The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?

Texas King

The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. The Black Crowes or Pearl Jam?

• The Black Crowes
    • Pearl Jam

Black Cowes wrote great music. From the heart. Honestly ReRushed great music doesn't have to be innovative to be excellent and Black Crowes are one of the most outstanding bands I have ever come across. Just great song after great song. They made a lasting career and have many fans, and really, in all honesty Pearl Jam are great but they don't exactly have the most consistent discography. Black Crowes do.

OK. Again, my point isn't to persuade. Like what you like. I just find the Black Crowes to be a very derivative band.

That's hilarious to read on a RUSH forum.

How so? Are you saying Rush is as blatantly derivative as the Black Crowes?

They are. What...exactly...is the "Rush sound". They've always sounded like what's current.

I'll give you Zep on the first album. Otherwise, other than incorporating new styles, where do they sound like other bands? Are you saying you can confuse "The Enemy Within" with the Police? Or "Everyday Glory" with U2? I never felt that Rush was a band that originated a trend or style. I always felt they went with the flow, so to speak. But, I never felt they were derivative to the point of unoriginality. I don't feel that way about the Black Crowes. I remember when they came out in the early 1990s and thinking they were a tribute band. Now, that doesn't mean they weren't capable of having a good song. They were never my thing, that's all.

I wonder if their first hit weren't Hard to Handle if you'd still feel that way.

The band grew up a ton between Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony, and again between Southern Harmony and Amorica.

They are not my thing. I don't go out of my way to listen to them, but I heard enough and watched enough videos to reach the conclusion that they aped their influences. Now, it's not my opinion that they are bad at doing it, they are good at what they do, nostalgia and tribute. Like 'em all you want. I simply find them derivative and unoriginal.

Every time you make statements like this, it makes me think of early Beatles. Anyway, I don't see them aping anybody after their first album...they have their influences, which are many, and they blend them into something more.

Black Cowes wrote great music. From the heart. Honestly ReRushed great music doesn't have to be innovative to be excellent and Black Crowes are one of the most outstanding bands I have ever come across. Just great song after great song. They made a lasting career and have many fans, and really, in all honesty Pearl Jam are great but they don't exactly have the most consistent discography. Black Crowes do.

OK. Again, my point isn't to persuade. Like what you like. I just find the Black Crowes to be a very derivative band.

They are. What...exactly...is the "Rush sound". They've always sounded like what's current.

I'll give you Zep on the first album. Otherwise, other than incorporating new styles, where do they sound like other bands? Are you saying you can confuse "The Enemy Within" with the Police? Or "Everyday Glory" with U2? I never felt that Rush was a band that originated a trend or style. I always felt they went with the flow, so to speak. But, I never felt they were derivative to the point of unoriginality. I don't feel that way about the Black Crowes. I remember when they came out in the early 1990s and thinking they were a tribute band. Now, that doesn't mean they weren't capable of having a good song. They were never my thing, that's all.

I wonder if their first hit weren't Hard to Handle if you'd still feel that way.

The band grew up a ton between Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony, and again between Southern Harmony and Amorica.

They are not my thing. I don't go out of my way to listen to them, but I heard enough and watched enough videos to reach the conclusion that they aped their influences. Now, it's not my opinion that they are bad at doing it, they are good at what they do, nostalgia and tribute. Like 'em all you want. I simply find them derivative and unoriginal.

Every time you make statements like this, it makes me think of early Beatles. Anyway, I don't see them aping anybody after their first album...they have their influences, which are many, and they blend them into something more.

Every time you make statements like this, it makes me think you know nothing about the early Beatles.

Every time you make statements like this, it makes me think you know nothing about the early Beatles.

Ditto for you. Truly a fanatic more than a fan.

Educate me.

Educate me.

We've done this dance before. 3 of the first 4 albums are almost completely derivative, filled with almost half covers and things that sounded like bubble gum pop that everyone else was making. Help! Is the first real Beatles album to me.

Educate me.

We've done this dance before. 3 of the first 4 albums are almost completely derivative, filled with almost half covers and things that sounded like bubble gum pop that everyone else was making. Help! Is the first real Beatles album to me.

OK. This explains a lot. Thanks.

Having just come off 2 back to back listens of Freak and Roll from the Black Crows, Live 2006 I'm going to have to go with the Black Crows... man that album is just pure / energy / emotion / passion from start to finish. Very very tight band on this night.
  • Like 1

I think PJ is one of the most over rated bands ever. Darlings of the critics and enemies of the "man" are 2 reasons they were so popular. Their music, i find very dull.

Black Crowes do very little for me either, but they rocked harder, so i would choose them.

• Like 2

I don't think these bands relate all that much, other than their mutual penchant for calling on classic album rock. Pearl Jam harnessed The Who and Neil Young. The Black Crowes summoned Humble Pie, The Faces, and The Stones. Other than that, two totally different bands.

I like Pearl Jam as much as the next guy, but The Black Crowes are my favorite band of all time. I'm sure that is a head-scratching omission from someone who likes Rush enough to join an Internet forum, but it's true. If you only know Shake Your Money Maker, do yourself a favor and explore their output from 92-97, including the shelved Band album. They almost became a different band on their second album, after taking on a full-time, seasoned keyboardist from the Chicago blues scene and a new, and still criminally underrated, lead guitarist who brought a certain Mick Taylor heart and soul to his jaw-dropping lead work. That run of albums, beginning with The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, is incredible.

