Perfect!

I hate you. ;)

Just happened to me AGAIN today. I brought a case of ceiling tile up to the counter, and the cashier (an older guy) immediately said, "Perfect"...... :facepalm:

Now every time someone says it, I will think of you and laugh to myself.

• Like 1

*perfect*

I only ever use "perfect!" sarcastically...like when everything is going wrong. "Oh that's £*<&ing perfect!"

Is that acceptable?

• Like 1

*perfect*

I only ever use "perfect!" sarcastically...like when everything is going wrong. "Oh that's £*<&ing perfect!"

Is that acceptable?

This is acceptable:

d-rooooooooop.gif?w=650

• Like 1

Is that acceptable?

We'll hold a meeting and let you know.

Next....

Perfect! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleye/rolleye0011.gif Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

"How's your morning/day going so far?"

I don't know where or how stores got the idea that meaningless small talk at the check-out was good for business.

I used to work in retail and all that friendly how's your day going, how are you doing stuff is fake BS. Employees are trained to ask things like that in order to leave a good impression on the customer and give them a good experience so they'll come back again.

I never knew many employees who actually cared how customers who were complete strangers really were doing. Believe it or not, that friendly chat does work on a lot of people.

• Like 2

Not a phrase, but people beginning their reply to a question with "So..."

Drives me batshit as it's becoming commonplace.

This is SO funny! I entered this thread for the sole purpose of stating the above. i wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. It drives me crazy - everyone is starting sentences with "so" now it seems. You watch commentators debating on TV and it is very common.

So what's your point?

Reminded me when I had to write freestyle essays on summer camps when I was a young kid. Nearly every sentence started with 'so'.

So luckily I improved. :P

• Like 2

I don't know where or how stores got the idea that meaningless small talk at the check-out was good for business.

I used to work in retail and all that friendly how's your day going, how are you doing stuff is fake BS. Employees are trained to ask things like that in order to leave a good impression on the customer and give them a good experience so they'll come back again.

I never knew many employees who actually cared how customers who were complete strangers really were doing. Believe it or not, that friendly chat does work on a lot of people.

I would love to say that surprises me, but it doesn't.

I would love to say that surprises me, but it doesn't.

I used to work with customer service years ago. Most of the time I had a good rapport with the customer, probably because I really listened to their concerns and tried to find a solution both they and the company could agree on. Some people couldn't be helped and so I would go out back and bitch about them with my coworkers to not take it out on some unsuspecting customer. My point is that I think you know when it's meant and when it's company dogma.

Whenever I work in a retail-type setting I engage the customers. I enjoy it, and they seem to as well. I figure, if you don't want that kind of interaction, you'll shop at Amazon or cook at home.
  • Like 3

Using the word "hack" as a clever solution to a problem. As in, "Five great hacks for getting great concert tickets!"

:boo hiss:

• Like 3

Whenever I work in a retail-type setting I engage the customers. I enjoy it, and they seem to as well. I figure, if you don't want that kind of interaction, you'll shop at Amazon or cook at home.

"Overused Phrases"

When cashiers are friendly

:facepalm:

• Like 2

"Overused Phrases"

Sad that it's even in question.
  • Like 3

*perfect*

Is that acceptable?

Totally acceptable. You're using it in a complete and appropriate sentence, and sarcasm is always good. :LOL:

• Like 1

"Overused Phrases"

Sad that it's even in question.

If anything pisses me off it's when retail staff are friendly. That really gets my blood boiling!! And the managers training them to do so in the hopes to increase business?!! Villainous!!!

I've known retail workers who actually like people and are naturally polite. Impossible!! They've got to be insincere, a-hole muppets!!!

Brought to you by the letter "Sarcasm".

Seriously though, cordiality and friendliness are never overused. A kind or polite word, comment, smile, or gesture can go a long way in someone's day. You've got to be blind not to realize that. And I'm not talking about increasing a shop's sales either.

• Like 6