The Official R.E.M. Thread

I love "These Days".

Stipe has said that he wrote "These Days" while coming out a very dark period, and the song was an epiphany for him. That translates through the music and lyrics. Classic R.E.M. song.

Another one that I love and I don't think has been mentioned is You Are the Everything, from Green. I think of that song from a very emotional perspective- I think it comes through as purely positive, though, rather than difficult.

Sometimes I feel like I can't even sing (say, say, the light)

I'm very scared for this world, I'm very scared for me (say, say, the light)

Eviscerate your memory

Here's a scene

You're in the backseat laying down, the windows wrap around (say, say, the light)

To sound of the travel and the engine (say, say, the light)

All you hear is time stand still in travel

And feel such peace and absolute

The stillness still that doesn't end

But slowly drifts into sleep

The stars are the greatest thing you've ever seen

And they're there for you

For you alone, you are the everything

:notworthy:

• Like 1

I'm so glad I started this thread I was worried I'd have to go through a new obsession alone haha

This track totally makes me think of you, in the best possible way. Pure confidence...

I look good in a glass pack

I look good and mean

I look good in metallic sick wraparound blackout tease

I scud along the horizon, I drink some sweet tree

I get high in my low-ass boot-cut jean

I like being seen

I look good with my drink-eat-no-sleep, take-a-leap longevity

I get high on my attitude, latitude, 1973

I'm in deep

My head's on fire and high esteem

Carry my dead, bored, been there, done that, anything

Oh, the wake-up bomb

• Like 4

I prefer the IRS stuff myself but Green, HiFi and Collapse are all top shelf.

Also really like the Live In Dublin release. They reached back and pulled out some really obscure stuff from Reckoning and Pageant two excellent albums.

Document remains one of my favorite albums by anyone ever. Its like Animals or Signals. Definitive.

Document is a better album than both those by far.

Smh. No. They are different. Completely different ahem, Animals.

• Like 1

Here's my personal top ten R.E.M. songs:

Gardening at Night

Pilgrimage

Laughing

Talk About the Passion

Perfect Circle

Shaking Through

Harborcoat

7 Chinese Brothers

So. Central Rain

Camera

(Don't Go Back to) Rockville

Feeling Gravity's Pull

Life and How to Live It

Maps and Legends

These Days

Fall On Me

I Believe

Swan Swan H

Finest Worksong

Welcome to the Occupation

Disturbance at the Heron House

King of Birds

You Are the Everything

Turn You Inside Out

Losing My Religion

Belong

Country Feedback

Try Not to Breath

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight

Sweetness Follows

Man on the Moon

Nightswimming

Fretless

Strange Currencies

Crush with Eyeliner

Undertow

E-Bow the Letter

Electrolite

At My Most Beautiful

The Great Beyond

Imitation of Life

Electron Blue

Living Well is the Best Revenge

Walk it Back

Now I maybe an idiot, but...

Never mind.

Confession:

Shiny Happy People is one of my favourite songs. You can tell if you've been depressed that this was a damaged mind on a good day.

• Like 3

Confession:

Shiny Happy People is one of my favourite songs. You can tell if you've been depressed that this was a damaged mind on a good day.

That's the most Hollies-like song of all.

• Like 3

All I can say is after many years having had a break from this band, coming back to them has been a joy.

They mean a lot to me bow for very different reasons to back then.

• Like 2

All I can say is after many years having had a break from this band, coming back to them has been a joy.

That illustrates one of the BEST things about being a music fan..... as you get older/change/mature/whatever, the same songs can hit you differently.

• Like 3

That illustrates one of the BEST things about being a music fan..... as you get older/change/mature/whatever, the same songs can hit you differently.

Definitely.

The same thing just hit me with Pearl Jam. Man alive, I thought I knew Ten inside out.

After more than a decade the lyrics all of a sudden have meaning and I am in awe of the depth and the storytelling.

So as a kid I rocked out. Today I listen and feel.

• Like 3

I read the other day that bill berry retired and is a hay farmer. That struck me as kinda cool for some reason
  • Like 2

Definitely.

The same thing just hit me with Pearl Jam. Man alive, I thought I knew Ten inside out.

After more than a decade the lyrics all of a sudden have meaning and I am in awe of the depth and the storytelling.

I think I mentioned I finally bought Ten recently. I've been singing those songs around campus non-stop for the past couple days now. That album is infinitely repayable. I don't see it getting old for me...ever.

• Like 3

I remember back in the mid-90s then tennis pro Jim Courier joined R.E.M. onstage and played drums on Orange Crush. He's a big music fan and can play drums and guitar. I think this was in Melbourne during the Australian Open and R.E.M just happened to be on tour. Courier was my favorite tennis player at the time and R.E.M. was one of my favorite bands then too. I should see if that vid exists on YouTube.

• Like 1

I remember back in the mid-90s then tennis pro Jim Courier joined R.E.M. onstage and played drums on Orange Crush. He's a big music fan and can play drums and guitar. I think this was in Melbourne during the Australian Open and R.E.M just happened to be on tour. Courier was my favorite tennis player at the time and R.E.M. was one of my favorite bands then too. I should see if that vid exists on YouTube.

ed001868e345d189093dbe4015895da8.jpg

Could only find a photo.

• Like 1

ed001868e345d189093dbe4015895da8.jpg

Could only find a photo.

Good find on at least that. :yes:

Nothing on YouTube that's for sure. :no:

• Like 1

I read the other day that bill berry retired and is a hay farmer. That struck me as kinda cool for some reason

I wonder if more people would be OK with Neil's retirement if he were doing some kind of farming? :unsure:
  • Like 2

Definitely.

Yeah.

And it will be ever more so as you get older. Stuff I loved in my teens/20s because it sounded good now hits me in a profound way with its message. It's really something.

• Like 1

Definitely.

Yeah.

And it will be ever more so as you get older. Stuff I loved in my teens/20s because it sounded good now hits me in a profound way with its message. It's really something.

To be honest the alternative rock scene of the late eighties, early nineties has some of the most profoundly affecting music I've ever heard.

I really love that era. It was incredibly raw and passionate and you can hear the sincerity as well as the talent, and the lack of polish is truly wonderful. I can't get enough of the likes of Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Temple Of The Dog and others like Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus And Mary Chain.

That era is timeless.

People remember hair metal but those underground bands are what I most fondly admire.

I held off diving back into grunge as I was convinced it was a teen phase and immature music.

I feel stupid now for thinking Ten was a load of whiny angst. I remember living it as a kid. Now i love it even more and am grateful to my teen years for what I chose to spend my money on!

• Like 2