Whats's your guilty music secret?

madra sneachta

We all have them. songs we know have zero artistic merit, song we should refuse to listen to, but can't help loving.

Mine include -

Eiffel 65 - Blue

The Wombles - Remember You're a Womble (A friend found this in my collection years ago and still extracts the liquid bodily waste)

Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby

and more recently -

Scissor Sisters - Confortably Numb (I want to hate it, I should hate it, but I can't. Every time I re-listen to check whether or not I've begun to hate it, my foot starts tapping, the volume goes up and I'm singing along like a castrated chipmunk)

biggrin.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 7 2004, 06:49 AM)
My guilty musical secret is KISS. I've loved them from the time I was 8. My wife still makes wisecracks whenever I put on KISS Alive II and crank up Shock Me.

Snowdog, I was a HUGE Kiss fan back in the day, and I still listen to them.

My guilty music would be I can still get into S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! by the Bay City Rollers, and I happen to like the song "I Believe in Love" by the Darkness. I can't listen to it every day, but I don't turn it off either.

Oh, and I freely admit to LOVING 80's Hair Band music rofl3.gif

Really!

For some reason, "Skyrockets in flight! Afternoon Delight!" just popped into my head. I've never actually enjoyed listening to it, but if I did, I would sure as heck feel guilty. sad.gif

I guess I just like the idea of the song. (Yeah! Bay-bee Yeah!) tongue.gif wink.gif

Sorry, guys for putting such an evil toon into your heads, and so early in the morning, too! 062802puke_prv.gif

waffen093.gif Shoot me for that but I love this ones:

Robin Gibb - Juliet.

OMD - Maid of Orleans

Julee Cruise - Falling (more known as the main theme from Twin Peaks)

Roy Orbison - Drive all night

But this is the worst of all

DJ Bombay - Calcutta

Hey I like KISS. I saw them in 1994.

They Might Be Giants, Johnny Cash, Roger Miller, Bobby Darin, Statler Brothers.

'Countin' flowers on the wall,

that don't bother me at all.

Playin' solitaire 'til dawn,

with a deck of fifty-one.

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo,

now don't tell me I've nothin' to do.'

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 7 2004, 10:09 AM)

I grew up listening to the Statler Bros., Charley Pride, Chet Atkins...and my dad LOVED Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. LOL That song brings back a lot of memories!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 7 2004, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 7 2004, 10:09 AM)

I grew up listening to the Statler Bros., Charley Pride, Chet Atkins...and my dad LOVED Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. LOL That song brings back a lot of memories!

Yeah, same here. I spent my youth loathing that music, but found myself beginning to embrace it a few years ago.

It means we're getting OLD, Jack! smile.gif It really freaked me out to realize that I didn't hate listening to Chet Atkins play at all...plus the fact that Steve Howe of Yes actually likes Chet's music. It's like, me and my dad had something in COMMON.

WEIRD, wacky stuff. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (yoda @ Oct 7 2004, 04:18 PM)
my song is pina cladas or some thing like that love the guitar solo in that song trink36.gif

Yoda, that song is called "Escape - The Pina Colada Song" by Rupert Holmes.

"If you like Pina Colada's

and getting caught in the rain"

BTW Jack, I hardly think the Man in Black counts as music of no artistic merit. He was a genius in my book RIP.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 7 2004, 11:51 AM)
BTW Jack, I hardly think the Man in Black counts as music of no artistic merit. He was a genius in my book RIP.

Very true, my apologies.

If we're talking artists with no real merit, I don't think Patsy Cline fits that either. I was thinking more along the lines of someone you MIGHT be a bit embarrassed about liking, you know, what with the reputation for liking ROCK music I've built up...

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Hey Mickey - Toni Basil

I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

How's that for a list to be embarassed about...

What about Christmas music? I have at least 25 Christmas CDs. Kids, rock, traditional, classical

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 7 2004, 12:48 PM)
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Hey Mickey - Toni Basil
I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

How's that for a list to be embarassed about...

What about Christmas music? I have at least 25 Christmas CDs. Kids, rock, traditional, classical

I love the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD's!

Trance and Ambient

For some reason I am a closet Trance Girl, not so much the Ambient. Love Trance Fury, Space Girl, Tamir Peleg, Tyrantantic, DJ Liquid, DJ Zealot and such.

I really like to Ambient when I am falling asleep, totally relaxing!

QUOTE (pixey @ Oct 7 2004, 01:32 PM)
Trance and Ambient

For some reason I am a closet Trance Girl, not so much the Ambient. Love Trance Fury, Space Girl, Tamir Peleg, Tyrantantic, DJ Liquid, DJ Zealot and such.

I really like to Ambient when I am falling asleep, totally relaxing!

Ever listen to Engima?

Nothing embarrasing about ambient, in fact it is my favourite form of music, especially Eno, Budd, Brook, Hassell etc.

My most embarrassing music is A-ha. "Take on me" may make you shudder in a bad 1980's kind of way, but they really did do some great stuff. The funny thing here is that my embarassing music is Rush and Yes, well according to my friends anyway. I'm not ashamed of Rush, but I get a hard time for liking them. Go figure.

Archived