The Official R.E.M. Thread

Just looked it all up.

Thank you guys this is really special news for me I adore this band for reasons ReRushed mentioned REM were for him!

I cannot wait!

• Like 1

Just looked it all up.

Thank you guys this is really special news for me I adore this band for reasons ReRushed mentioned REM were for him!

I cannot wait!

You're welcome. I'm really excited too.

Was all set to see them in 2011, but my father died a couple days before the gig.... I just couldn't.

Love, love, love REM. Arguably the best and most important American band of the last 40 years. Their music hits a special place in my mind.

Favorite albums:

Murmur

Lifes

Monster

Reckoning

Document

Automatic

Green

Out of Time

Fables

Favorite Songs:

Radio Free Europe

What's the Frequency

Begin the Begin

Pretty Persuasion

Crush with Eyeliner

Man on the Moon

Swan Swan H

Stand

Pilgrimage

Superman

Fall on Me

Rockville

Circus Envy

Imitation of Life

Can't get there..

• Like 1

They kinda sound like the Beach Boys sometimes, but with more to them

You just reminded me of another favorite R.E.M. song - At My Most Beautiful... which is most definitely a Beach Boys homage (in terms of arrangement)

• Like 2

Playing Life's Rich Pageant for the first time in years and Fall On Me just blew me away. What a gorgeous song!
  • Like 4

I always thought Fleet Foxes felt like a rustic folk band that listened solely to REM and Beach Boys haha
  • Like 1

Just going to quickly mention, The Blue Aeroplanes, I brought them up somewhere in this section of the forum a few weeks back, they began before R.E.M. but ended up being influenced by them. Stipe performs guest vocals on an album of theirs called Swagger.
  • Like 2

I REALLY wish I'd seen them live. I do not have a good excuse. :(

They're OK live. Nothing close to Rush. They sounded good, but they don't have the same kind of stage presence or stage show as Rush.

During the late 80s and early 90s, Rush kind of fell out of favor with me. At that time, I was one of those guys lamenting the departure of Terry Brown. I missed the old sound. During that period, REM filled the void left by Rush. REM helped me get into Alternative music at a time when I was growing bored with "Classic Rock". Hard to believe it was already 28 years ago when I saw them during the Green tour. :o

My favorite songs include: Catapult, Pretty Persuasion, So. Central Rain, Talk About The Passion, Begin the Begin, Fall On Me, Driver 8, Finest Worksong, Oddfellows Local 151, Orange Crush, Turn You Inside-Out, and my favorite REM song has got to be Superman.

I've never been able to warm up to anything from REM after Green. It's all too polished and pop like. In the mid 90s, something happened. My taste matured or something, and I suddenly found myself in love with the post TB Rush, and I was getting into heavier acts. I still enjoy the earlier REM, but they don't hold the same place in my heart that they did 25 years ago. :(

• Like 3

I love the first five albums and Automatic for the People. Life's Rich Pageant is probably my favorite.

As far as my top three favorite songs I'd say Harborcoat, Fall on Me, and Nightswimming.

• Like 2

Back in my classic rock snob days, R.E.M. we're a bit like Nirvana to me. Their music tended to annoy me more than anything (though I enjoyed the singles from Document, and Loosing My Religion), and they were a key in the puzzle of the "demise of classic rock."

Once I got over that snobbishness and realized a ton of post-Nirvana music was actually awesome, I still held silent grades against R.E.M. And Nirvana, though I was much less spiteful towards the Georgians. Still their music didn't excite me and I wasn't too keen to look into it.

Then one day I decided I was mature enough to give some of their albums a fair shot, so over some time I checked out Document and Out Of Time and Murmur. Murmur really stuck with me, and the other two were fine to my ears. I also checked out Green, but it was very unexciting for me. I thought anything with a mandolin used like that in it sounded like a Led Zep rip off, and not well done.

Their not one of my favorites, but I appreciate them much more, and I do enjoy them from time to time. No more grudge, but they do still have a tendency to fade into the background for me. What can I say, I like exciting music a bit more most days.

• Like 1

Too many great songs to list.

My top 3 albums though would be Document, Life's Rich Pageant, and Murmur. Any of them could be #1 at any given mood.

I remember about a decade back on TRF there was a sentiment that "best of" or compilation albums "were for soccer moms". I thought it was a horseshit, snobby comment. And I said as much at the time. REM was actually the band I thought of when defending "Best of" albums. And there's no way could you go wrong with their first compilation "Eponymous" or 91's "The Best of REM".

It's currently 7:50am here now, I'm still lying in bed, and the sky is clear & blue and all positive looking.

Today's soundtrack will be REM. :yes:

• Like 5

Every day is an REM kind of day!
  • Like 2

Too many great songs to list.

My top 3 albums though would be Document, Life's Rich Pageant, and Murmur. Any of them could be #1 at any given mood.

I remember about a decade back on TRF there was a sentiment that "best of" or compilation albums "were for soccer moms". I thought it was a horseshit, snobby comment. And I said as much at the time. REM was actually the band I thought of when defending "Best of" albums. And there's no way could you go wrong with their first compilation "Eponymous" or 91's "The Best of REM".

Agreed. I have to credit "Eponymous" with pushing me into R.E.M. fandom.

• Like 2

Very good band, but I thought they lost their edge after they became one of the 'mega' bands around the early 90s. Musically, they're very simple but Stipe's vocals and the lyrics hold the songs together well.

They remind me of my first wedding where we chose 'it's end of the world as we know it' as the 2nd solo dance song for my wife and I at the reception. The first song was Gabriel's 'In your eyes' which was more wedding appropriate. What can I say...we both had a warped sense of humor. The groom's cake was a Beavis and Butthead cake.

• Like 1

Love this song and album. I haven't listened to REM lately but I might have to change that. I haven't heard the last 3 studio albums, however, I love 80s and mid 90s REM.

• Like 5

So many great songs. Along with what's been posted, I'll give a shout-out to the oft maligned New Adventures in HiFi. I really like that album and thought it was a nice return to rawness.
  • Like 2