Texas King

Your favorite grunge-era album?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite grunge-era album?

• Dirt - Alice in Chains
    • Nevermind - Nirvana
    • Ten - Pearl Jam
    • Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

Chris Cornell's first solo album, "Euphoria Morning" is great too. Definitely not a grunge record..and that's one of the things that makes it interesting. The Songs are excellent.

Cornell is one of those artists for me. There is, literally, nothing in his discography I don't enjoy. I have all his solo albums. They're not all of the same quality, but they're all good. And his unplugged live album is excellent.

• Like 1

So I loved every Alice In Chains album/EP I bought.

Which is a relief as I took a bold risk there!

And today I tried Screaming Trees Dust. Absolutely adored it.

Next, more Soundgarden. I really love them but funnily enough notbas much as others. This could easily change!

It should. Cornell is the most talented vocalist of all of the "grunge" singers. If you haven't before, I'd recommend you check out Audioslave's discography.

I won't disagree. Only that I love Eddie Vedders voice more (not claiming he was better, just that I love his voice).

(Also...I'm deeply ashamed of my ridiculous attitude in the Yes 90125 discussion the other week).

Ten is the grunge album that really grabbed me more than any other. I like Soundgarden's overall body of work more than PJ's, but Ten will always be one of "those" albums for me.

And no worries Segue. :cheers:

I love Ten. Likely my favourite album of the entire decade (a decision made this week actually, it used to be my favourite but it has not been touched in years so I forgot it).

I look forward to more Soundgarden.

I play Vs. and Yield more often than Ten, but no doubt Ten is a killer album. I really should play it again soon....

So I loved every Alice In Chains album/EP I bought.

Which is a relief as I took a bold risk there!

And today I tried Screaming Trees Dust. Absolutely adored it.

Next, more Soundgarden. I really love them but funnily enough notbas much as others. This could easily change!

It should. Cornell is the most talented vocalist of all of the "grunge" singers. If you haven't before, I'd recommend you check out Audioslave's discography.

I won't disagree. Only that I love Eddie Vedders voice more (not claiming he was better, just that I love his voice).

(Also...I'm deeply ashamed of my ridiculous attitude in the Yes 90125 discussion the other week).

Ten is the grunge album that really grabbed me more than any other. I like Soundgarden's overall body of work more than PJ's, but Ten will always be one of "those" albums for me.

And no worries Segue. :cheers:

I love Ten. Likely my favourite album of the entire decade (a decision made this week actually, it used to be my favourite but it has not been touched in years so I forgot it).

I look forward to more Soundgarden.

I play Vs. and Yield more often than Ten, but no doubt Ten is a killer album. I really should play it again soon....

Ten is precious but...Vitalogy is a very, and increasingly close, second.

Vaguely remembering some of these:

Ten (gold standard rock album)

Badmotorfinger

Nevermind (it grew on me)

Dirt (Rooster is incredible, the rest has yet to click with me)

I might place Superunknown above all of these. Goodness sakes. It's relentless.

• Like 1

All great albums but the one that stood out for me and still stands out today is TEN.....PEARL JAM
  • Like 2

So for the first time ever I listened to the debut Soundgarden album, Ultramega OK.

As the title suggests, it's just "OK". Wow, Soundgarden got off to a patchy start compared to their peers! Of The four big grunge bands, they definitely had the least impressive start.

If rank the debuts like this:

1. Ten

2. Facelift

3. Bleach

4. Ultramega OK

Counting other grunge bands, I'd rank Mother Love Bone's Apple, Stone Temple Pilots Core and Temple Of The Dog's debut between Facelift and Bleach. Not sure what order though as those are amazing debuts.

So for the first time ever I listened to the debut Soundgarden album, Ultramega OK.

As the title suggests, it's just "OK". Wow, Soundgarden got off to a patchy start compared to their peers! Of The four big grunge bands, they definitely had the least impressive start.

1. Ten

2. Facelift

3. Bleach

4. Ultramega OK

Counting other grunge bands, I'd rank Mother Love Bone's Apple, Stone Temple Pilots Core and Temple Of The Dog's debut between Facelift and Bleach. Not sure what order though as those are amazing debuts.

I might even go with that order if you consider Louder Than Love Soundgarden's debut. Or it could swap with Facelift. Right now I'm listening to all Cornell all the time, but Facelift is so great.

1. Ten

2. Facelift

3. Bleach

4. Ultramega OK

I might even go with that order if you consider Louder Than Love Soundgarden's debut. Or it could swap with Facelift. Right now I'm listening to all Cornell all the time, but Facelift is so great.

If UM OK hasn't put them on the map with Grammy nominations and what appears to be rather substantial media coverage (for a then underground release, I'd happily consider overlooking it.

But I can't lol.

Ultramega OK is a hilarious title.

I was listening to it thinking it lives up to its own hype haha

I have worked out why Soundgardens albums don't have quite the same impact as individual songs.

They are so damn long.

Not saying that's bad...but overall I do get a bit restless about three quarters into most of their work.

Badmotorfinger is emerging as the one I enjoy the most. Was always my second but now...likely first.

• Like 1

The best from each band, ranked:

Vs (tough not to include Ten)

Jar of Flies (tough not to include Dirt)

Superunknown (though Badmotorfinger has my favorite songs)

Nevermind

My ranking stays the same even with the OP's selections.

So the Singles soundtrack is really affordable in a deluxe edition in my local record store. I plan to get the movie this week and then the soundtrack, both on Friday.

I really look forward to it! I also finally want to see Almost Famous. Stopped and started it too many times before!

• Like 1

Nevermind

Jar of Flies, better than Dirt? :o

Interesting.

• Like 1

Nevermind

Interesting.

I kind of like Facelift the most of all they've done...

I would give Facelift and Jar of Flies both 9/10s...but I would give Dirt a 12/10, if it were possible.

I'm gonna go one step further and say those first three albums, two EPs and unplugged records are 9-13/10's.

• Like 3

I would give Facelift and Jar of Flies both 9/10s...but I would give Dirt a 12/10, if it were possible.

I'm gonna go one step further and say those first three albums, two EPs and unplugged records are 9-13/10's.

:P

• Like 1

It's too early for me to rank Alice In Chains but I cannot praise them highly enough.

Also a coupe of weeks ago I mentioned I could hear a lot of Kings X in Alice In Chains sound. The latest Classic Rock has a brilliant article/interview with KX and it mentions AIC were huge fans.

I can tell.

Nevermind

Interesting.

It's a totally different sound and mood for me, and it's one I find myself in more as an old man. The first 6 songs (does the last song even count) are just perfect in my eyes. It also has a special place in my heart as Don't Follow was the first song I learned to play on guitar.

• Like 2

Nevermind

Interesting.

It's a totally different sound and mood for me, and it's one I find myself in more as an old man. The first 6 songs (does the last song even count) are just perfect in my eyes. It also has a special place in my heart as Don't Follow was the first song I learned to play on guitar.

Don't Follow is great. My favorite off the EP.