2016-17 NHL Season Thread

blueschica

That's true but I think I will go with Nashville, nice to see a new team get a shot at the Cup. Plus I am sooo tired of the slobbering over Crosby, he's a great player but sheesh. :eyeroll:

One thing for sure, my eyes are going to get real tired of bright yellow!! :eh: Go Preds! :hockey:

Good post...

I will cheer for the underdog...

• Like 1

That's true but I think I will go with Nashville, nice to see a new team get a shot at the Cup. Plus I am sooo tired of the slobbering over Crosby, he's a great player but sheesh. :eyeroll:

One thing for sure, my eyes are going to get real tired of bright yellow!! :eh: Go Preds! :hockey:

If Nashville wins, it will give hope to all the other teams in the league, proving that anything is possible. Philadelphia was in a similar place in 2010, but they couldn't make that last step, thankfully. :) I'm just not sure if all the key injuries won't finally catch up with the Predators...
  • Like 1

I hate this 2016-17 season. :facepalm:

why?

Because I have no idea who to root for now. Divisional rival or a team that may catch the Hawks in Stanley Cup wins ever since Toews and Kane showed up on the scene.

Brutal, eh!

Yes. :16ton: vs :16ton:
  • Like 1

why? on Nashville.

Because I have no idea who to root for now. Divisional rival or a team that may catch the Hawks in Stanley Cup wins ever since Toews and Kane showed up on the scene.

In your case, that's easy. In no way do you want the Pens anywhere near your recent success. And it's not like the Preds are a team full of assholes that makes them easy to hate. There are no Crosbys or Kunitzs or Malkins on Nashville. Also, I'd say the Preds are not about to become a dynasty. So, in my opinion, I say GO PREDS.

• Like 4

why? on Nashville.

In your case, that's easy. In no way do you want the Pens anywhere near your recent success. And it's not like the Preds are a team full of assholes that makes them easy to hate. There are no Crosbys or Kunitzs or Malkins on Nashville. Also, I'd say the Preds are not about to become a dynasty. So, in my opinion, I say GO PREDS.

You're probably right. I'll have to play the numbers game. It's just that Nashville people have gotten so cocky, if they win they'll be impossible to live with.
  • Like 1

why? on Nashville.

You're probably right. I'll have to play the numbers game. It's just that Nashville people have gotten so cocky, if they win they'll be impossible to live with.

Fans act that way every year when their team makes it to the final. Nashville is a cool city and not a traditional hockey market so I like that they're getting to enjoy this for once.

The alternative is the Pens winning and watching their fans try to convince everyone that they're a dynasty. :eyeroll:

• Like 2

why? on Nashville.

Fans act that way every year when their team makes it to the final. Nashville is a cool city and not a traditional hockey market so I like that they're getting to enjoy this for once.

The alternative is the Pens winning and watching their fans try to convince everyone that they're a dynasty. :eyeroll:

All right, but the shoe would be on the other foot had the Predators been a part of the Metropolitan and a pesky rival, kinda like the Penguins. ;)

why? on Nashville.

All right, but the shoe would be on the other foot had the Predators been a part of the Metropolitan and a pesky rival, kinda like the Penguins. ;)

Would you say the Preds are a hated rival to the Hawks like the Blues are?

why? on Nashville.

No, not yet. That's why I used the word 'pesky'. And I was never a Blues hater, I'm crazy that way. Minnesota (North Stars) and Detroit always got under my skin more than St. Louis. I just don't want anybody else in my division to win it all. That's why I was rooting for the Ducks, even though they have Kesler and Perry.

why? on Nashville.

No, not yet. That's why I used the word 'pesky'. And I was never a Blues hater, I'm crazy that way. Minnesota (North Stars) and Detroit always got under my skin more than St. Louis. I just don't want anybody else in my division to win it all. That's why I was rooting for the Ducks, even though they have Kesler and Perry.

Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf were enough for me to not want the Ducks in the final.

