Whats's your guilty music secret?

madra sneachta

Let me say right at the start that I'm not embarassed about any of these, however, some may think I should be:

We'll Be With - The Potters/Stoke City Supporters Club

Most early Tubeway Army/Gary Numan albums/singles

Dare - Human League

Turtle Power - Partners in Kryme

Crazy Horses - The Osmonds

Once More With Feeling (OST) - buffy the Vampir Slayer Cast

Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam and the Ants

Most of the cringeworthy stuff in our collection actually belongs to my wife (Justin Timberlake, Boyzone, East 17) but she des like some decent stuff ( haven't managed to convert her to Rush yet though).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (orczy @ Oct 7 2004, 02:11 PM)
Nothing embarrasing about ambient, in fact it is my favourite form of music, especially Eno, Budd, Brook, Hassell etc.
My most embarrassing music is A-ha. "Take on me" may make you shudder in a bad 1980's kind of way, but they really did do some great stuff. The funny thing here is that my embarassing music is Rush and Yes, well according to my friends anyway. I'm not ashamed of Rush, but I get a hard time for liking them. Go figure.

Hi orczy! Have you perchance seen the new Yes Acoustic dvd? I watched it last night...pretty neat stuff. The best part? The "Behind the Scenes" rehearsal footage narrated by the most excellent Rick Wakeman. He had me rolling on the floor---this guy is HILARIOUS.

Watch it if you get a chance!

When I was young my thoughts about music were pretty shallow. If it didn't JAM HARD then it was wussy music. In the 80's when MTV was getting started and bands like a flock of seagulls and the clash would come on, I hated it. But now I can listen to it sometimes, I guess it just brings back memories.

But...Theres a few bands that I like that a lot of rush fans probably wouldn't. (I may be wrong though)

Avril Lavigne - She's talented, she has an attitude but oh well, her talent and good voice makes up for it.

Master P - I'm not a big rapper but I liked some of the old gangsta rap from Master P and the T.R.U. soldiers with silk the shocker.

Snoop D.O.G.G - I just think he's cool and his voice is so different that you can tell if it's him as soon as you hear his voice. He's laid back, he seems like a cool guy I could hang out with or something.

George Jones - The country legend. (but I hate country??but.. I just respect ol George)

Third Eye Blind - "Semi charmed life", "Graduate", "Jumper", "Thanks a lot" ALL GREAT SONGS!!!......I don't know why but I love this band. they had a couple killer CD's but they didn't get as big as I thought they would, Oh well, I like Em confused13.gif

RR, Never really listened to Enya. I usually listen to stuff like Ambient Generation and Lifeform. Amazon.com has tons of free downloads on every type of music so I get alot from there. None of it is prolly from big name artists.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 7 2004, 11:44 AM)
It means we're getting OLD, Jack! smile.gif It really freaked me out to realize that I didn't hate listening to Chet Atkins play at all...plus the fact that Steve Howe of Yes actually likes Chet's music. It's like, me and my dad had something in COMMON.

WEIRD, wacky stuff. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I grew up listening to Chet, he's one of my dad's Idols smile.gif If you listen to my dad play you can hear Chet's intricate finger picking style in his own style of playing smile.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 7 2004, 08:30 PM)
Most early Tubeway Army/Gary Numan albums/singles

The night before Rush at Birmingham NEC, I went to see Numan in the Birmingham Academy.

No Cars, but he played Are Friends Electric, We Are Glass, I Die You Die, Remind Me To Smile, and a great version of Fadeout 1930. Fantastic gig.

QUOTE (pixey @ Oct 7 2004, 05:01 PM)
RR, Never really listened to Enya. I usually listen to stuff like Ambient Generation and Lifeform. Amazon.com has tons of free downloads on every type of music so I get alot from there. None of it is prolly from big name artists.

Not Enya. ENIGMA.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 7 2004, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 7 2004, 12:48 PM)
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Hey Mickey - Toni Basil
I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

How's that for a list to be embarassed about...

What about Christmas music?  I have at least 25 Christmas CDs.  Kids, rock, traditional, classical

I love the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD's!

Ditto!! I have all 4 of them (I think there are 4) ??? unsure.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Oct 7 2004, 09:09 AM)
For some reason, "Skyrockets in flight! Afternoon Delight!" just popped into my head. I've never actually enjoyed listening to it, but if I did, I would sure as heck feel guilty.  sad.gif

I guess I just like the idea of the song. (Yeah! Bay-bee Yeah!)  tongue.gif  wink.gif 

Sorry, guys for putting such an evil toon into your heads, and so early in the morning, too!  062802puke_prv.gif

The Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight

Patsy Cline - BRILLIANT! (You guys should hear LakesideMaiden do "Crazy")

Hey GG, LM & I grew up with the same stuff! Everly Bros. Anne Murray... We are both country fans, REAL country mind you, not Shania or the other pop-crossovers.

We grew up listening to Jazz, Old time R&R (Chuck Berry style) Country, Blues, and Classical.

Chet, as my sister said, is one of my Dad's all time favorites. Along with Jerry Reed, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, (stay LM, Stay! No *THUDS* now...) Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, & Andres Segovia, just to name a few. I won't go off on an "influences" jagg here, these are just a few of the guitarists, Vocals are another track entirely. (no pun intended) wink.gif

You could say we have a well rounded raising in the different genres of music.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 7 2004, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Oct 7 2004, 05:01 PM)

Not Enya. ENIGMA.

Not them either. wacko.gif sorry I am a lil off this week.

Love the 80's music. I like Enigma, Enya, all sorts of stuff, I don't have the time or will power to jot them all down...

but my most guilty pleasure....*wispering* duran duran

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Oct 7 2004, 09:47 PM)
Love the 80's music.  I like Enigma, Enya, all sorts of stuff, I don't have the time or will power to jot them all down...

AGP, all I can say to that is:

Nick & John in the "Hungry Like The Wolf" video...

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

I'm trying to think of what I listen to that I could call a guilty pleasure. I've got cds from some bands that I used to listen to a lot if not exclusivly when I was younger (Sublime, Metallica), but a good 85-90% of my collection is of music that I could still pop in the cd at any given moment if I feel like it.

BTW, I'm not really a Duran Duran fan, but I did like when they did A View To A Kill. Also a-ha's piece with The Living Daylights was enjoyable too.

Sorry to be such a weirdo but all the music I like, I am not ashamed of tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Oct 7 2004, 08:47 PM)
Love the 80's music. I like Enigma, Enya, all sorts of stuff, I don't have the time or will power to jot them all down...

"Girls on film" is a GREAT video.

I even like "My name is Rio"

Archived