Do you think....

Lorraine

I don't think it would be a reflection on the quality of bands today. I just think people are different.

Attention span?

Never underestimate the power of obsession

I don't know. If I saw a band once in concert, I thought it was enough. Some of these fans have seen Rush over 100 times.

• Like 4

I'm not a fanatic as some.

I knew once I bought tickets for R40 it was probably the last tour I would see. I'm a realist.

I planned on seeing them once and lucked out I was in a town they were playing on the 2nd show.

I would never travel to see them again. I also thinks this was them pouring their hearts out.

Another tour might seem forced. But to me personally if they tour again I'm out.

If the record again I'm probably out. Have not enjoyed any record this century for more than a few plays.

The band changed and that's fine, but for me, they grew in ways that was not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

In the documentary, there's a man from Argentina. He says, if I understood correctly, the no matter what is going on - even if it is a family or financial crisis - if Rush is going on tour, they drop everything and go. No matter what. That's the kind of loyalty I'm talking about.

I don't think it would be a reflection on the quality of bands today. I just think people are different.

Attention span?

Never underestimate the power of obsession

I don't know. If I saw a band once in concert, I thought it was enough. Some of these fans have seen Rush over 100 times.

I've only seen Rush 6 times (starting from age 10) between '83 to '07...and it definitely wasn't enough. However, I don't care about bootlegs, Rush clothing & accessories, and the sort. I have no desire to make a Rush cave. I haven't even heard R40 yet, and I don't feel too pressed to do so. But I also climbed a not too easy to reach Chinese mountain for a Rush song I don't care too much about. I'm a big time fan but not really yet I definitely am all at once.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Not necessarily. Phish, jimmy buffet, 311, ICP all have their own insane and loyal fan bases right now so I think it will continue. As much a s rush has meant to me I'm forced to admit I'm not a super fan like the people in the movie. My family budget is never at risk because rush went on tour. As much as I wanted to fly to LA to see the last show I have enough self control to say no.
  • Like 3

Well there are younger bands likely do have cult followings. I met people that dedicated huge amounts of time to following the band Ghost to every show in America. These people stayed behind at every show to meet the band for a few moments night after night. Newer bands do have loyal enduring fanbases, but they may not be easy to spot unless they have great success or they've been around for a while.

I wasn't around for pre-2000's Rush. Were people as well aware of Rush's enduring fanbase in the 70's, 80's, 90's? Or is this more of a recent thing people picked up on?

Well there are younger bands likely do have cult followings. I met people that dedicated huge amounts of time to following the band Ghost to every show in America. These people stayed behind at every show to meet the band for a few moments night after night. Newer bands do have loyal enduring fanbases, but they may not be easy to spot unless they have great success or they've been around for a while.

I wasn't around for pre-2000's Rush. Were people as well aware of Rush's enduring fanbase in the 70's, 80's, 90's? Or is this more of a recent thing people picked up on?

That's a good question. Speaking only for myself, I never met a Rush fan in person in my life, and I'm from the NYC metro area, and I didn't live a hermit existence.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The Rolling Stones.

People still travel from all over the globe to see them... I'm one of those people and haven't missed a US tour since '72 ( Well, up until three weeks ago when they canceled the Las Vegas show ).

For me it's a family thing and I see every Stones show with my sister. She got me into them back in 1966.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 5

The Rolling Stones.

People still travel from all over the globe to see them... I'm one of those people and haven't missed a US tour since '72 ( Well, up until three weeks ago when they canceled the Las Vegas show ).

For me it's a family thing and I see every Stones show with my sister. She got me into them back in 1966.

That's pretty cool about it being a family experience.

I am sooo out of touch with the music scene and have been for sooo long I honestly wouldn't know. The only experience I have is my now very adult children and as far as I can tell they have zero allegiance to any band...
  • Like 2

In the documentary, there's a man from Argentina. He says, if I understood correctly, the no matter what is going on - even if it is a family or financial crisis - if Rush is going on tour, they drop everything and go. No matter what. That's the kind of loyalty I'm talking about.

As much as we like to think that's just special to Rush's fanbase, there are plenty of bands that have fans like that. Both old and new bands inspire that kind of devotion. I remembering reading an interview with James Hetfield of Metallica where he says that they've been seeing a lot of the same fans showing up at their shows for years. Including some fans that got into them back in the early 80s when they were just a small club band.

Yes, Rush fans are a very loyal bunch. But that loyalty is not exclusive to them.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I think the bigger question is what band who HAD a huge following but has been dormant for years still has THAT fanbase??

We live in a world where everyone gets back together even with some of the members, etc...That is a hard question to ask.

I will use Led Zep as a 'WE walked away forever' band.

When they quit, they quit. Now they still had fans, because they were so FM radio based, but I never met a Led Zep fanatic.

There have been rumors for years about a reunion tour...but would those fans be fans FROM the 1970's or just people going to see a piece of history??

People find other things of importance. Like Narps said, kids and grown kids today have no loyalty towards a band because they grew up in a CD/ download world....it's just songs...

• Like 3

As much as we like to think that's just special to Rush's fanbase, there are plenty of bands that have fans like that. Both old and new bands inspire that kind of devotion. I remembering reading an interview with James Hetfield of Metallica where he says that they've been seeing a lot of the same fans showing up at their shows for years. Including some fans that got into them back in the early 80s when they were just a small club band.

Yes, Rush fans are a very loyal bunch. But that loyalty is not exclusive to them.

I am sorry I gave the impression that I thought it was just Rush that had loyal fans. I don't. Just was wondering if any band today will have the same fans in forty years. If the band even lasts forty years itself.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I am sorry I gave the impression that I thought it was just Rush that had loyal fans. I don't. Just was wondering if any band today will have the same fans in forty years. If the band even lasts forty years itself.

The answer to this is few if any. The band would have to be special to a large group of people and that is hard to do, in a no radio support, so many options world. Reverse the equation. Name 10 bands that STARTED 1995 or later who still sell records and still sell concert tickets and have done so without a large hiatus. Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews??? Do they have fanatics??

Probably. Most likely.....but Matchbox 20 does not

To get to 10, you really have to think. But we can probably think of 30 bands who started in 1975 or later who still tour and sell tickets.

• Like 2

I'm sure there are bands today that will have that kind of fanbase 40 years from now if they make it that far. They wouldn't make it that long in today's music business without that loyalty. As to what bands those could be? That's a bit tougher to call. Since we're talking about them being around 40 years from now, they would obviously be a much newer band just starting out.

• Like 1

I think fans of bands are as obsessive and loyal as ever, they're just splintered into many more different groups and fanbases than in the 70s, like the rock music scene in general nowadays. When you find an MCR fan, they love that band almost literally to the death. Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Muse (one of my ultimate favs as you know), and just so many others. Fans are as or more obsessive and life-long than ever, they just don't all gather round the same band.
  • Like 2