In the Metro, I hate the Rangers, Caps and Pens. If any of the others had a chance for the Cup I'd be okay with it.

• Like 1

why? on Nashville.

Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf were enough for me to not want the Ducks in the final.

In the Metro, I hate the Rangers, Caps and Pens. If any of the others had a chance for the Cup I'd be okay with it.

With a chance, yes. But I bet winning it would sting a little. Also, the other reason I wanted the Ducks, out of the final four, was because their GM is Bob Murray, mainstay of the Hawks defense in the early 1980's. When Bob and Doug Wilson were on the ice, I wasn't worried about us giving up a goal.

First of all, screw the Pens.

Second of all, here are my predictions:

Predators 4, Penguins 2

The Penguins have depth, yes, but the Predators have something the Penguins don't: a will to win the Cup. The Penguins won last year, and let's be honest: winning the cup this year wouldn't mean as much to them as it would have last year. Another thing about the Penguins is they are tired, while the Predators are not. The Predators haven't been in a Game 7 so far these playoffs, while the Penguins have seen two of them already. The Penguins have had to battle three great teams to get here, which is enough to tire them out. They took down the Blue Jackets easily, but the Blue Jackets were nearly even with them. They took down the Capitals, who won the President's Trophy and were projected to win the Stanley Cup. They took down the Senators after a grueling 7-game series that ended in double overtime. But guess what? The Penguins have had 4 days to rest. The Predators have had an entire week. The Predators took down the Blackhawks in 4, which already shows their dominance. They went on to take down the Blues in 6 and an ambitious Ducks team also in 6. They have not faced elimination in these playoffs even once, so why should they now? On top of this, the Penguins have lost 7 games this postseason out of a possible 9 that would be the bare minimum to still make the Cup Final. This should be a great series though, because it looks very even (even without Ryan Johansen.) It's going to be one hell of a series, I'll tell you that. I say the Predators win Games 1, 3, 4, and 6 (three at home and the opener in Pittsburgh) while the Penguins win games 2 and 5 (I think they will build momentum for only these two games, once after having the initial 1-0 deficit and again when they find themselves down 3-1 in the series). I don't see this going to a Game 7 in Pittsburgh because after having a 3-1 deficit, the Penguins wouldn't be able to pull it even in front of a huge Nashville crowd. And one last final thought I have is the strength the Penguins have gone through vs. the strength the Predators have gone through. The Penguins got to the East Final by beating a Capitals team that barely beat a struggling Maple Leafs team in the first round. They barely beat a Senators team that beat a Rangers team in which the only good player on that team is their goaltender (Henrik Lunqvist). The Predators had to beat a Blackhawks team that has won 3 Stanley Cups in the last 7 years, then a Blues team that- okay, that was probably their one easy series. Then they had to face a Ducks team that has two of the top players in the league (Cory Perry and Ryan Getzlaf). Regardless, I can't wait for this series to start, and may the best team win!

Edited by tony990
  • Like 1

why? on Nashville.

Just think how insufferable the Pens will be if they win and I don't want to see Pierre slobbering all over them

(sorry Blueschica ;) ). So Nashville is hot and on a roll, they have made these playoffs enjoyable for me, even though they made the Blackhawks look awful. Let's hope the Preds can win for the Western Conference. I sure wouldn't be watching if Anaheim got in, they are just as pompous. It will be an exciting final and we can watch some more great games. Let's play hockey!! :hockey: :clap:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

why? on Nashville.

I love it when the smaller market teams make it to the NHL big dance. Last year (actually the last 2 seasons) it was my team up against the "tradition" of the old & established NHL. Unfortunately the Lightning couldn't make the echeloned league stand up and take notice. I think when more of the newer franchises make it to the "big Rink" it makes the market for the whole NHL organization stronger. Nashville is an awesome town and I am glad all the folks in that area have Hockey worthy of growing beards for :D

Go Preds

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2