New here-Clockwork Angels art made by me

StevesRush

Hello there,

My name is Steve and I'm from Holland.

Been a longtime Rushfan for more than 20 years now.

Ever since I bought ''Chronicles'' back in 1990 I'm hooked by these guys.

But not only their music but it also introduced me to the world of prog.

Bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Pendragon, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc follow up quickly.

As you can see below I'm also a graphic designer/art director.

Been working in this business for almost 15 years now and in my freetime I like to make cool cd art for bands (all over the world).

Last week I launched my very first website. I'm a bigtime Hugh Syme fan and love all of his work,

hope someday I can follow in his footsteps, because eventually I want make a living out of this also.

Anyways, nice to be here... check out my website and tell me what you think.

Steve

http://i47.tinypic.com/5by7ip.jpg

My website

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (StevesRush @ Jun 11 2010, 03:53 AM)
Hello there,

Bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Pendragon, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc follow up quickly.

Been working in this business for almost 15 years now and in my freetime I like to make cool cd art for bands (all over the world).

Last week I launched my very first website. I'm a bigtime Hugh Syme fan and love all of his work,
hope someday I can follow in his footsteps, because eventually I want make a living out of this also.

Steve

My website

I think that's fantastic work.

You should do some cover art for Riverside.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Welcome aboard trink39.gif

When I read your post, my first thought was: holy shit, Chronicles is already 20 years old. I remember the day I bought it. I was just starting college and was excited to go pick it up just to get What You're Doing and Passage To Bangkok (which were excluded off the All The Worlds A Stage and Exit Stage Left cds).

applaudit.gif

Wow. I really hope you get some exposure on the commercial market. These are amazing.

Dear Rush's Management,

Use this guy. Please. Hugh may be able to do something as good, but certainly not better.

Curious: on the Rush Believe cover design, is the guy supposed to look vaguely like Neil? I see a resemblance to the Professor in his younger days.

I like it, although coming from another professional designer, it looks quite a bit more busy than something Hugh Syme would create. A little too much going on making it look a little cluttered. Hugh's more about clean, focused, streamlined artwork, rather than trying to add layers upon layers of stuff in photoshop.

Love the coloring though, the contrast of the red and white.

Dude...you NEED to send that over to RUSH immediately.

That is awesome...easily would be one of my favourite Rush covers, and I too am a huge fan of Hugh Syme.

In fact, I will already be disappointed if this is NOT the cover. That is simply outstanding work...keep it up.

Again...make sure to at least get Rush to view this. It's awesome! 1022.gif

I was bored so I figured Id post this on a design site I go to, so you can get some feedback from some experienced designers.

Most of them feel the same way I did, way too busy, composition isnt great, the most important thing, the band name, is not readable enough, album title too small, too many photoshop filters, bevels, drop shadows, etc.

http://www.qbn.com/topics/634672/?page=1#last_reply

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 09:58 AM)
I was bored so I figured Id post this on a design site I go to, so you can get some feedback from some experienced designers.

Most of them feel the same way I did, way too busy, composition isnt great, the most important thing, the band name, is not readable enough, album title too small, too many photoshop filters, bevels, drop shadows, etc.

I don't even know how to reply to this other than, WOW!

QUOTE (StevesRush @ Jun 11 2010, 09:53 AM)
Hello there,

Steve

My website

Goed gedaan jochie, mooi werkje

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 11 2010, 10:09 AM)

I don't even know how to reply to this other than, WOW!

These guys are designers, they would definitely know better than anyone here what works and what doesnt, and they see the same thing I do, it's too busy, very messy artwork.

I just posted it there to help this guy, so he can get better, not to ruin his day, I knew what the reaction to this would be there. But this is how designers get better, by people telling you your work sucks when it does.

The designers that remain average at best are the ones that have everyone telling them their work is great, therefore they have no reason to try and improve. If that guy reads that thread, believe me he will feel compelled to try and get better, it can only help him.

I find it a thoughtful thing to do by trenken. Accolades from us are nice to hear, sure. But if the OP is really looking to make this a career, then as trenken pointed out, he needs constructive criticism from other experienced professionals.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 11 2010, 10:27 AM)
I find it a thoughtful thing to do by trenken. Accolades from us are nice to hear, sure. But if the OP is really looking to make this a career, then as trenken pointed out, he needs constructive criticism from other experienced professionals.

Exactly biggrin.gif

Ive had people beat me up ever since I became a designer, and im very thankful for that. You cant improve if you dont know that you need to.

It's the very think that makes Rush what they are, they never feel like anything they create is good enough, so you keep pushing. Just trying to inspire this guy.

It's good artwork, no doubt. I have to agree that "RUSH" needs to be more visible, perhaps with a different color - maybe royal blue? Remember, you're selling the band, not the artwork.

Restricting the color scheme to just red and white is successful though except with the text color as mentioned above

Personally, I like covers that are simpler. "less is more" as they say. But that is just my opinion.

Trenken is right though, when it comes to design, critique is part of the game. It's supposed to help, not hurt, the designer.

I can see you didn't mean any harm...the only problem I have is you could have gone about it a different way.

Instead of just posting it without asking the guy at all, maybe you could have sent him a PM of the website and told him he could get better advice there?

I'd be very upset if I returned to this thread and saw that someone had taken my work and put it on another site without even asking me.

But maybe that's just me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 11 2010, 10:34 AM)
It's good artwork, no doubt. I have to agree that "RUSH" needs to be more visible, perhaps with a different color - maybe royal blue? Remember, you're selling the band, not the artwork.

Restricting the color scheme to just red and white is successful though except with the text color as mentioned above

Personally, I like covers that are simpler. "less is more" as they say. But that is just my opinion.

Trenken is right though, when it comes to design, critique is part of the game. It's supposed to help, not hurt, the designer.

You're right about simplifying album art these days. See what this guy posted on QBN, and he's absolutely right.

"My biggest problem is it's way to busy, detailed and the copy is way to small. It might work for a 12" vinyl but when it pops up on your iPod you're not going to be able to read it all."

Archived