Cygnus X-1 Vinyl

Tony R

Was planning on sitting out record store day this year. Guess that's not happening.

Agreed. It's a little harder for me these days to browse through my favorite used record store that usually participates in record day but I've made arrangements to go this year with a friend (who is also a big Rush fan) to get one of these.

Closest one to me is about an hour away and they start lining up at 6 a.m.

Not how I wanted to spend that day, but it easily beats paying $100 on ebay. It's been a while since I've treated myself to a record safari anyway so I'll just make a day of it.

• Like 1

no where in the song does it say that the rocinante isn't a cork.

Song calls it a Ship so it's probably a corkship. . Like when a bottle of wine is romantically interested in another bottle of wine, there's usually a corkship that follows.. haha no :P

Song calls it a Ship so it's probably a corkship. . Like when a bottle of wine is romantically interested in another bottle of wine, there's usually a corkship that follows.. haha no :P

:LOL:

That's so bad it's good.

• Like 1

:LOL:

That's so bad it's good.

Doesn't look like Hugh Syme's best work, that's for sure. Of course at this point, the band may want humor.

• Like 1

Today I pre-ordered the Cygnus X-1 vinyl record at my local record store!

Lucky you! None of my local record stores will let me do that and there are three or so I can go to. All of them said strictly first come first serve. I just hope my MS isn't to bad that day so I can go get one.

...and I'm sure you meant to say "vinyl store" and not "record store".

������������������

Hope you can make it Mr. JD. :cheers:

My local vinyl LP, record dealer :AlienSmiley: said he can pre-order it, but with a limitation to 5,000 he can't give me a guarantee, that he really gets the acceptance. Screw that, the chance to get one is to attractive, so I placed my order. :sundog:

• Like 3

Lucky you! None of my local record stores will let me do that and there are three or so I can go to. All of them said strictly first come first serve. I just hope my MS isn't to bad that day so I can go get one.

������������������

Well, I am a good customer, so he give me lots of good deals! I am there 2-3 times a week.

And vinyl store is wrong -.- The store is not made out of vinyl!

������������������

That's pretty much how it goes where I am.

There was a store where I became friends with the owner, but it was a very small independent store and their Record Store Day orders never got totally filled.

There was no guarantee of anything. These days I take matters into my own hands and put the work in if I need something.

• Like 3

Just got my copy of this beauty... :AlienSmiley: :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/DSCN3526_zpslmwbzobm.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/DSCN3525_zps9zzf619z.jpg

• Like 4

Serious question. Why would I want these? Are they different from the tunes on ATFK and Hemispheres?

Is it just for the collectible value? To be a completist? Nah.

I asked myself the same question, and my answer was " because i can"
  • Like 1

Serious question. Why would I want these? Are they different from the tunes on ATFK and Hemispheres?

But are they just the album tracks in a different package?

Pretty much. It wasn't expensive though ($20 for me). I mean unless you have to get it from one of these terrible ebay leaches. It's a nice to have, more than a need to have.

Pretty much. It wasn't expensive though ($20 for me). I mean unless you have to get it from one of these terrible ebay leaches. It's a nice to have, more than a need to have.

I'm assuming these are the same masters as the recent 2015 vinyl reissues? (Haven't opened mine yet.)

Not super enthused about the liner notes but it's kind of neat to have both songs officially ordered like this. (Even though there was no intention at the start to have two pieces linked like that even though that's how it eventually played out.) Hugh Syme has been disappointing me a bit lately with his digital work and it doesn't look like he spent a lot of time on these. Would have liked them to use live tracks for this. A gatefold would have been great too since both of the albums these came from were gatefolds originally but I'm sure the label wanted to do this on the cheap.

I think The Garden picture disc is my favorite Record Store Day release or maybe the T-shirt. (The Caravan 7 inch red/white vinyl is right up there too I guess.)

• Like 1

I'm assuming these are the same masters as the recent 2015 vinyl reissues? (Haven't opened mine yet.)

Not super enthused about the liner notes but it's kind of neat to have both songs officially ordered like this. (Even though there was no intention at the start to have two pieces linked like that even though that's how it eventually played out.) Hugh Syme has been disappointing me a bit lately with his digital work and it doesn't look like he spent a lot of time on these. Would have liked them to use live tracks for this. A gatefold would have been great too since both of the albums these came from were gatefolds originally but I'm sure the label wanted to do this on the cheap.

I think The Garden picture disc is my favorite Record Store Day release or maybe the T-shirt. (The Caravan 7 inch red/white vinyl is right up there too I guess.)

I'm listening to it now and it does sound like the 2015 vinyl master. It's not my preferred mastering, but it sounds very clear with a nice EQ on my system. I kind of like the tracks together like this. It feels right to me. I'm not the biggest fan of picture discs so my vote goes to the Caravan/BU2B single, for best RUSH RSD release. I think the Book I art looks cheesy, but I actually find the Jar Of Brain art to be pretty cool.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

Does anybody know where i can find the t shirt for sale?

The "different package" is why I bought it. Getting new Hugh Syme original album art on a Rush release doesn't happen very often any more.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 2

I'm listening to it now and it does sound like the 2015 vinyl master. It's not my preferred mastering, but it sounds very clear with a nice EQ on my system. I kind of like the tracks together like this. It feels right to me. I'm not the biggest fan of picture discs so my vote goes to the Caravan/BU2B single, for best RUSH RSD release. I think the Book I art looks cheesy, but I actually find the Jar Of Brain art to be pretty cool.

I'm the opposite. I thought the brain jar was kind of cliche and lazy while the "Stick a cork in it" art is some pretty funny end of career art.

• Like 1

Does anybody know where i can find the t shirt for sale?

Did you say you bought one of those on ebay for some insane price?