The Black Crowes are unfairly remembered as a very derivative band and a drug band. (Okay, the drug band part is fair.) But on their second record they quickly took a left turn into their own sound. Really soulful music in the great tradition of Leon Russell's Tulsa Sound that marries rock and roll with folk and Southern gospel. Great drummer. Great guitar interplay. And a great classic rock frontman with a distinctive, powerful voice--one of the last. Robinson carried the torch of Robert Plant, Steve Marriot, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger--brash, confident, narcissistic, irritating, in the best way.

A great and greatly misunderstood and underappreciated American rock band that absolutely killed live during their peak.

• Like 5

For me the Crowes were great til about '96.

Pearl Jam has been great since '96.

The avocado album is a gem

• Like 4

A great and greatly misunderstood and underappreciated American rock band that absolutely killed live during their peak.

Underrated/appreciated? Perhaps.

'Better' than Pearl Jam? Not on a single measurable or subjective level. None.

Having just come off 2 back to back listens of Freak and Roll from the Black Crows, Live 2006 I'm going to have to go with the Black Crows... man that album is just pure / energy / emotion / passion from start to finish. Very very tight band on this night.

Very very tight band on almost every night! ;)

They had their 'off' shows, too, but they were very, very few and far between.

• Like 1

I don't think these bands relate all that much, other than their mutual penchant for calling on classic album rock. Pearl Jam harnessed The Who and Neil Young. The Black Crowes summoned Humble Pie, The Faces, and The Stones. Other than that, two totally different bands.

I like Pearl Jam as much as the next guy, but The Black Crowes are my favorite band of all time. I'm sure that is a head-scratching omission from someone who likes Rush enough to join an Internet forum, but it's true. If you only know Shake Your Money Maker, do yourself a favor and explore their output from 92-97, including the shelved Band album. They almost became a different band on their second album, after taking on a full-time, seasoned keyboardist from the Chicago blues scene and a new, and still criminally underrated, lead guitarist who brought a certain Mick Taylor heart and soul to his jaw-dropping lead work. That run of albums, beginning with The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, is incredible.

The Black Crowes are unfairly remembered as a very derivative band and a drug band. (Okay, the drug band part is fair.) But on their second record they quickly took a left turn into their own sound. Really soulful music in the great tradition of Leon Russell's Tulsa Sound that marries rock and roll with folk and Southern gospel. Great drummer. Great guitar interplay. And a great classic rock frontman with a distinctive, powerful voice--one of the last. Robinson carried the torch of Robert Plant, Steve Marriot, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger--brash, confident, narcissistic, irritating, in the best way.

:goodone:

I've been sick for most of the past week, and haven't been able to articulate much of anything...but this post does it for me.

For me personally when someone wants to hear some Black Crowes, I play them 3 songs...

1. Thorn in my Pride, Studio, 1992 from Southern Harmony (One of my favourite songs from any band ever),

2. My morning song Live from 2006, Freak and Roll and

3. their version of Led Zeps Nobody's fault my mine from their 1999 live at the Greek album with Jimmy Page...

I think their is enough emotion, passion, energy and sincerity there to help make a decision to be investigate further.

While I really like Pearl Jam as well, their just something about the Black Crowes that gets to me at a more emotional level.

And over the years Steve Gorman has just impressed me as a drummer, his feeling and timing is just sooooo good.

Edited by Duke1

Educate me.

How about this: Their harmonies and vocal phrasing were innovative, but their music, intially, was not.

Educate me.

How about this: Their harmonies and vocal phrasing were innovative, but their music, intially, was not.

This should be its own thread. Anyway, I think LedRush's numbers are a bit off regarding the percentage of cover songs in the early Beatles discography. I'd put the amount of cover songs around 1/3 of the catalogue. Cover songs were the nature of the beast in the late fifties/early sixties in order to pad LPs. Also, calling their music bubblegum pop several years before the genre even existed is inaccurate, check out the Billboard 100 for 1964. Nothing sounded like the Beatles, except for the bands and artists that jumped on the coattails. Big hits like "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" are very innovative in their arrangements and musicality. The Beatles made the impact they did because they were different and innovative. Sure, they wore their influences on their sleeves, but they obviously put their own spin on rock music. They were the band that landed at JKF in 1964. They weren't the only band or artist to shake things up, but they were the first through the door.

Pearl Jam is all time favorite.

Black Crowes had some good music back in the 90s. Too bad Chris' ego ruined it. He did to them what Liam did to Oasis.

The Crowes had some good music in the 2000s, too. Listen to Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze.

(Or actually, for you Pearl Jam fans, maybe you'll like Lions the most; I don't know).

I think Chris's ego broke them up. But that didn't happen until 2014-15. I do not think his ego damaged the quality of their music. Quite the opposite, really.

• Like 2

Pearl Jam is all time favorite.

Black Crowes had some good music back in the 90s. Too bad Chris' ego ruined it. He did to them what Liam did to Oasis.

The Crowes had some good music in the 2000s, too. Listen to Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze.

(Or actually, for you Pearl Jam fans, maybe you'll like Lions the most; I don't know).

I think Chris's ego broke them up. But that didn't happen until 2014-15. I do not think his ego damaged the quality of their music. Quite the opposite, really.

Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze... 2 great albums right there. Their debut, Southern Harmony and these two would be my four favourites of theirs, plus the live one with Jimmy Page in 1999 and Freak and Roll Live in 2006.

I really enjoy 10 and V's from Pearl Jam.

• Like 2